Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'World will end on July 29' according to

jethrofloyd

Does not give us much time. I little lead time of a few decades would of been nice. I could of gotten to a few things I REALLY NEED to have done. Oh well, Goodbye everyone. I shall leave you all with this...

“Life ... is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

Enjoy the earthquake, floods, vacuum etc. etc. /skitters away to 10 million sq/ ft. underground fortress filled with provisions for centuries.

Another doomsday prophecy. This will be the 6th apocalypse I've lived through!

• Like 4

I guess I won't go to the Theme Park on the 29th. I'll get a free ride here.;)

This type of nonsense is mostly promulgated by fear mongers with a religious agenda, not necessarily conspiracy theorists as the title of this article suggests. But this is good news. I won't have to worry about not being able to pay my mortgage, phone, electric and water bills, not to mention credit card and car payments, at the end of the month. I think I'll totally max out my credit cards and take a two week vacation in Tahiti, starting tomorrow.

• Like 2

It's about damn time.

Harte

Ha! 

I just got out of jury duty!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJNYC said:

Jesus is God :)

I didn't say it revelations says it. none but god knows not even the son or angels.

I wonder what gives these freaks the audacity to make apocalyptic claims, with specific dates, which NEVER come true.

What happens when the apocalypse doesn't happen? Do these freak group leaders then claim that "they spiritually intervened to stop it"?

Keeps the blind sheep nibbling at the grass next to the leaders toes, I guess.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MJNYC said:

Jesus is God :)

Two lies in just three short words. You must be proud.

There is no evidence that any individual named Jesus existed.

There is no evidence that any god exists of any description.

That leaves you with just "is" as your best word. That is more than odd.

25 minutes ago, Abaddonire said:

The fact that you exist, that anything exists, from a "singularity" smaller than a pin-head 14 billion years ago, is enough for me to believe in God.

Take a moment to think of the energy and "compaction" No-one understands how it could happen.

It is truly beyond understanding.

July 29th? ... Good thing I bought a new suitcase lol...

all jokes a side, there is so much bad crap happening in the world today it's insane... So I have no doubt that will sadly lead up to some things... I'm a believer In many different aspects in this universe..., but July 29th being the end... Who knows ....

now I'm curious to see what happens 

1 hour ago, Abaddonire said:

That's odd. Tacitus, Seutonius and Pliny the Younger all seem to have known all about him and his execution and his followers. Suetonius even describes him lead riots in Rome in the 60s CE.

So far as I know, no one's involved with a concerted effort to call them liars or hoaxers. Mere trained historians credit Jesus with an independent existence, but surely you must know something they don't. In fact, philosophically, you can't prove or disprove the existence of god, so you're either smarter than or privy to more information than them. Maybe if you have access to more information than all of the rest of mankind, you're a god...

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

July 29th is a Friday. It's also payday for me. I really hope it ends at like 12:59 (Pacific Time) so I can at least be drinking with friends at the local pub.

• Like 2

If the world ends July 29th I will gladly give
you all the salt of the Earth. But until then
I will not squander even a pinch of it.

5 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

That's odd. Tacitus, Seutonius and Pliny the Younger all seem to have known all about him and his execution and his followers.

Suetonius even describes him lead riots in Rome in the 60s CE.

You might want to check that. All three describe a rebelious religious cult originating in a remote Roman province on the basis of a rabble rousing renegade rabbi who was executed years before they were even born. Suetonius describes no such thing, he describes christians leading riots, not jesus.

5 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

So far as I know, no one's involved with a concerted effort to call them liars or hoaxers. Mere trained historians credit Jesus with an independent existence, but surely you must know something they don't. In fact, philosophically, you can't prove or disprove the existence of god, so you're either smarter than or privy to more information than them. Maybe if you have access to more information than all of the rest of mankind, you're a god...

--Jaylemurph

I know what the scholarly consensus actually is, as opposed to christians who try to imagine what they wish it were. There is a difference.The consensus is that their was an itinerant jewih rabbi who managed to garner a cult following for a while in the Levant until the Romans executed him for sedition.

The null hypothesis is that none of the thousands of gods humanity has imagined exists. The burden of proof rests with the affirmative claimant to prove their claim correct thus falsifying the null, otherwise the null remains.

If anyone could provide me with actual evidence for their particular flavour of deity, I would convert. None have been able to come up with any, ever. Were I to claim that I had an invisible, undetectable pink unicorn living in my garage would you de facto accept my word? Or would you rightly say Wait a minute...

Thus it is with theists of whichever flavour one cares to mention. Their deity du jour is always undetectable and leaves precisely no evidence for his/her/it's/horse/cat/dog's existence.  

This, of course, brings us full circle right back to the end of the world predictions. I could show you, for example, all of the many TEOFTWAWKI religiously derived end dates, all of them flat out wrong. On another site, a christian nut claimed that he would usher in the end times by withering the grass at the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Obviously, this did not happen. Undeterred, he claims he will still do it at some unspecified future point. That is what religion does to your brain.

Want some more? OK. Elsewhere on the internet you find Eric. What a piece of work and most relevant to the topic at hand. He claims to be one of the two witnesses of the bible and is a serious repeat end times prophet. I could list all of his prophecies, but I will restrict myself to the latest. June 3/4 he and his fellow prophet will be sucked up by a UFO to travel to god. No well actually june 10th, no actually June 13th, July fourth, I meant July 10th, well actually July 15th (yesterday). It is uncertain how he will kick the can down the road this time, but he will. Because god.

So it will be with our current proposed end of the world prediction. July 29 will come and go. Whichever flavour of jesus they believe in will not show up in a blaze of glory and usher in the rapture, none of these things will happen. What will happen is that the promoters of this nonsense will simply glom on to the next EOTW date they find and happily promote that.

Have you so quickly forgotten Harold Camping? People destroyed their lives on foot of his bible bashing. Sold up all their good and chattels and funded billboards to promote his three failed prognostications. Count them. Then count where the money went. That is what religion does to you.

This latest prediction of the 29th? It will go the same way as every religious pronouncement over the past 2000 years plus. 

29 minutes ago, Abaddonire said:

You might want to check that. All three describe a rebelious religious cult originating in a remote Roman province on the basis of a rabble rousing renegade rabbi who was executed years before they were even born. Suetonius describes no such thing, he describes christians leading riots, not jesus.

I know what the scholarly consensus actually is, as opposed to christians who try to imagine what they wish it were. There is a difference.The consensus is that their was an itinerant jewih rabbi who managed to garner a cult following for a while in the Levant until the Romans executed him for sedition.

*snipped for the sake of space*

Actually, all 3 reference the man JESUS himself... by name... not just some Rabbi. This doesn't even go in to the historical evidence of the Babylonian Talmud... or the evidence from Lucian. Jesus the man is a historical figure, there is much evidence to show this... and all historians agree on that fact. Jesus being the son of God... that's a different story. You, nor I... nor Jaylemurph for that matter can confirm nor deny that... for we do not know. You are right, the proclaimer does have a burden of proof... yet you are wrong in stating that in defending your position you are not required to show your proof either. It works both ways. I myself am agnostic... I think there is something bigger out there... however, I do not make it a habit of going out of my way to bash on anyone's beliefs.. which is what you have done here from the beginning... and the saddest part is, this isn't even a religious thread. If some one expressing their beliefs angers you that much, you may want to take a look at what you have in your heart. There was no need for your little outburst. 

As for the 29th being the end... I don't think so. The pole flip (if it indeed happens) may cause something, but I don't think it will be catastrophic. When this type of event happens it leaves the earth vulnerable to charged particles and it may disrupt power grids and sat com... however, most new evidence suggest that we arent due for this event for some time... and its not the first time it has happened. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dredimus said:

Actually, all 3 reference the man JESUS himself... by name... not just some Rabbi. This doesn't even go in to the historical evidence of the Babylonian Talmud... or the evidence from Lucian. Jesus the man is a historical figure, there is much evidence to show this... and all historians agree on that fact. Jesus being the son of God... that's a different story. You, nor I... nor Jaylemurph for that matter can confirm nor deny that... for we do not know. You are right, the proclaimer does have a burden of proof... yet you are wrong in stating that in defending your position you are not required to show your proof either. It works both ways. I myself am agnostic... I think there is something bigger out there... however, I do not make it a habit of going out of my way to bash on anyone's beliefs.. which is what you have done here from the beginning... and the saddest part is, this isn't even a religious thread. If some one expressing their beliefs angers you that much, you may want to take a look at what you have in your heart. There was no need for your little outburst. 

As for the 29th being the end... I don't think so. The pole flip (if it indeed happens) may cause something, but I don't think it will be catastrophic. When this type of event happens it leaves the earth vulnerable to charged particles and it may disrupt power grids and sat com... however, most new evidence suggest that we arent due for this event for some time... and its not the first time it has happened. 

Why should I prove anything? I make no affirmative claim whatsoever beyond the obvious one that no evidence of any deity has ever been presented. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.