Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
astrochem

Heard voice whisper my name

64 posts in this topic

astrochem

ok, so I go into my kitchen at 2am for something to eat.  I cut some strawberries and start eating a few, I am in the middle of a thought when I hear someone whisper my name really loud really close.  It was an old man's voice and it scared the life out of me.  I immediately freaked, I look around, grab a knife from drawer and turn on all the lights, I start heading into empty rooms and no surprise I find nothing.  Now it's 45 mins later and my skin is still crawling.  I am as positive as I can be that something whispered my name, it was very clear, very loud and very close.  I have no idea what to make of this.  Anyone ever experience anything like this?  Kind of at a loss here.  

• Like 3

An Urban Leg3nd

Well,...it can be one of two vastly different things. First, it could be psychosis. And two, it could be the voice of an evil spirit of some sort or like a dead person. I don't think your crazy at all. Me personally, I don't believe our minds can make us hear "voices" because of a "chemical imbalance" or some other reason which really doesn't make sense. I've dealt with this before. The voice or voices have a source,...and it's not all in your mind. I can't recommend how to counter this though. Just try to keep your mind silent and your ears open. You literally could be hearing voices all throughout the day in your own mind and you'll never even realize it because most people hear things and think it is their own thoughts, but in reality- it's an evil spirit of some sort speaking to you. Im an atheist,...I dont believe in God. But I believe spirits exist, and they do and can interact with humans, and one way is via the human mind. I've dealt with this sort of stuff,...it's nothing to play with. You can literally be walking around all day hearing voices, thinking it's your own thoughts and mind that you've been hearing, but if you be silent and pay attention and quiet your mind and listen, you find the it's really not you making you hear these things. It's something outside of you. If you hear more stuff you can go see a doctor, but trust me, they dont know what the hell to do in a situation like this besides throw medication at you and "hope" the symptoms disappear. Good luck to you...Im still fighting my own battle with these b*******.

• Like 1

astrochem
2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

This site has valid information the topic. https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/h/hearing-voices

Is what what you do? You mock people with psuedo-science and mental illness when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?  Trying to be an internet doctor with a toilet paper degree in "Google Searching"?  What are you even doing on this site?  Take a long walk off a short pier.  

• Like 1

preacherman76

That happened to me once when I was like 14 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was meeting some friends at this old abandon house. I got there before they did, an waited outside for them to come. Then I thought they actually got there an were hiding in the house to scare me. It was kinda scary in that house alone, so I pumped my self up, an started walking through the house to find them. When I got to the last room, I realized no one was there. That's when I heard it. Sounded just like you described. Like a old man whispered my name right in my ear. I ran outta there as fast as my legs could take me lol.

• Like 3

Zenith
3 hours ago, astrochem said:

Is what what you do? You mock people with psuedo-science and mental illness when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?  Trying to be an internet doctor with a toilet paper degree in "Google Searching"?  What are you even doing on this site?  Take a long walk off a short pier.  

You were given an information on one possible explanation. That's all. So dial it back a notch. If you are not open to suggestions, then I would also ask you the same question: What are you doing on this site? Because with any experience ALL possible explanations should be presented and examined. And that's what you'll get here. After that you can take what you want from it and form your own conclusions. As for the voice you heard, it was most likely an auditory hallucination. Auditory hallucinations are not always a sign of mental illness and could instead be a result of sleep deprivation, depression, and other things.

Anyway, I can understand why that would freak you out. I once heard a voice tell me to get up  and lock the garage. I got up, did it and then went WTF just happened? I figured it was an inner voice.. just me reminding myself to lock it because I had forgotten to. Not once did I think it was paranormal.

But if you want to believe it's an evil spirit and live with the fear that comes along with it, then knock yourself out.

• Like 6

Hammerclaw

Cthulhu?

• Like 3

XenoFish

So what did the old man say? I mean you hear a voice at 2am, did you run down a list of mundane explanations, or just jump the gun and say ghost?

• Like 1

OverSword

Drugs?

Just kidding.

Edited by OverSword

White Unicorn
10 hours ago, astrochem said:

ok, so I go into my kitchen at 2am for something to eat.  I cut some strawberries and start eating a few, I am in the middle of a thought when I hear someone whisper my name really loud really close.  It was an old man's voice and it scared the life out of me.  I immediately freaked, I look around, grab a knife from drawer and turn on all the lights, I start heading into empty rooms and no surprise I find nothing.  Now it's 45 mins later and my skin is still crawling.  I am as positive as I can be that something whispered my name, it was very clear, very loud and very close.  I have no idea what to make of this.  Anyone ever experience anything like this?  Kind of at a loss here.  

Welcome to UM :)

Look into you own experiences skeptically, rule out the most probable reasons first then go from there.

Don't let sceptical opinions upset you because they are only trying to be helpful.

This was your first experience so it could be many things. Keep notes on any happenings and witnesses to figure out if it's something out of the ordinary.

This is a good sight for looking into unexplained things but even the believers discuss all the possibilities to rule out the mundane.

Don't be afraid is the best advice I can give you at this point, since we don't know what caused it for sure.

• Like 2

Hammerclaw

Yog-Sothoth?

Hammerclaw
8 hours ago, astrochem said:

You post all your drama on the internet asking for advice and then are offended when it is offered? You must be some special kind of stupid.:huh:

• Like 3

aquatus1

Tone it down, Hammerclaw.  Same to you, Astrochem.

• Like 2

GlitterRose

Don't tell anyone at your house, and see if anyone else experiences it. That used to happen to me a lot, and then it started happening to my partner and people who visited. Ultimately, I figured out how to control it, so I figured that and other phenomena were coming from me, somehow. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

ShadowBoy86x

Creeeepy, hope it doesnt happen again. Try not to think about it

CigaretteSmokingMan

I'm more bothered by the eating of strawberries at 2am..

EzyEllis

I've had my name whispered in my right ear by nothing. My right ear became very alert its the only way I can explain it, I just laid in bed at the time so I dunno. I doubt many late nights helped contribute into that factor, But whatever it was was not that creepy more soothing. 

crystal sage

;)  maybe it was some spirit that also like strawberries ...

XenoFish

I hope it happens again and all hell breaks loose. Would make a better story.

• Like 2

Ruby04

It could have been because it was 2am and your brain was tired. Our brain works in odd ways and not everything about it is yet known.

• Like 2

crystal sage
41 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

It could have been because it was 2am and your brain was tired. Our brain works in odd ways and not everything about it is yet known.

In my previous house.. which was amazingly haunted..( it has been sold at least 3 times since as the owners were freaked out by poltergeist activities)  most of the haunting activity took place around 2:30 in the morning..

Ruby04
5 minutes ago, crystal sage said:

In my previous house.. which was amazingly haunted..( it has been sold at least 3 times since as the owners were freaked out by poltergeist activities)  most of the haunting activity took place around 2:30 in the morning..

While that was your experience there is no set time for odd things to happen. I've had strange things happen in my home or in public at all hours of the day. However at a time like 2/2:30am you would be more likely to be surprised by any odd things going on

• Like 1

crystal sage
1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

While that was your experience there is no set time for odd things to happen. I've had strange things happen in my home or in public at all hours of the day. However at a time like 2/2:30am you would be more likely to be surprised by any odd things going on

Me too... :)   It's fun... especially if these occurrences happen so that others can experience them with you..   I had toys that would play all by themselves.. to the extent that they interacted with what was going on in the house.. almost like responses.. and they even frightened visitors.. The talking Fischer Price toys were the best as they had sentences or in the case of being cheeky.. every time my husband walked into the house after a long absence.. he worked away ..the Fischer price toy would go.. This is a pig.. oink oink.. ( he was bit of a chauvinist).. it even played when it was on the wrong side.. or when we removed the batteries.. il_340x270.452986640_hsuu.jpg

• Like 1

coolguy

I hear my name get called is it paranomal maybe 

• Like 1

crystal sage
2 minutes ago, coolguy said:

I hear my name get called is it paranomal maybe 

Depends... is there someone else there calling you in the room or from a distance ?  Could it be you talking to yourself  ( loud thoughts) ? or is it outside yourself.. mysterious voice..    some of the collected wisdom from the Sherlock Holmes novels might be useful here.. ;)  http://sherlockholmesquotes.com/sherlock-holmes-on-problem-solving/