Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ducks much smarter than previously thought

UM-Bot

They're still a bunch of quaks.;)

• Like 3

That's quacktastic!

This makes me super happy I don't eat Duck. Even though I'm not a vegetarian and the ducklings may only be somewhat smarter than originally thought, for me, eating an intelligent creature doesn't sit well lol.

• Like 1

I dont know what the big deal is..If you top the class you are the ducks (DUX)

"In the Roman military, a dux would be a general in charge of two or more legions. While the title of dux could refer to a consul or imperator, it usually refers to the Roman governor of the provinces."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dux

"Dux is also the root of various high feudal noble titles of peerage rank, such as (via the French duc) the English duke, the Spanish and Portuguese duque, the Venetian doge, the Italian duca and duce, and the Byzantine Greek dukas or doukas (Gr. δούκας) (see Doukas)."

• Like 2

Well this seems to be a trend recently.  All animals seem to be smarter than first thought.........except HUMANS.  We're getting dumber by the minute.  Pokeman Go is a prime example.

• Like 1

Most animals are much smarter than most humans believe them to be.  

Someday we will learn.

This research was done in controlled conditions at oxford university, I live among ducks daily, they are certainly not stupid, they live by their instincts, nothing new there, but what this research did not show is the ducks are not so clever when a heron is around.  Nature can be cruel, but that`s also the way animals survive out there. 

There are different levels to their cleverness and testing them in a controlled environment is not a true reflection on how they work - or do not work.