Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When was America Great?

Thanato

6 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Directly from the first post by the OP:

Trumps slogan... To make America Great Again? When was it greater then it is right now? In terms of equality, never. In terms of human rights, never. In terms of economic strength, never. In terms of Military strength, never.

yes there are problems with your nation, but those problems will not be decided through violent divisiveness.

can anyone explain to me how Trump is even an attractive political leader?

-------------------

So, my comments are in fact directly relevant to the OP post.

The only thing he did was use Trump's slogan to pick our brains. Apparently you have Trump on the brain. Trump has had zero influence on the state of our nation at this point.

You could save us all a lot of time and put it in your profile quote. We've heard the same thing over and over again like a broken record.

Edited by Michelle

To be fair, this sentence is at the bottom of the opening post:

"can anyone explain to me how Trump is even an attractive political leader?"

My answer to that question:

I think the reason he's so popular is because he's not seen as a political leader, but rather as an 'Everyman' kind of guy who mocks the politicians who are messing things up so badly. He's a marketing genius, that's for sure.

• Like 1

While under Obama we are now practically in a race war and police are being ambushed and murdered. There is mister unity right there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

While under Obama we are now practically in a race war and police are being ambushed and murdered. There is mister unity right there.

So, you think that Trump as President will magically stop racism and police ambush?

Think again. Trump IS a racist.

16 minutes ago, pallidin said:

So, you think that Trump as President will magically stop racism and police ambush?

I didn't think Obama would be as divisive as he has been. He was the one that was supposed to bring all of us together, remember? Things haven't been this bad since the sixties as far as race relations.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

To add to my post above:

Mr. Trump is the only candidate that appears to be serious about securing our borders and addressing the influx of unvetted immigrants from hostile countries. If we don't regain control of our lawful (and legitimate) immigration quotas, we're going to disintegrate. It's inevitable. And if that happens, we won't be living under Sharia Law, we'll be living in chaos and civil war. No one is going to 'win' a culture war.

Of course Mr. Trump isn't an ideal Presidential candidate, but at least he's not afraid to talk about the real world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thanato said:

Trumps slogan... To make America Great Again? When was it greater then it is right now? In terms of equality, never. In terms of human rights, never. In terms of economic strength, never. In terms of Military strength, never.

yes there are problems with your nation, but those problems will not be decided through violent divisiveness.

can anyone explain to me how Trump is even an attractive political leader?

I'm not going to bother with the Trump question you posed- other folks are already running away with that one.

But I think America has always been great. It's always sucked too. Just some things have changed and some things are different.

I think we were great when the land was just native peoples, and the wild wonder of the earth itself- that beauty and wild wonder is still there thanks to a lot of greatness out of the parks system and people that try to protect those resources. We were great in our formation as a nation, and great through a lot of hard times and good times that showed our strength and unity as a people. We are great with freedoms that get taken for granted that not everywhere has. We have made great progress in human rights, and industry.. we have great riches in the arts.

We have always been brash, and full of ourselves, as an infant nation that is just starting to mature is. Curious and proud, intelligent, resourceful, and inventive. We are also cynical, jaded, vitriolic, and superior in our growing pains as a nation.

But we are also a nation that once was great with exploring and infrastructure progress.. and we really aren't anymore. What we took great strides and pride in building is crumbling.

We are a nation of great industry.. but we rest on our laurels of yesteryear and thump our chests missing those days rather than keep on working to keep it working.

We used to extra suck at human rights, and have made great strides there... and we still suck as a society about a lot of it.

We have always been a house divided, and yet still manage to be a melting pot.

We are a great asset and a great woe to the world.

I think there are some great things we should return to, but I don't think it would make America great again, because I don't think it has ever lost it's greatness. There is no golden age to hold up as that defining time of greatness- because all of those times have had a lot of sucking going on too.

• Like 5

What rashore said/suggested.

We are a melting-pot of immigrants.

Indeed, our very Nation was created from such.

Now, does there need to be immigration reform, especially in the light of worldwide Islamic radicals? Of course.

That is NOT a question on EITHER side of the Congressional aisle.

What IS the question is "How do we implement this" properly for national security whilst preserving the American ideal and the US Constitution.

Hard call, to be sure.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rashore said:

But we are also a nation that once was great with exploring and infrastructure progress.. and we really aren't anymore. What we took great strides and pride in building is crumbling.

We are a nation of great industry.. but we rest on our laurels of yesteryear and thump our chests missing those days rather than keep on working to keep it working.

So what policy ideas would you like to see implemented to upgrade our infrastructure issues and return a robust industry sector to the economy?

Trump believes, feels and consumes the idea that individual wealth, at whatever cost to the common citizen or environment, outweighs everything.

My pet creepy crawler ant would, by far, make a better president than Trump.

7 hours ago, Thanato said:

Get real! Most of the violence comes from your side (the Left).

55 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Hard call, to be sure.

Yes, it will be an extremely hard call.

Our politicians have been avoiding the issue since before Ronald Reagan was president. If we had fixed the problem back in the 1960s, it would've been manageable; now we have to deal with a Mexican economy that's dependent on American dollars flowing south across the border, and an expansionist China waiting to jump in and fill the void when America-Mexico relations turn sour.

And it doesn't help that Americans' appetite for drugs is arming the cartels and sending terrified Mexican citizens fleeing across our border to safety. 

I don't know if we can return to sensibility at this point, but it's reassuring to me that Mr. Trump isn't hiding his head in the political sand. If nothing else, I hope he can at least inspire the next generation of American politicians to speak as bluntly he does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pallidin said:

My pet creepy crawler ant would, by far, make a better president than Trump.

Could we possibly keep the conversation at a reasonably intelligent level? :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Get real! Most of the violence comes from your side (the Left).

Ok. Thank you for your opinion. But I consider my self in the Center (but I guess a Hard Core Canadian Conservative would still be an American Democrate). But there is violence from both Sides of the political spectrum in the United States. 

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Could we possibly keep the conversation at a reasonably intelligent level? :rolleyes:

How intelligent does one need to be to realize that Trump is an immature freakazoid?

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

trump cannot be a racist because he is a capitalist. i doubt he wouldnt hire a great person because of race. he may be a bigot but then we all are without question biggoted in some way.

Just now, pbarosso said:

trump cannot be a racist because he is a capitalist. i doubt he wouldnt hire a great person because of race. he may be a bigot but then we all are without question biggoted in some way.

American History is filled with Great Capitolists who are Racists and Prejudice. Just because he believes in money over all things does not mean his does not believe in Racial Superiority or Prejudice ideas towards ethnicities (he has proven the later on the campaign trail).

Trump has shown time and time again in his past that he is willing to hire people and then screw them out of their hard earned money. He is great at making money, but is a terrible businessman. 

look people please realize that its the democrats that are carving up our society by creating  affected groups and then directing their rage, and then swooping in to "represent them". 

here is a fictional example:

democrats lower the voting age to ten years old so they can grab the 10-16year old votes. then they appeal to the rest of us to let them be child workers because they might help support their families by mowing lawns or working at factories making nikes. they would then accuse the republicans of having no heart and "how dare they block ten year olds from being able to get a work permit (or no WP)" then any conservatives/repubs would look like *******s that are trying to oppress minorities.

thus they would wrap up the 10-16 demographic.

7 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Ok. Thank you for your opinion. But I consider my self in the Center (but I guess a Hard Core Canadian Conservative would still be an American Democrate). But there is violence from both Sides of the political spectrum in the United States. 

youll find ten acts of violence including burning flags (hate crime...no really it is) for every one committed by conservatives.......heres a hint (us conservatives arent crazy. we cant afford to be. we raise our families right)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pallidin said:

How intelligent does one need to be to realize that Trump is an immature freakazoid?

I've always thought you were a fairly intelligent person, but I don't enjoy conversing with someone who has this 1st grade, playground mentality. I don't like the Three Stooges either. Well, not since I was about eight anyway.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Just now, pbarosso said:

look people please realize that its the democrats that are carving up our society by creating  affected groups and then directing their rage, and then swooping in to "represent them". 

here is a fictional example:

democrats lower the voting age to ten years old so they can grab the 10-16year old votes. then they appeal to the rest of us to let them be child workers because they might help support their families by mowing lawns or working at factories making nikes. they would then accuse the republicans of having no heart and "how dare they block ten year olds from being able to get a work permit (or no WP)" then any conservatives/repubs would look like *******s that are trying to oppress minorities.

thus they would wrap up the 10-16 demographic.

You should probably use a fictional example that best suits the targetted audiance (Left Liberals). The example you gave would be better suited towards hypercapitolist right side conservatives who believe in the dollar above all else. But hey that is just me.

2 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

youll find ten acts of violence including burning flags (hate crime...no really it is) for every one committed by conservatives.......heres a hint (us conservatives arent crazy. we cant afford to be. we raise our families right)

The Vast majority of the Population of the United States sits between two crazy sides (the Far Right and the Far Left). For every example of crazyness and violence you show of the far left, an equally repulsive example can be found on the far right.

Explain how to raise a family 'right'? and how to raise a family 'wrong'?

Edited by Thanato

2 minutes ago, Thanato said:

You should probably use a fictional example that best suits the targetted audiance (Left Liberals). The example you gave would be better suited towards hypercapitolist right side conservatives who believe in the dollar above all else. But hey that is just me.

well, it applies to the idea that dems use emotion, which is the first thing people use when reacting.

Just now, pbarosso said:

well, it applies to the idea that dems use emotion, which is the first thing people use when reacting.

Both sides use emotion. From what I have seen that is Trumps Entire platform is using emotion. The emotion of fear.

• Like 1