Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When was America Great?

Thanato

27 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Yes, they are a minority, and I don't understand why! Honestly, even the greediest of the caricature 'evil corporations' should be able to see the potential profits. I don't get it. 

Regarding  Trump:

I don't know if Trump owns any businesses that offer profit-sharing plans. Last I heard, he owns about 150 businesses. It would be interesting to see a list of them. 

Here is that list - http://qz.com/461688/a-list-of-everything-donald-trump-runs-that-has-his-name-on-it/

• Like 1

Trump is using a "doom and gloom" platform to scare people into thinking that he, Trump is the ONLY answer.

Just shows, repeatedly, how sick and immature he is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

80s and early 90s as well, though it started eroding once Clinton took office.  Early 2000's started to look good, then the bottom fell out badly when unjust war was brought to our soil.

Yeah, I think ol'd Ron deserves some credit as well,. (And even Bush I, though some may find it hard to believe I might ever give him some credit.)  

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Trump is using a "doom and gloom" platform to scare people into thinking that he, Trump is the ONLY answer.

Just shows, repeatedly, how sick and immature he is.

oh lord, here we go again

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

How do we get revenue from their investments in Africa and South America? 

The "it doesn't matter who owns/makes it as long as we get revenue from it" to me is an absurd and shortsighted argument. As you have already pointed out their rate of innovation is on the rise. They are developing infrastructure upgrades  while we seem content to ride out on current royalty/licensing fees that are not going to last. 

We in my opinion do need to invest in manufacturing again. I'm not advocating government subsidation of outdated processes. I am in favor of incentives that drive domestic production and innovation. Relax zoning regulations, licensing, and other policies that cripple small scale entrepreneurial endeavors. 

I don't think there is such a thing as small scale manufacturing anymore.  The big fish easily gobble up any profitable manufacturing operation by virtue of scale alone.  A small scale manufacturer doesn't have the infrastructure to market, transport, or sell their goods like the behemoths do.  The closest thing I have seen to a successful small scale manufacturer are the various micro-brewers.

• Like 1

Just now, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

oh lord, here we go again

Don't even attempt that weirdness to try and deflect away from the established fact that Trump is a freak, and a dangerous one at that.

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

One of the first companies I worked for had profit sharing.  Unfortunately, what the owner didn't tell everyone was that he was reinvesting a good portion of the income into the company and increasing his and his wife's wages before determining "profit".  So every other year the company was suffering a loss and the employees got nothing.

That's where the balance between Labor and Management comes in: A business should have the right to operate the business in a financially responsible manner (reinvestment is generally a wise business move).  

Regarding the owners giving themselves raises: 

I don't necessarily see that as unethical, unless it's done to extremes, or used to unfairly skim profits away from employees who have a reasonable expectation of fair and impartial profit distribution. 

I'm very pro-Union, so of course my solution would be to give a Union Oversight Committee access to the books. The system works best when there's a mutual trust between Labor and Management. 

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Just now, pallidin said:

Don't even attempt that weirdness to try and deflect away from the established fact that Trump is a freak, and a dangerous one at that.

What? Don't even attempt that weirdness? What weirdness? Who's the one who hijacks every single thread to point out to us that the Trump is a dangerous freak? Would you like to comment on the actual topic of the thread, perhaps?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

What? Don't even attempt that weirdness? What weirdness? Who's the one who hijacks every single thread to point out to us that the Trump is a dangerous freak? Would you like to comment on the actual topic of the thread, perhaps?

I already have commented... it's moved on by other's, if you haven't noticed.

1 minute ago, simplybill said:

Thanks HAI. 

Wow. Great link.

9 minutes ago, simplybill said:

That's where the balance between Labor and Management comes in: A business should have the right to operate the business in a financially responsible manner (reinvestment is generally a wise business move).  

Regarding the owners giving themselves raises: 

I don't necessarily see that as unethical, unless it's done to extremes, or used to unfairly skim profits away from employees who have a reasonable expectation of fair and impartial profit distribution. 

I'm very pro-Union, so of course my solution would be to give a Union Oversight Committee access to the books. The system works best when there's a mutual trust between Labor and Management. 

It was non-Union.  There was no oversight.  It all came into light when the owner went bankrupt for the third time.  (He put his physical assets into storage during the bankruptcy so they wouldn't be listed as assets).

He's the one that told me," People are just resources meant to be discarded when no longer useful."  Did I mention he was a church elder?  He is finally retiring out of the construction business from the company he started after his 5th bankruptcy.  

Ironically, he was the reason I went Union.

• Like 1

Trump want's his tombstone to read ...

"I was President, I win !! The rest of you are stupid sheeples and served ME"

Edited by pallidin

STOP IT WILL YOU. THIS IS NOT ABOUT TRUMP. PLEASE ANSWER THE  QUESTION WITH WHICH THIS TOPIC IS CONCERNED. 

Honestly, it's like that feller with the dog, it must be an automatic response that whenever anyone mentions the presidential candidate for the Republican party it sets off this instinctive response with the witty satire. 

7 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I don't think there is such a thing as small scale manufacturing anymore.  The big fish easily gobble up any profitable manufacturing operation by virtue of scale alone.  A small scale manufacturer doesn't have the infrastructure to market, transport, or sell their goods like the behemoths do.  The closest thing I have seen to a successful small scale manufacturer are the various micro-brewers.

It's out there though not as prevalent as it could be. Even back in the "good old days" big companies bought out small ones especially those with a desirable product or process patent.  With today's ability to inexpensively market on social media and inexpensive logistics for transport there is no reason a clever enterprise cannot compete against behemoth corporations on a local/regional level if not even globally. Often if the little guy can make a superior product large companies will contract with them to do private label of their products in the large companies name. The margin may be lower but the volume and capital flow allows for expansion of the smaller business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

STOP IT WILL YOU. THIS IS NOT ABOUT TRUMP. PLEASE ANSWER THE  QUESTION WITH WHICH THIS TOPIC IS CONCERNED. 

It IS about both Trump and Clinton... hello???

It's about when, in your view, was America "great", if ever. Please, it's getting really really tiresome when you keep on about him with your amusing satire all the flaming time

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Honestly, it's like that feller with the dog, it must be an automatic response that whenever anyone mentions the presidential candidate for the Republican party it sets off this instinctive response with the witty satire. 

I've voted (yes, I'm an active voter) for both Rep and Dems over the years. I don't subscribe to partisan politics at all.

I just consider the most mature candidate in an election cycle, regardless of party affiliation. Trump, IMO, is a total ass.

Edited by pallidin

Maybe, but not every thread is about that.

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 1

Another thread derail, I see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Another thread derail, I see.

Hello!!!!! This thread isn't about Santa Claus...

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Hello!!!!! This thread isn't about Santa Claus...

This thread is about the past, you know, before today. It has absolutely nothing to do with this election Trump or Clinton. 

If someone asks you what your favorite year was you'd say before Trump was running for prez.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Directly from the first post by the OP:

Trumps slogan... To make America Great Again? When was it greater then it is right now? In terms of equality, never. In terms of human rights, never. In terms of economic strength, never. In terms of Military strength, never.

yes there are problems with your nation, but those problems will not be decided through violent divisiveness.

can anyone explain to me how Trump is even an attractive political leader?

-------------------

So, my comments are in fact directly relevant to the OP post.

~

~