Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How far will Erdogan go?

and-then

16 hours ago, and then said:

My thoughts, exactly.  He's been acting in an unstable fashion lately and surrounding a NATO airbase is not exactly normal behavior.  

Erdogan knows the strategic importance of Turkey and is probably rubbing his hands with glee at the moment -

While publicly supporting him and speaking against the coup - I expect it's a different story behind closed doors -

That Fethullah Gulen chap looks like he would have trouble walking up a few stairs let alone planning a coup,
but aren't there rumblings about possible CIA involvement ...?...and perhaps the US / NATO nuclear base in Turkey is
one of the reasons that the West would rather Erdogan was deposed - because basically he can't be trusted ...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lord Fedorable said:

That your analogy was specious. Osama was a fly, who avoided the sledgehammer of three presidents. The Viet Cong were flies. 

The analogy was hardly specious. It was meant to illustrate the difference in military strength. Whilst we may not always use the full force of it, we nevertheless have it. As for Vietnam, the failure there was a result of our containment policy and the decision not to mount a full scale war against communism and risk an even bigger conflict with the Soviet Union. As for that idiot jerk face bin Laden, the coward hid, but we found him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Clair said:

Oh and by the way, if the FBI ever took a look at my search history, I'm going to point the finger at you guys. Looking up crap like 'how easy is it to get fissile material", "how vulnerable is Incirlik," "what happens to people when they die," does not make me look good.

I've thought about this as well. And considering some of the err...'interesting' (that's a good choice of words) people I've come into contact with over my time as a UM mod probably makes me look err...'less than sane' (another good choice of words).

• Like 4

As to what I think Mr Erdogan is doing, hard to tell as he's very influenced by his religion and that tends to make people irrational IMO.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

As to what I think Mr Erdogan is doing, hard to tell as he's very influenced by his religion and that tends to make people irrational IMO.

'irrational' ---- another 'good choice of words' :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

There is a dangerous duality to him. Religion and an over-inflated ego are never a good combination. Would be a shame if someone dropped a bomb on his $615 million compound wouldn't it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clair said:

There is a dangerous duality to him. Religion and an over-inflated ego are never a good combination. Would be a shame if someone dropped a bomb on his $615 million compound wouldn't it.

Allow me, as one of those "religious" types ;) to mention something else that isn't a "good" combination but which is hinted at in Ezekiel - there is a "latter days, time of the 'end' " prediction of three major players and a handful of lesser types coming to attack Israel after it has been regathered. That began in 1948 in earnest. Those nations are MaGog (most believe this is Russia), Turkey, Iran and Sudan, Libya and some of the "Stan's" nation of the southern Caucasus.  The thing they all have in common is Islam.  Erdogan seems to be becoming chummy with both Russia and Iran today and Russia and Iran have for the first time ever become defacto partners against the West.  To paraphrase John Lennon "history is that thing that happens while everyone is making other plans".  When this attack occurs it will be Israel against all of the world basically since no one will come to their aid.  It has a very interesting predicted ending.

• Like 1

He's like the big bad wolf huffing and puffing.at the wrong house. Eventually he'll have the wind knocked right out of him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zenith said:

He's like the big bad wolf huffing and puffing.at the wrong house. Eventually he'll have the wind knocked right out of him.

Well, he is overestimating himself... right now he is in the process of p***ing off the EU, which means cutting his economical life line. If I were the commander of Incirlik it would be on maximum alarm. But I would not go much further than that for the time being. Erdogan is not yet ready to take over Saddam's role.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, questionmark said:

Well, he is overestimating himself... right now he is in the process of p***ing off the EU, which means cutting his economical life line. If I were the commander of Incirlik it would be on maximum alarm. But I would not go much further than that for the time being. Erdogan is not yet ready to take over Saddam's role.

The guy is a walking time bomb. He's outlived his usefulness to the west and the coup was proof enough. He is in the process of forsaking Turkey's goodwill and importance all cause of his desire for absolute Putin style "democracy." 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Clair said:

...only if he was't inside. ;)

• Like 3

On 8/1/2016 at 7:36 AM, Lilly said:

actually Lilly Christianity influenced America so what exactly are you saying?

well, looks like he is trying a different rick now:

Turkish lawyer files complaint accusing U.S. generals of aiding coup attempt

ISTANBUL — Barely a day after the Pentagon's top official arrived in Turkey in a bid to cool growing tensions between Ankara and Washington, a Turkish lawyer filed a criminal complaint against him and two other senior U.S. officials.

It accused Marine Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Gen. Joseph Votel, the top U.S. commander in the Middle East; and National Intelligence Director James R. Clapper Jr. of conspiring with the plotters behind the failed July 15 coup attempt, which ended only after a rebellious faction of the military had bombed parliament and turned their weapons on civilian protesters in Istanbul and Ankara.

Local media reports identify the lawyer as Mert Yilmaz and say that part of the evidence Yilmaz presents against the American officials includes the White House's supposedly delayed condemnation of the coup plot as well as the presence of pro-coup commentary on American TV outlets such as Fox News.

Read more on The Washington Post

Today he was quoted: "Yes, we have Allah, and we have tanks and canons."
"Leaders" of his kind can only survive if they have an outside enemy who takes all the blame.
Appeasement is surely not the right answer.
By the way, this 'coup' was performed in such a silly way that it looks like a poorly fabricated drama to me.

• Like 2

On 31 de julio de 2016 at 3:52 PM, and then said:

Okay, I can see that.  Ideas?  The EU certainly doesn't have the cajones OR the combined arms experience to fight an Army that size.  I think I'd fall over dumbstruck if Obama assaulted him in earnest after a military buildup/attempted breaching of the base.  I know next to nothing about security measures for NATO nukes but I've heard we have plans for a fast reaction/devastating use of force if Pakistan's nukes were over run.  This man is going to be a REAL problem sooner or later.

In europe we don't have currently the COJONES, the eggs or testicles. But we had big ones in S. XVII when the Spanish Marines defeated the Turky Empire, when the spanish Armada Invencible sunk all the msulims ships in the Bosforo gulf.

and the saga continues...on a slight different playing field:

Turkey threatens credit rating agencies

As the clock ticks for crucial reviews of the Turkish economy by major credit raters, the country’s top leaders are already fuming at the agencies. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan set the tone last week, targeting Fitch Ratings and Moody’s Investors Service.

“Turkey faces no risk of an economic crisis. The [agencies’] statements are politically motivated. They are void of any economic and scientific basis,” Erdogan told journalists on a flight back from Qatar. “They’ve done it before, and I severed ties with Standard & Poor’s. If they go on with this attitude, I’ll tell the prime minister to sever ties with them as well. We’ve gained nothing from them. We owe them nothing for where we stand today. Both you and I are aware of what’s going on behind the curtains.”

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu followed suit. “The credit rating agencies are making incorrect assessments. They issue messages for the slightest of tensions,” he said. “We expect them to make objective assessments that don’t mislead the markets. Turkey won’t keep silent if they create an anticipation of a crisis through manipulative reports.”

looks like Erdogan is the last Prussian left and acts faithfully to its motto: lots of enemies, lots of honor.

• Like 1

It is time for a new Crusade, but based on the spanish way of doing: Conquer. Not helping them to be democratic. Offering to reject the islamic religion or death. Then they can choose to be ateos or christians. 

If not, the muslims will conquer us by the terror that they are doing now..

3 hours ago, Avanter said:

It is time for a new Crusade, but based on the spanish way of doing: Conquer. Not helping them to be democratic. Offering to reject the islamic religion or death. Then they can choose to be ateos or christians. 

I tend to agree. The Liberals will scream like their hair is on fire but they offer no other solution either.  If we follow that course however, we'd have to prepare for an eventual nuclear exchange with Pakistan or Iran.  The other option is just to fight the long, bloody fight and prove that western freedom will not be removed from the world.  Eventually maybe the non fundamentalist Muslims would gain ascendancy.  

• Like 1

Each time I read anything about Turkey, I see a paranoia about Erdogan. Well turkey  is not Erdogan, there are 75 million of people who live in there. And this Erdogan touching Incirlik base is non-sense, Turkey is NATO member and nothing would happen to the nuclear weapons and nowadays every single army base is the the same situation as Incirlik. If you are so concern, And I suggest US to withdrawn from Middles East and close the bases if its citizens  are so concern about the weapons, but guess they cannot do it because Middle East is too important to withdwran and US cannot take her nose out from the region and you do not even realize how much pain,destruction and blood the US and its western allies foreign policy and sneaky plans cost in the Middle East. syria is mess because of other countries, those countries includes turkey, her lovely ally the US and their western eu friends and and if there is democracy in those countries, and if their citizens have a right to say, they should pressure their governments to change their foreign policy, if they cannot , or do not involve their countries politics and take an active role in the criticism of their country's policies even with the expense of their own luxury and comfort, then please do not talk about how bad middle easterners or Muslims are... Turkish middle class, and educated youths are active, they citize their government even when there is police violance , jailing, public shaming, or loosing a job. 

4 hours ago, Avanter said:

Well,maybe all your theories would come to life  in your parallel universe, but if you plan to do a crusade and have leading role,make sure to pick your soldiers among the ambitious people like you instead of drafting  poor families children in the army  to die your for own comfort .     

On Monday, August 01, 2016 at 3:51 PM, questionmark said:

Why is everyone surprised? I statet the change a month ago. Turkey was waiting at the EU doorsteps since 30 years. Nothing. Before Erdog and Erdogs Erdog. While they were secular. Nothing. Turkey was used by the west. Now things are changing and it is Erdogs fault?

On Wednesday, August 03, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Avanter said:

Are you gonna lead? Well come and get me you little pos.

To me it seems like Erdog has already had his "Night of the Long knives," so who knows how far he will go now.  Hopefully he won't mimic Hitler in other ways only with nukes.

I doubt he could use these bombs but I bet he could use the material inside.