Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

11 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Since you pretend you didn't read my post a page ago, or are actually unable to understand it, here's the summary, once more, for all of you Brexiters, some of you actual Russian trolls, others just shallow fools who do not understand what they are doing: 

I'm leaving this site. 

It was great, it was fun, I learnt so much, I also met so many wonderful people here, but I'm European (my heritage is such), and I'm also Eastern European (you would perceive me as such, because of my citizenship). 

You are extremelly loud and obnoxious in repeating how much you don't want us. Fine. 

So I'll leave. It would be so stupid of me to stay and generate more clicks for those who control you (whether you are aware of it or not - think about the weird coincidences between your increasingly fanatical Brexiters, increasingly insane Trump and increasingly bold Putin).  

If you weren't so shallow, you'd notice this repulsive little episode here is nothing, but is quite good alegory of large things to come.

If that's what you want, fine again. Your choice.  

My choice is to do not allow your infection to kill my part of the world.  

So... 

'Ajd zdravo.

er, ok then. :unsure: So just because some people on a website don't share your particular vision/fears, you have to be off before their poison can contaminate your entire country? And (i suppose), by reading this poisonous infection, you will then be in danger of spreading it around your part of the world, and will leave the way open for the Tyrant PutinTM to occupy your country? Well, i never knew that people posting on internet websites were so influential. I suppose it's because they're part of this great conspiracy involving the increasingly fanatical Brexiters. (What's the point of being increasingly fanatical now?) 

Still, perhaps QM could tell us, since he seems to share this theory.

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin

10 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Its comedy gold this thread. :lol: its got everything, straw men, sour grapes, conspiracies, Russian infiltrators, Trump, Putin, and the icing on the cake Primer League football. - I guess they run out of things to say about Brexit.  :D and after all that the UK is still leaving the EU. c'mon Q get your finger out. 

I'm not sure what the point of it was in the first place, but I've learned a lot from it, I can tell you. :unsure2: 

18 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Since you pretend you didn't read my post a page ago, or are actually unable to understand it, here's the summary, once more, for all of you Brexiters, some of you actual Russian trolls, others just shallow fools who do not understand what they are doing: 

I'm leaving this site. 

It was great, it was fun, I learnt so much, I also met so many wonderful people here, but I'm European (my heritage is such), and I'm also Eastern European (you would perceive me as such, because of my citizenship). 

You are extremelly loud and obnoxious in repeating how much you don't want us. Fine. 

So I'll leave. It would be so stupid of me to stay and generate more clicks for those who control you (whether you are aware of it or not - think about the weird coincidences between your increasingly fanatical Brexiters, increasingly insane Trump and increasingly bold Putin).  

If you weren't so shallow, you'd notice this repulsive little episode here is nothing, but is quite good alegory of large things to come.

So... 

'Ajd zdravo.

Dont  leave Helen.People have different views.Leaving would deny us your views.!a

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Nothing wrong with being British but you should thank the Japanese they decided to bomb Pearl Harbor otherwise you'd be marching the Goose Step around Piccadilly Circus by now.

Hang on when did Pearl Harbour happen? 1941. We stood up to Hitler in September 1939, and with the fall of Europe we found ourselves alone. Three times Hitler offered Britain a peace agreement in which Germany would guarantee Britain and its empire in return for our neutrality Three times we Said NO. - all this time fighting in Europe, North Africa and on the Seas and Oceans. and in the meantime we were getting the **** bombed out of us. As for invasion and Goose stepping  - Operation Sea lion which was the name for Hitler's invasion of Britain. Thanks to the British Spirit of not being a conquered people for a thousand years we fought tooth and nail in the now famous Victory in the Battle of Britain in the summer of 1940 - with winter approaching Hitler postponed Operation Sea lion indefinitely. So Britain safe from Invasion, Hitler turned his attention to invading Russia the following summer, June of 1941. - So, look at the dates, start of the war 1939, Battle of Britain - Invasion defeated 1940, Hitler attacks Russia June 1941. Japanese Attack Pearl Harbour December 1941. So, explain exactly why would we thank the Japanese for preventing Britain getting invaded? 

Europeans capitulated and we Great Britain yet again from Waterloo, to Mons/Somme, to D-day/Normandy, yet again when push came to shove WE put everything on the line to rid Europe of German aggression for the second time in 21 years, and liberate Europe once more. -

Pearl Harbour seen Britain once again thrust into the thick of it, not only fighting here at home in Northern, and Southern Europe, North Africa,  but also in the Far East, India, Malaya, Burma, Singapore, dragging the British empire and Royal Navy into battles to protect such territories as Australia. 

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 5

On 8/3/2016 at 11:43 PM, Leonardo said:

Honestly, people spout the word "democracy" as if they could pick it in their gardens.

*Newsflash* The EU, as an organisation, is just as "democratic" as the UK is. You don't choose who gets to be Chancellor, you don't choose who sits on various committees in parliament. The UK govt, as an organisation, operates exactly the same manner as the EU "govt" does. The people elect representatives and those representatives elect the people who take office, or sit on committees.

So, please do not patronise everyone with the excuse that Brexit was about "democracy" - it wasn't. It was about nationalism, and even that is a hypocrisy because the UK isn't one nation, it's a union (just like the EU, but on a smaller scale) of 4 nations.

17 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Its comedy gold this thread. :lol: its got everything, straw men, sour grapes, conspiracies, Russian infiltrators, Trump, Putin, and the icing on the cake Primer League football. - I guess they run out of things to say about Brexit.  :D and after all that the UK is still leaving the EU. c'mon Q get your finger out. 

And, meanwhile, Britain will continue to chug along nicely and continue to economically outperformed its EU neighbours.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2016 at 7:27 PM, alibongo said:

Britain was great once.

And now it will be again since it won't be shackled to the rotting corpse of the rest of most of Europe anymore.

The vote was fair, your democracy worked as it should have.  Just because you're butthurt about being on the wrong side doesn't mean anything other than that.

I really don't like getting involved in other countries' politics (and vice versa), but this is getting a bit ridiculous.  Hilarious, too.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I'm leaving this site. 

Bye Bye!  We'll send you a card sometime.  Don't call us, we'll call you.  And all that sarcastic stuff.

Perhaps you'll educate yourself and return as a better poster in the future, one that can actually engage in discussion without attacking and insulting and being completely ignorant of the actual material you're posting in.  I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Hang on when did Pearl Harbour happen? 1941. We stood up to Hitler in September 1939, and with the fall of Europe we found ourselves alone. Three times Hitler offered Britain a peace agreement in which Germany would guarantee Britain and its empire in return for our neutrality Three times we Said NO. - all this time fighting in Europe, North Africa and on the Seas and Oceans. and in the meantime we were getting the **** bombed out of us. As for invasion and Goose stepping  - Operation Sea lion which was the name for Hitler's invasion of Britain. Thanks to the British Spirit of not being a conquered people for a thousand years we fought tooth and nail in the now famous Victory in the Battle of Britain in the summer of 1940 - with winter approaching Hitler postponed Operation Sea lion indefinitely. So Britain safe from Invasion, Hitler turned his attention to invading Russia the following summer, June of 1941. - So, look at the dates, start of the war 1939, Battle of Britain - Invasion defeated 1940, Hitler attacks Russia June 1941. Japanese Attack Pearl Harbour December 1941. So, explain exactly why would we thank the Japanese for preventing Britain getting invaded? 

I agree.  Though the bombing of Pearl Harbor was an awfully tragic and dastardly action, it opened the floodgates...the US was now involved and the victory for the Allies and the Soviet Union was clearly cemented from that point on.  Britain would not have fallen to the Germans if the US did not enter the war, but the war against them would have lasted a bit longer at least.

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Europeans capitulated and we Great Britain yet again from Waterloo, to Mons/Somme, to D-day/Normandy, yet again when push came to shove WE put everything on the line to rid Europe of German aggression for the second time in 21 years, and liberate Europe once more. -

Well, not by yourselves, and not without help.  But I do recognize and respect the hard work of the British during the War.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I agree.  Though the bombing of Pearl Harbor was an awfully tragic and dastardly action, it opened the floodgates...the US was now involved and the victory for the Allies and the Soviet Union was clearly cemented from that point on.  Britain would not have fallen to the Germans if the US did not enter the war, but the war against them would have lasted a bit longer at least.

Well, not by yourselves, and not without help.  But I do recognize and respect the hard work of the British during the War.

I agree it was a team effort by all concerned. there would have been no VE day without the USA in the same way there wouldn't have be a VE day without the Russians. But apparently and according to Black Red Devil we have to thank the Japanese who prevented us from being Invaded and occupied. Even though we prevented that from happening the year before Pearl Harbour. 

i

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I agree it was a team effort by all concerned. there would have been no VE day without the USA in the same way there wouldn't have be a VE day without the Russians. But apparently and according to Black Red Devil we have to thank the Japanese who prevented us from being Invaded and occupied. Even though we prevented that from happening the year before Pearl Harbour.

Well I don't give any credibility to anyone that sides with, sympathizes with, or condones, the actions of the Japanese before and during WWII, so BRD can pound sand for all I care.  They were the aggressors, they were the villains in that tale, and they got what they deserved in the end.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I'm leaving this site. 

So... 

'Ajd zdravo.

As our British cousins may discover, if one ever wishes to effect change within an organization, locking oneself out of it might not be the brightest of ideas. Don't, in the heat of the discussion, make the very same sort of mistake you argue so passionately against. You ARE among friends here, some with whom you disagree, but friends none-the-less. If you can find it in your heart, forgive them their trespasses and stay. You'll really will  be missed if you leave.

Edited by Hammerclaw

I have to say, it really gets on my nerves sometimes when people throw words like Nazi and Fascism around the forums to make melodramatic posts to counter anything that goes against their PC sensibilities. More often than not aimed at Britain and the US, which is rather ironic given that we were at the forefront in ridding the world of these evils.

Personally, I've always felt a debt of gratitude to the US for coming to our aid. Pearl Harbor was undoubtedly a pivotal point in WWII - I've been there by the way, and It was probably one of the most moving experiences of my life. Perhaps the two biggest factors that don't grab the headlines quite as much though are, firstly, the influence of FDR, who was a truly great man. Secondly, the American people themselves. While there probably wasn't much appetite for war in 1939, public opinion changed in America as they watched and listened to broadcasts of Britain's stalwart resistance to Hitler's plans.

It wouldn't hurt one or two people on these forums to watch the odd documentary on WWII, such The World at War. I wonder sometimes if certain posters realize just how much they owe to the people of various nationalities, who's sacrifices allowed them to live in the relative freedom we have today.

Just to demonstrate that Britain's relationship with the US works both ways, I came across this post from an American WWII veteran on another forum:

THE BRITISH FLEET AT OKINAWA

"Casualties would have been higher if the Brits hadn’t been "watching our back"."

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

As our British cousins may discover, if one ever wishes to effect change within an organization, locking oneself out of it might not be the brightest of ideas. 

Change within an organisation? I think the whole point of the argument is that the whole organisation is crumbling, and very likely soon to collapse, particularly if the French (the people that is, as opposed to the Government) were to pull the foundations from under it, and the problem with the organisation is that it stubbornly resists any efforts to change it. If anything does arise that might threaten it, it immediately does all it can to crush it (see: Greece).

6 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I have to say, it really gets on my nerves sometimes when people throw words like Nazi and Fascism around the forums to make melodramatic posts to counter anything that goes against their PC sensibilities. More often than not aimed at Britain and the US, which is rather ironic given that we were at the forefront in ridding the world of these evils.

Personally, I've always felt a debt of gratitude to the US for coming to our aid. Pearl Harbor was undoubtedly a pivotal point in WWII - I've been there by the way, and It was probably one of the most moving experiences of my life. Perhaps the two biggest factors that don't grab the headlines quite as much though are, firstly, the influence of FDR, who was a truly great man. Secondly, the American people themselves. While there probably wasn't much appetite for war in 1939, public opinion changed in America as they watched and listened to broadcasts of Britain's stalwart resistance to Hitler's plans.

It wouldn't hurt one or two people on these forums to watch the odd documentary on WWII, such The World at War. I wonder sometimes if certain posters realize just how much they owe to the people of various nationalities, who's sacrifices allowed them to live in the relative freedom we have today.

Just to demonstrate that Britain's relationship with the US works both ways, I came across this post from an American WWII veteran on another forum:

THE BRITISH FLEET AT OKINAWA

"Casualties would have been higher if the Brits hadn’t been "watching our back"."

Some Brits and Americans may still be reluctant to admit it, but the Russkies helped as well to weaken old Adolf. 

• Like 1

Just now, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Some Brits and Americans may still be reluctant to admit it, but the Russkies helped as well to weaken old Adolf. 

I certainly wouldn't play down their part in fighting against Hitler. It's harder to feel gratitude with what Stalin did to Europe post-war though. Along with other atrocities, such as the systematic rape of an estimated two million German women as the Red Army marched on Berlin, many of whom were probably as keen to see the back of Hitler as Allied nations were.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

The Soviets made the biggest sacrifice, no doubt about it. But i think its fair to say that the British and Churchill in particular and the unselfish manner in which he persuaded the other leaders to unite was the leading factor in defeating nazi Germany, IMO. The Americans and Soviets i think would have accepted nazi gains for peace but lucky for the free world Churchill wouldn't. And in return Britain lost an empire in the process. A heavy price that Britain will never recover from.

But seriously folks what has this to do with Brexit?    

Edited by Leto_loves_melange

6 hours ago, Black Monk said:

And, meanwhile, Britain will continue to chug along nicely and continue to economically outperformed its EU neighbours.

How did you come to that conclusion?

My understanding is that before Britain joined the EU it was a basket case economically. 

23 hours ago, stevewinn said:

They will never understand us in this Sceptred Isle, - They wanted us to give up our sovereignty of a thousand years, they seem to forget being a Island Nation, a tribes people who come to these Islands because we didn't want to be there, and surprise we still don't want to be there.

Sceptred Isles? give me a break. Britain gave up its "sovereignty" when it joined the EU. Did anything change?

On 03/08/2016 at 7:41 AM, alibongo said:

Godwin's law strikes again. 

16 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Nothing wrong with being British but you should thank the Japanese they decided to bomb Pearl Harbor otherwise you'd be marching the Goose Step around Piccadilly Circus by now.

And you guys would all be speaking Japanese ...Sayonara  B.R.D. san

On 8 August 2016 at 3:51 AM, third_eye said:

But then most of the rest of Europe has contracts with the BPL ~ overlapping rules with UEFA ... will the EC recognize BPL contracts too ?

I thought the ruling won't apply to British Clubs anymore after Brexit ~ something China fund interests is asking a lot about seeing so many Clubs are being bought by China Interests ~

And that is exactly what will happen in the UK with almost all other business and trade dealings too. Without EU protection Britain will be become a fire sale paradise for foreign companies. America and China have a "free trade" agreement and American firms can't even get a foothold in China without taking on a Chinese partner and being relegated to a minor junior role. Whilst Chinese companies behave like pirates. Apple, Microsolf, Google and Uber have all been either kicked out or under Chinese central government review. On the other side of the coin American companies have done the same in Europe and the rest of the world. Britain will have its family silver bought by foreigners with almost NO reciprocity.  

The myth of free trade has served only a privileged few.  

Edited by Leto_loves_melange

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

I agree that Russia helped out but they couldn't have done it without Tanks, guns, ammunition, and food supplied by America and Britain and shipped to Russia by the British Merchant Navy whose men were civilians and who who suffered huge loss of ships and life, on convoys to Murmansk the code letters being PQ to Russia and QP back to England .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

But seriously folks what has this to do with Brexit? 

Oh man... What does WW2 have to do with Brexit... Ask all the dead WW2 vets...Wars were fought so the left could have the right to voice their trash.

Just try free speech in hillary's kingdom of saudi america.

56 minutes ago, Poppi said:

Oh man... What does WW2 have to do with Brexit... Ask all the dead WW2 vets...Wars were fought so the left could have the right to voice their trash.

Just try free speech in hillary's kingdom of saudi america.

Not sure that i follow your train of thought but are you suggesting that Steve's penchant for reminding the world of Britain's past is relevant to Brexit? Steve has clearly hijacked a losing argument and shifted the argument towards nationalist... yet again and you fell of it...lol