Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

Or to put it another way. Farage & UKIP came into being solely to enable the British public to be allowed to vote on our continued membership of the E.U. (something all the other main political parties had promised, but not delivered) Now thanks to them we have been given that opportunity & the people have voted to leave, effectively their job is done. Job done, stop b*tching.

Typical Brexiteers:http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/brexit-optimism-highest-among-people-who-love-setting-fire-to-things-20170223122701

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, stevewinn said:

A few days old now.

• EU as revised their prediction for 2017 - the EU now say UK GDP growth to be 1.5% revised up from a 1% forecast made last November. Brexit continuing to go in the right direction.
  • FTSE100 passes 7,300. FTSE250 at record level.

UK employment figures.

• Employment rate at record rate of 74.6%, 31.84 million now in work.
  • In year to end-2016, UK nationals working in UK increased by 70,000 to 28.44m; non-UK nationals working in UK increased by 233,000 to 3.48m
  • Since 1997 non-UK nationals working in UK rose from 1m to 3.48m. As %, from 3.8% to 11%. Largely result of Eastern Europe joining EU.
  • 1.60m unemployed people Oct-Dec, little changed compared with July to September 2016 but 97,000 down on a year earlier.

Unfortunately most of the poorer employed are on zero hour contracts, which are unfair and cruel.

The figures stevwinn quotes  above are incorrect.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, likwidlite said:

Does take much for your bigoted views to come back. Newcastle having the highest drinking problems. Until recently the most hazardous levels of drinking were Harrogate and Runnymead in Surry. Both extremely affluent places. 

I didn't know Newcastle had the highest drinking problems, I thought it was the Scots and the Welsh.

I live on a very cosmopolitan street in Poole, Dorset.

A typical weekday:

5.30am - The Philippine family who run the newsagent/grocery store start preparing for the days work and bring in the newspapers.

6.30am- the Polish van drivers start delivering bread, sandwiches, and perishables to the shops.

7.00am- Greggs opens to supply coffee and breakfast to the East European construction workers working on shop-fitting just down the road.

9.00am - the Brit single mums start their school run with their buggies.

10.00am - the Brit old men on benefits start to filter into the two betting shops.

11.00am- the Brit young men start drifting to the many pubs in the street.

Draw your own conclusions as to the direction the economy will take after Brexit is Brexit.

How did the Philippine family manage to take advantage of EU membership? i suspect a loophole there. :angry: Anyway, you ought to welcome Brexit, to stop all those refugees coming across from France* every day on Brittany Ferries.

* that's refugees from M. Hollande's regime, not Syrian or Libyan I mean. Actually I expect there may be more after Brexit, I bet there'll be a massive influx of refugees from the authoritarian EU regime.  

• Like 1

Anyway, on the subject of Ukip, is UKIP a one trick pony and, that trick having been performed, they've pretty much seen out whatever usefulness they may have had? 

Paul Nuttall drove his Ukip tank into Stoke-on-Trent - but was still trounced in 'Brexit capital of Britain'

Disappointingly, it doesn't seem to have been an actual tank*, but was more in the way of a metaphor.

* not that they ever are, of course, they're always Abbots or FV432s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alibongo said:

A typical weekday:

5.30am - The Philippine family who run the newsagent/grocery store start preparing for the days work and bring in the newspapers.

6.30am- the Polish van drivers start delivering bread, sandwiches, and perishables to the shops.

7.00am- Greggs opens to supply coffee and breakfast to the East European construction workers working on shop-fitting just down the road.

10.00am - the Brit old men on benefits start to filter into the two betting shops.

Draw your own conclusions as to the direction the economy will take after Brexit is Brexit.

Poole and the people who live there sound terrible, if it was me i'd move.

4 hours ago, alibongo said:

Now it's all starting to make a bit of sense.

Your lovely slice of pretentious, pottery filled seaside heaven is under threat.

36 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

Now it's all starting to make a bit of sense.

Your lovely slice of pretentious, pottery filled seaside heaven is under threat.

I was going to say something witty, like: I knew I would have to wait till lunchtime for a Brexiter to respond, after all, who likes to get up early these cold mornings?

But I don't do personal attacks, I deal with facts.

21 minutes ago, alibongo said:

But I don't do personal attacks, I deal with facts.

No?  I imagine there are a few northerners that may disagree there.

But I apologise if I was a bit close to home there!

5 hours ago, alibongo said:

A typical weekday:

I fail to see how or why there would be any difference if we were not in the EU?

Or are you suggesting that it's being in the EU that makes (some) Britons (the ones down your street) lazy, fornicating drunks?  :o

26 minutes ago, Essan said:

I fail to see how or why there would be any difference if we were not in the EU?

Or are you suggesting that it's being in the EU that makes (some) Britons (the ones down your street) lazy, fornicating drunks?  :o

I never said fornicating, or that they were drunks, did I?

The difference is, if we did not have EU citizens (and others) in Poole, there would be no-one to open the shops or stock them early in the morning. That may not matter to some people, but some would be inconvenienced by this.

Essan, you are making the mistake common to Brexiters- you think we can leave Europe but keep all the convenient EU citizens to do all the jobs we don't want to do. We can't. They will leave, and so will industry and finance.

Brexiters can't cherry-pick.

Edited by alibongo

28 minutes ago, alibongo said:

I never said fornicating, or that they were drunks, did I?

Single mothers and young men waiting for the pubs to open ;) 

29 minutes ago, alibongo said:

The difference is, if we did not have EU citizens (and others) in Poole, there would be no-one to open the shops or stock them early in the morning.

Why?

That is the main problem: the people who say Brexit means Brexit don't actually know what Brexit means!

Just now, alibongo said:

Because they wouldn't be here to do it...D...oh!

If we leave the EU, the Filipinos who run the corner shop would have to leave the country and no-one would drive delivery trucks, or work in construction,  ever again?  

No-one told me that :o

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alibongo said:

That is the main problem: the people who say Brexit means Brexit don't actually know what Brexit means!

"Brexit" means exactly one thing and one thing only: that the UK would no longer be a member of the EU

No reason we couldn't have twice as many Poles living here though.   Or are you suggesting it's illegal to allow Poles to live in your country unless you are in the EU?  ;) 

1 minute ago, Essan said:

"Brexit" means exactly one thing and one thing only: that the UK would no longer be a member of the EU

No reason we couldn't have twice as many Poles living here though.   Or are you suggesting it's illegal to allow Poles to live in your country unless you are in the EU?  ;) 

You just don't understand, do you? Sigh....

Ah, now you're here Ali, you'll probably be able to tell me. Will I still be able to have Hungarian Spicy Salami after Brexit?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Once  we get over the mindless chanting of Brexit means Brexit, we find what Brexiters like Essen believe it to mean.

It simply means we leave the EU, nothing more nothing less.

Of course laws, economy, and everything will change.  Exactly as it would (but in different ways - some better, some worse) if we remained in the EU until the day it sank :P 

You youngsters really don't get it ;)   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Ah, now you're here Ali, you'll probably be able to tell me. Will I still be able to have Hungarian Spicy Salami after Brexit?

Probably won't be able to afford it:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/all-that-positive-economic-data-is-just-a-head-fake-brexit-really-has-pushed-britain-to-the-edge-of-the-cliff/ar-AAnkiVL?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=uie11msnhpl

Of course, none of this would have happened had we not voted to leave the EU.  In fact we'd all have had a good 20% pay rise by now and almost all the UK's debyt would have been paid off ......  :D 

• Like 1