Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4271538/Ministers-brace-Brexit-Bill-DEFEAT-House-Lords.html

quotes (bolded)....

"Former Leader of the Lords Lord Strathclyde warned that voting for the amendment would 'put at risk the future of a million British citizens living in the EU' by weakening Mrs May's negotiating hand. "

^^^ in a nutshell ^^^  T
Looks like the Remainers in the House of Lords trying to force the Government
to play softball when the EU are going to play hardball...?... Remainers always on the look out
for ways to make their doom and gloom prophesies come true - no matter what harm
that does to the country --

Shadow Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer hailed the defeat as a 'really welcome and important step forward'." 

^^^

mmmmm a step forward towards what...?.... interfering with the negotiation from the side lines..?

This looks more like the Remain supporters in the Lords flexing their muscles as a show of force
and distrust -rather than any real care about EU nationals - who IMO don't have anything to worry about
anyway - and at the end of the day aren't refugees - they have perfectly safe countries to return to if
they wanted to --

just like the Brits living abroad do --- but if both groups have settled in other European countries
different to their country of origin then apart from a few 'grey area' cases which can be fought in
the courts - they don't have to get worried over scare tactics from the referendum losers - 

21 hours ago, alibongo said:

I don't deny it is possible to cherry pick the news you want from the internet.

But it is only little bits and pieces.

Hmm.. that's a fair point, Alibongo.

I'll tell you what..... in order to properly support my argument, I'm going to avoid cherry picking, and download the ENTIRE internet into this post ! That way I can't be accused of cherry-picking.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg

BANGrattlerattleTHUDsparksparkzapCRACKLEzizzitzizzit GROING

Ah... ummm.......

Saaruuummaaaaaan.... I've broken the forum. Um.... and the internet.

Soreeeeee :(

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bee said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4271538/Ministers-brace-Brexit-Bill-DEFEAT-House-Lords.html

quotes (bolded)....

"Former Leader of the Lords Lord Strathclyde warned that voting for the amendment would 'put at risk the future of a million British citizens living in the EU' by weakening Mrs May's negotiating hand. "

^^^ in a nutshell ^^^  T
Looks like the Remainers in the House of Lords trying to force the Government
to play softball when the EU are going to play hardball...?... Remainers always on the look out
for ways to make their doom and gloom prophesies come true - no matter what harm
that does to the country --

Shadow Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer hailed the defeat as a 'really welcome and important step forward'." 

^^^

mmmmm a step forward towards what...?.... interfering with the negotiation from the side lines..?

This looks more like the Remain supporters in the Lords flexing their muscles as a show of force
and distrust -rather than any real care about EU nationals - who IMO don't have anything to worry about
anyway - and at the end of the day aren't refugees - they have perfectly safe countries to return to if
they wanted to --

just like the Brits living abroad do --- but if both groups have settled in other European countries
different to their country of origin then apart from a few 'grey area' cases which can be fought in
the courts - they don't have to get worried over scare tactics from the referendum losers - 

Good points as always, bee.

It has been pointed out in the past that those who predict disaster, may find it hard to accept that they are wrong, and they make it look as if they wish disaster, so they are proved right.

I have said from the outset that this is my country and nothing would delight me more than to be proved wrong.

Mark Carney has been forced to eat humble pie, and Osborne should eat humble pie.

I'll be glad to eat humble pie if the UK doesn't end up with egg on its face a year or so from now.

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. that's a fair point, Alibongo.

I'll tell you what..... in order to properly support my argument, I'm going to avoid cherry picking, and download the ENTIRE internet into this post ! That way I can't be accused of cherry-picking.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg

BANGrattlerattleTHUDsparksparkzapCRACKLEzizzitzizzit GROING

Ah... ummm.......

Saaruuummaaaaaan.... I've broken the forum. Um.... and the internet.

Soreeeeee :(

I may be guilty of occasionally cherry-picking too.

From the Daily Mail Online:

"May has been warned not to try to ignore the law for a second time:

The businesswoman behind the Article 50 court case has threatened another legal challenge unless Theresa May guarantees a 'meaningful vote' on any new deal with the EU.

Gina Miller said she could not think of 'anything better to do' with her money than ensuring the PM brings the package back before the Commons.

The comments came after campaigners obtained legal advice that Britain's 'actual withdrawal' will have to be authorised by a fresh act of Parliament. 

Ms Miller, who infuriated Brexit supporters by challenging Mrs May in court, said the Government would have to be 'incredibly careless' to ignore the law a second time."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4275724/Gina-Miller-threatens-legal-challenge-Brexit.html#ixzz4aCWT42qk

Edited by alibongo

The Daily Mash  http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/nothing-must-stop-article-50-being-triggered-on-arbitrary-date-ive-made-up-says-may-20170302123268quite rightly points out that March 15 is a arbitrary date which could easily be changed to accommodate legal challenges to the Government activities:

"THE prime minister has confirmed that Article 50 must be triggered on March 15th because it is written on her kitchen calendar in pen.

Both houses of parliament have been told there is no time for amendments to the Article 50 bill before the deadline which must be met because it is the deadline.

May said: “Article 50 must be triggered on a date I chose entirely at random, because otherwise it would be late.

“Consequently we’re unable to consider the amendments suggested by the Lords because we’ve got less than a fortnight left. Sorry. As you can see it’s out of my hands.

“There is no way we can delay it because that would mean changing the date on which Article 50 is triggered, which as discussed is March 15th.”

She added: “So if you could just pass the legislation as is and then everything will proceed on schedule. Thanks. No further questions.”

•  

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, alibongo said:

The Daily Mash  http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/nothing-must-stop-article-50-being-triggered-on-arbitrary-date-ive-made-up-says-may-20170302123268quite rightly points out that March 15 is a arbitrary date which could easily be changed to accommodate legal challenges to the Government activities:

"THE prime minister has confirmed that Article 50 must be triggered on March 15th because it is written on her kitchen calendar in pen.

Both houses of parliament have been told there is no time for amendments to the Article 50 bill before the deadline which must be met because it is the deadline.

May said: “Article 50 must be triggered on a date I chose entirely at random, because otherwise it would be late.

“Consequently we’re unable to consider the amendments suggested by the Lords because we’ve got less than a fortnight left. Sorry. As you can see it’s out of my hands.

“There is no way we can delay it because that would mean changing the date on which Article 50 is triggered, which as discussed is March 15th.”

She added: “So if you could just pass the legislation as is and then everything will proceed on schedule. Thanks. No further questions.”

•  

You might like it Manfred von, but the mods don't.

I have to double check all my posts to see if they meet forum guidelines from now on.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I might believe that in the future, there will be no knowledge that we once had a choice over Europe, children will be taught there was no alternative view, because all references will be air-brushed out.

Oh PLEASE. If you are going to imply that the Guild of Moderators objected to one of your posts, then you are going to have to be more specific. 

I'm confident that Lord Sarumen, and the Guild, do NOT arbitrarily ban or edit post that <HTTP 508 forced server disconnect

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alibongo said:

Gina Miller said she could not think of 'anything better to do' with her money than ensuring the PM brings the package back before the Commons.

Unbelievable !...who does she think she's kidding..?

The stench of Tony Blair and his traitor banker pals is strong...... <_<

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Oh PLEASE. If you are going to imply that the Guild of Moderators objected to one of your posts, then you are going to have to be more specific. 

I'm confident that Lord Sarumen, and the Guild, do NOT arbitrarily ban or edit post that <HTTP 508 forced server disconnect

No the mod objected to them quite rightly because they were too long and did not always link to the original article.

I just believe I am a lone voice on this forum.

Edited by alibongo

6 hours ago, bee said:

Unbelievable !...who does she think she's kidding..?

The stench of Tony Blair and his traitor banker pals is strong...... <_<

There are hypocrites everywhere, bee, especially amongst the rich Tories who like to exploit cheap European labour, and also deny them rights:

A Conservative peer who accused the House of Lords of “thinking of nothing but the rights of foreigners” employed immigrants in his home, it has been claimed.

Lord Norman Tebbit, former minister under Margaret Thatcher, allegedly paid a number of immigrants, including at least two Europeans, to carry out household tasks and care for his disabled wife — despite having condemned peers during a Brexit debate for attempting to protect the rights of foreigners.

One Czech woman, Marketa Ziskova, said she worked in the former Conservative cabinet minister's household in 2007 as a relief carer for his disabled wife, during which she claimed she was paid minimum wage and told to address the couple as “Lord” and Lady”.

Ms Ziskova, who lived in Britain for nine years before returning to the Czech Republic in 2013, provided The Independent with a copy of a pay slip she said demonstrates her employment under Lord Tebbit in May 2017. She described her several months working as a relief carer for Lady Tebbit as an “unpleasant” experience.
Edited by alibongo

2 hours ago, alibongo said:

Lord Norman Tebbit, former minister under Margaret Thatcher, allegedly paid a number of immigrants, including at least two Europeans, to carry out household tasks and care for his disabled wife — despite having condemned peers during a Brexit debate for attempting to protect the rights of foreigners.

One Czech woman, Marketa Ziskova, said she worked in the former Conservative cabinet minister's household in 2007 as a relief carer for his disabled wife, during which she claimed she was paid minimum wage and told to address the couple as “Lord” and Lady”.

Ms Ziskova, who lived in Britain for nine years before returning to the Czech Republic in 2013, provided The Independent with a copy of a pay slip she said demonstrates her employment under Lord Tebbit in May 2017. She described her several months working as a relief carer for Lady Tebbit as an “unpleasant” experience.

But I thought that was one of the great advantages of EU memberbship as you always tell us, the ability to exploit cheap Eastern European labour. You're not sounding disapproving of it now are you?

besides, it's hardly as if immigrants from Czechoslovakia are fleeing oppression are they? They're not fleeing civil war or anything. The point of being able to move & work in other countries is if they think that can make more money that they could at home. If she ended up working for a tightwad who seems to run his household like a Dickens novel, then it doesn't seem to be working does it? It's hardly a commendation of the right to right to move & work anywhere, is it. It just shows that you usually end up being taken advantage of. It's a cautionary tale perhaps. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

But I thought that was one of the great advantages of EU memberbship as you always tell us, the ability to exploit cheap Eastern European labour. You're not sounding disapproving of it now are you?

No I am not disapproving, I am highlighting Lord Tebbit's hypocrisy.

55 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

besides, it's hardly as if immigrants from Czechoslovakia are fleeing oppression are they? They're not fleeing civil war or anything. The point of being able to move & work in other countries is if they think that can make more money that they could at home. If she ended up working for a tightwad who seems to run his household like a Dickens novel, then it doesn't seem to be working does it? It's hardly a commendation of the right to right to move & work anywhere, is it. It just shows that you usually end up being taken advantage of. It's a cautionary tale perhaps. 

I've never said I care about people fleeing from oppression (though I do, a bit).

I have always said free movement of labour is beneficial to all in the EU, including the UK.

This is another great injustice: nearly a million people on zero hour contracts:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39147135

The number of people on controversial zero hours contracts has reached a record high of 910,000.

New figures based on an analysis of Office for National Statistics data reveal that 110,000 more people were on contracts that do not guarantee work in 2016 compared with the same period in 2015.

That's an increase of nearly 14%, and 30% higher than 2014.

In 2005, there were just 100,000 people on zero hours contracts (ZHCs

Edited by alibongo

3 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Actually, I once suggested to my wife that we get a young, live-in, Eastern European au-pair, but she was opposed to the idea.

Partly because we don't have any children, I suppose.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Article written by Richard Drax.

Millionaire reactionary who opposed Civil Partnerships but was accused of trying to force his nanny into bed for a threesome. Nice, pleasant chap,NOT:http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/405657/MP-Richard-Drax-his-wife-the-lesbian-housekeeper-and-the-threesome-that-never-was

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Haha, first public appearance since being outed as a complete liar!

What team did he claim he played soccer for? And his non-existent degree from which Oxbridge college?

And was it him or a close friend who died in the football stadium fire?

Brexit has some complete  a....holes as champions.

4 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Article written by Richard Drax.

Millionaire reactionary who opposed Civil Partnerships but was accused of trying to force his nanny into bed for a threesome. Nice, pleasant chap,NOT:http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/405657/MP-Richard-Drax-his-wife-the-lesbian-housekeeper-and-the-threesome-that-never-was

I think you must have missed this bit.  "We find the claims utterly incredible," declared Judge Roger Peters, presiding over the tribunal panel in Southampton. 

"The events did not happen."

Manfred von Dreidecker, why are you reading my local paper?