Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

In other news, what Ali said has come true!! Fruit Growers are saying there may be a Shortage this year owing to difficulty in recruiting foreign slave labour seasonal workers due to uncertainty due to brexit and the depressed pound and stuff. :( 

Yeah. What a shame that the EU are the only countries on the planet who could provide seasonal labour ? If only we had a large populated continent just to their east (or even their south), and a large organisation in the UK (lets call it a.... dunno... "Civil Service ? ) to operate a temporary license/visa scheme ?

Ah well... guess we'll have to do without Strawberries. And - of course - all those former migrant workers will just accept unemployment and starvation.

I mean, what POSSIBLE other outcome could there be ?

61202382.jpg

• Like 2

I find it rather encouraging that it seems to be one thing machines can't do as well, and humans, even poorly paid seasonable workers, still appear to be better at doing it.

5 hours ago, LV-426 said:

So... reverse a democratic vote, or have a Brexit deal that is actually worse than staying in the EU?

Not aimed at yourself eugeneonegin, but the way a section of our population have done everything in their power to reverse, undermine and weaken our position, and our country as a whole, makes be ashamed to be British.

yes the glee bubbling in the Remainer Camp that Brexit could be wrecked by a weakened position after the snap election
is a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation - 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

It was not 80% leave, it was 52/48.

If it had been a 80/20 result, or even 60/40, we than could say that the UK voted overwhelmingly to leave the UK.

Business Insider is saying the UK has only two choices now, reverse Article 50 or opt for soft Brexit:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/may-is-essentially-being-forced-to-either-reverse-article-50-or-seal-a-soft-brexit-deal-for-britain/ar-BBCEFTL?ocid=uie11msnhpl

Which may be just as well, as if the UK can't negotiate successfully with the tin-pot DUP ten member party (no agreement has been reached), how will they manage to negotiate with the EU?

I'm just asking.

And will watch with interest.

Read my post again, Labours manifesto said it would leave the EU, the only party promising to reverse it were the Liberal party and we know how they fared, the mandate is bigger now than the one given in the referendum, surely by now even the biggest idiot knows that means leaving the single market, ironically Gena Millers efforts to scupper Brexit by forcing it through the courts made it British Law, it can't be reversed. 

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Frankly I'm increasingly coming to think it's all a fraud anyway. Be Free from the Unelected Tyrants of Brussels, and be free to be governed by the incompetents of our very own freely elected Government? (Whoever may be in charge, it won't make the slightest difference of course, it's hardly that Ms. May is uniquely incompetent, in fact she's probably a lot more competent than, well, certainly than the leading candidate to take over her job, and equally, sincere as he may be, I don't think J. Corbyn's policies are really very practical and if he was to be in office, he'd soon realise that it's a lot easier to make yourself look strong and competent in opposition than it is in office.) 

re bolded -- is this the politics of no hope..?....white flag? .... throwing in the towel....?

sounds like you are beginning to look forward to prospects of an EU / Global dictatorship -
where society is micro managed by shadowy social engineers and the thought police lurk around every corner *.. :blink: 

* poetic license to ram the point home -

I'm sorry. Blame Ms. May for backing herself into a corner where the only options are a Brexit so weak it may as well not be Brexit at all or Churchillian "Very well, alone then" defiance, only without a sympathetic friend across the Atlantic. But still she's preferable to most of the alternatives. :( 

12 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

It was not 80% leave, it was 52/48.

If it had been a 80/20 result, or even 60/40, we than could say that the UK voted overwhelmingly to leave the UK.

Business Insider is saying the UK has only two choices now, reverse Article 50 or opt for soft Brexit:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/may-is-essentially-being-forced-to-either-reverse-article-50-or-seal-a-soft-brexit-deal-for-britain/ar-BBCEFTL?ocid=uie11msnhpl

Which may be just as well, as if the UK can't negotiate successfully with the tin-pot DUP ten member party (no agreement has been reached), how will they manage to negotiate with the EU?

I'm just asking.

And will watch with interest.

Article 50 will not be reversed, and the term Soft Brexit is obsolete.

On your point of the UK cant successfully negotiate with the DUP, Worth highlighting, Its in fact the Conservative party that's in talks with the DUP, Not the United Kingdom and much in the same manner it is the United Kingdom in negotiations with the EU not the Conservatives.

Edited by stevewinn
stuttering
  • Like 3

Good news everyone! i hear that the Prime Minister, Ms. May, will shortly be flying to Germany to meet the German Chancellor!  I hear she's confident of securing peace with honour! 

Image result for theresa may strong stable meme 

"would you like a chip? They're strong and stable." 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

In other news, what Ali said has come true!! Fruit Growers are saying there may be a Shortage this year owing to difficulty in recruiting foreign slave labour seasonal workers due to uncertainty due to brexit and the depressed pound and stuff. :( 

Farmers voted 54/44 per cent to leave:https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/22/farms-hit-by-labour-shortage-as-migrant-workers-shun-racist-uk

Pretty overwhelming. But:

..Hardman said people who thought the shortage of farm labour could be filled by UK workers were “delusional”. He said: “There is no appetite in the UK labour pool for seasonal agricultural work.” ..

Farmers are very savvy people, they have been through considerable hardship in the past and they know Brexit will be best in the long run for UK agriculture.

Plus the UK's major fruit growers can easily relocate to countries where they will find more favourable agricultural conditions, and the labour force they need, as long as we have free movement of labour and trade in the EU.

Oh, did someone suggest there will not be free movement of labour and trade? Now, why would anyone suggest that?

Edited by eugeneonegin

7 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Good news everyone! i hear that the Prime Minister, Ms. May, will shortly be flying to Germany to meet the German Chancellor!  I hear she's confident of securing peace with honour! 

"I have returned from Germany with these chips which are a promise of prosperity in our time..."

Edited by eugeneonegin
  • Like 1

On 22/06/2017 at 6:36 PM, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

'''my Bargaining Chips - unfortunately Gina Miller, Tony Blair, their Banker Buddies, Media Moguls and
global corporations have scoffed some of them''' :/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Did everybody enjoy Independence Day yesterday?

Yes, it should be made a national holiday.

53 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

I forgot, :ph34r: But i don't really see it as independence day, I see June 23rd as more a strength of good old British Democracy. - How many countries in Europe fail to give their citizens an In/Out Referendum because they fear the result of the people, and before that we had the Scottish Referendum. so twice in less than 24 months the United Kingdom put a vote to the people on two absolutely major issues that cannot be understated, especially the Referendum on the Union of the United Kingdom a 307 year Union put to the people. thankfully both results came out favourably, Its something to be proud of, it displays a strength in the British state and institutions many around the world can only dream about. IF anyone wanted an example of Democracy in action then the UK is the gold standard. We've achieved and done where many Countries leaders fear tread.

37 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Yes, it should be made a national holiday.

For a bit of Fun, Yes, - but not officially, the EU doesn't deserve the acclamation.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

No.  I was too busy pouring through the latest pile of farcical EU directives :P 

(Independence Day is when you get Independence, not when you say you would one day like Independence ;)  ) 

5 hours ago, Essan said:

No.  I was too busy pouring through the latest pile of farcical EU directives :P 

(Independence Day is when you get Independence, not when you say you would one day like Independence ;)  ) 

13 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Unfortunately, there may not be an Independence Day.

An all-party alliance are plotting to scupper the Brexit negotiations:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/hard-brexit-under-threat-as-mps-from-all-parties-plan-alliance-to-defeat-theresa-mays-plans/ar-BBD5vgu?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=uie11msnhpl

17 hours ago, Essan said:

Someone ought to tell the Americans that.

6 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

An all-party alliance are plotting to scupper the Brexit negotiations:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/hard-brexit-under-threat-as-mps-from-all-parties-plan-alliance-to-defeat-theresa-mays-plans/ar-BBD5vgu?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=uie11msnhpl

To perhaps water down the hardcore of hardcore Tories' Churchillian "plucky islanders standing alone against totalitarianism" self-delusion? To, as the story puts it, force ministers to listen to business groups ? What insanity! 

MvD, would YOU wan't your country entirely run by the interests of "business groups" ? Because that is what coalitions like the above will accomplish.

The UK voted - albeit narrowly - to leave the European Union. By definition, that means a so-called "Hard" Brexit. It means leaving the customs union, the single  market, the European Court of Justice, and all of the other institutions. 

Let's be really clear on this: the so-called "soft" Brexit's are simply not Brexit's at all, and are a betrayal of the referendum result. The balance of Parliament was ALWAYS against a Brexit, so what we are seeing here is nothing new.

• Like 2

The dictatorship of the proletariat should over-rule the concerns of business? The People, whether or not they know anything en masse about business or what makes a successful and profitable economy, should be the ones that arbitrarily dictate the future direction of the ecomomy because they yearn, in some vague and inchoate way, for "freedom" from the tyranny of Brussels (Even if that means leaving decisions about the future direction of the economy in the hands of dogmatists who seem to have no conception of what to do next beyond slogans)?

8 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

Trying to stop Brexit, scuppering the will of the people, i've not heard that  before.

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 1

Brexit will happen - the question now is the shape and nature of that exit. I doubt anyone truly believes it will the same as May envisaged before the recent election. 

Edited by RAyMO

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

MvD, would YOU wan't your country entirely run by the interests of "business groups" ? Because that is what coalitions like the above will accomplish.

The UK voted - albeit narrowly - to leave the European Union. By definition, that means a so-called "Hard" Brexit. It means leaving the customs union, the single  market, the European Court of Justice, and all of the other institutions. 

Let's be really clear on this: the so-called "soft" Brexit's are simply not Brexit's at all, and are a betrayal of the referendum result. The balance of Parliament was ALWAYS against a Brexit, so what we are seeing here is nothing new.

All these articles which come from the Pro-EU / Anti-Brexit media all fail to mention a critical point. and you'd think they exist to educate and inform their readership. But when they go on about Soft Brexit, and a coalition of MP's will block Brexit. - What about the Act of Parliament that was passed in the House of Commons which mandates the UK has to Leave the European Union. and as you've mentioned, remaining part of the Customs Union/ Single Market or ECJ is not leaving the EU. What also makes me laugh is, why would we now remain part of the EU under "soft Brexit" on  worse terms than we currently have now. its a strange argument they make, - So, its clear we are leaving the political project some people just fail to see the legal position of it all.

I'm loving it, because you can tell the remoaners are still hurting. They thought Gina Miller and Associates would stop Brexit, They then thought the MP's would Vote down the Referendum result, that failed as they passed an Act of Parliament, then they thought Nicola Sturgeon and SNP could scupper Brexit, then they thought The General Election would stop Brexit, and yet 80%+ of the Vote went to the two parties who both stated in their manifesto the UK will be leaving the EU, then they turned to exploiting the differing opinion between Theresa May and Philip Hammond. hoping a leadership challenge would come and Hammond would keep us in. and it gets even more absurd, they say any Deal at the end of the negotiations has to be voted on in Parliament, IF the deal is so bad we vote it down and remain in the EU. If that was true the EU would simply give us the worst deal possible and we'd remain. :D

I cant wait till we are out - out and the snowflakes melt.

• Like 1