Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

No, as i said to Third Eye, i'm afraid you've completely lost me now. What's the Falklands and Thatcher got to do with anything at all? Are you sure you're all right? You wouldn't want a nice glass of wine or anything? :unsure2: 

what song did Thatcher sing? This one? I'd have liked to have seen that, though sadly it was before Youtube. Anyway, here it is, since you like it. 

9 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

No, as i said to Third Eye, i'm afraid you've completely lost me now. What's the Falklands and Thatcher got to do with anything at all? Are you sure you're all right? You wouldn't want a nice glass of wine or anything? :unsure2: 

And as I just said to you all, you're patethic in your hypocrisy and especially in your sudden attacks of defensive stupidity.

And as I also just said - bye, imperialists. I'm sorry I was right when I was thinking you are into EU only so you can try destroy it from within. Because there can only be one empire in your tiny little minds, your own. The sane human society concepts are so unfamiliar to you, you can't even imagine others could be trying to build something that's not an empire and is not attempting to overshadow yours. 

The only thing that consoles me, facing that monumental social impairment of yours, with its disastrous consequences, is the thought of the ways your politicians' new best friend will return you the favour.

Act now like you didn't understand anything again. It will surely fix it all. 

edit: looks like I forgot English. Fortunatelly. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy

I don't know quite why you feel so personally hurt, does it actually affect you in any way? I have to say you're not sounding altogether rational, in fact if anyone is spewing hate filled bile it would seem to be coming from your posts. Perhaps for the sake of your state of mind you ought to stick to something else for a little while, or perhaps, as i suggested, just have a nice bottle of wine or something. Your recent posts in this thread are really not rational, inasmuch as they are coherent at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

I've never considered myself xenophobic at all.

I imagine a lot of people make the same claim, but a xenophobe doesn't have to be violently anti-"everyone who isn't someone from MY country", or constantly curse foreign people, etc. All that it takes to qualify to be xenophobic, is to hold to the opinion that "some muppets from there shouldn't be allowed to have any say in what goes on here".

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I imagine a lot of people make the same claim, but a xenophobe doesn't have to be violently anti-"everyone who isn't someone from MY country", or constantly curse foreign people, etc. All that it takes to qualify to be xenophobic, is to hold to the opinion that "some muppets from there shouldn't be allowed to have any say in what goes on here".

"some muppets"?

Your words... which say a lot more about how you like to label people than mine. Maybe you'd like to point me to a post I've ever made on here which has been specifically critical of ANY other nationality, outside of a few harsh words towards nations such as Saudi Arabia, concerning human rights.

You enter into conversations on here with your own distinctive sterotypes of people, as it suits your view that anyone with a sense of nationality is somehow inferior. Ironically, you don't see that your bias is the very thing that your posts suggest you are against.

How many posts have you made on here being disrespectful towards other nationalities? Should we go and check the US section?

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

"some muppets"?

Your words... which say a lot more about how you like to label people than mine. Maybe you'd like to point me to a post I've ever made on here which has been specifically critical of ANY other nationality, outside of a few harsh words towards nations such as Saudi Arabia, concerning human rights.

You enter into conversations on here with your own distinctive sterotypes of people, as it suits your view that anyone with a sense of nationality is somehow inferior. Ironically, you don't see that your bias is the very thing that your posts suggest you are against.

How many posts have you made on here being disrespectful towards other nationalities? Should we go and check the US section?

While my wording was flippant, the meaning was sincere. And I would wager my respectfulness towards those of other nationalities against anyone else's. I may not respect an individual, but I do not let that be because of their nationality - but their words or actions. So, please check away.

My impression in general of those who voted Brexit is "why should foreigners have a say in what happens to/in our country?" Without the flippancy, it carries the same meaning as what I wrote previously, and reflects the same degree of xenophobia. Why should you, or anyone else, consider that someone from another country would not be able in assisting in the management of Britain? Do you, or others, suspect that or those "foreigners" of treating Britain less favourably than other countries, when all those countries are members of the same EU?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

Not sure Otto meant any offense...i also couldn't understand the song references. ..It's Saturday, so some are imbibing. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

You've lost me now I'm afraid. :unsure: 

I think he uses a translator and doesn't realise it makes no sense in English.

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

And as I just said to you all, you're patethic in your hypocrisy and especially in your sudden attacks of defensive stupidity.

And as I also just said - bye, imperialists. I'm sorry I was right when I was thinking you are into EU only so you can try destroy it from within. Because there can only be one empire in your tiny little minds, your own. The sane human society concepts are so unfamiliar to you, you can't even imagine others could be trying to build something that's not an empire and is not attempting to overshadow yours. 

The only thing that consoles me, facing that monumental social impairment of yours, with its disastrous consequences, is the thought of the ways your politicians' new best friend will return you the favour.

Act now like you didn't understand anything again. It will surely fix it all. 

edit: looks like I forgot English. Fortunatelly. 

Your vitriol spite and hatred says more about you than anyone else, we don't want to be a member of your club it has nothing to do with you.

44 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

While my wording was flippant, the meaning was sincere. And I would wager my respectfulness towards those of other nationalities against anyone else's. I may not respect an individual, but I do not let that be because of their nationality - but their words or actions. So, please check away.

My impression in general of those who voted Brexit is "why should foreigners have a say in what happens to/in our country?" Without the flippancy, it carries the same meaning as what I wrote previously, and reflects the same degree of xenophobia. Why should you, or anyone else, consider that someone from another country would not be able in assisting in the management of Britain? Do you, or others, suspect that or those "foreigners" of treating Britain less favourably than other countries, when all those countries are members of the same EU?

"My impression in general of those who voted Brexit is "why should foreigners have a say in what happens to/in our country?"

You're correct i don't think foreigners should have a say in our country, you think they should? and i'm xenophobia for thinking this?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Your infinitely expandable definition of xenophobia now includes anyone who isn't really happy with the idea of bureaucrats in some remote parliament who no one ever had a chance to vote for imposing laws on them? I'd have thought better of you than to resort so easily to the tired out "racist xenophobes" card, Leo. That's a really tired old argument.

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

It is their actions that people are unhappy with. Don't you understand that? It's so lazy to resort to "well, they're Belgian/Polish/Luxembourgeois/whatever, so obviously the nasty racist xenophobic little Brits just hate them because they're foreigners". And yes, I think "why should foreigners have a say in what happens to/in our country?" is a good enough argument, if no one ever got a chance to vote for these people. You don't seem to have any problem with that, which I find puzzling.  

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin

The thing being though is this should be more about EU than just specifically Anglocentric in the British sense is what I see where everybody seems to be stumbling over ...

~

8 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

It is their actions that people are unhappy with. Don't you understand that? It's so lazy to resort to "well, they're Belgian/Polish/Luxembourgeois/whatever, so obviously the nasty racist xenophobic little Brits just hate them because they're foreigners". And yes, I think "why should foreigners have a say in what happens to/in our country?" is a good enough argument, if no one ever got a chance to vote for these people. You don't seem to have any problem with that, which I find puzzling.  

I think you are rationalizing British prejudice that led to the result, a result so clearly against Britain's long-term best interests.  If the British think of Europeans as "foreigners" who have no business in British affairs, you are only repeating the bigotry and showing it in yourself.

8 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The thing being though is this should be more about EU than just specifically Anglocentric in the British sense is what I see where everybody seems to be stumbling over ...

~

If there were some way for Cambodia to join Europe, I would be all for it.  The British showed themselves arrogant and rather stupid, albeit by a narrow majority.

• Like 1

Just now, Frank Merton said:

If there were some way for Cambodia to join Europe, I would be all for it.  The British showed themselves arrogant and rather stupid, albeit by a narrow majority.

Now now Frank ... let's get ASEAN back on track first before we pour Ceylon tea instead of CHinese Tea ... :yes:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I think you are rationalizing British prejudice that led to the result, a result so clearly against Britain's long-term best interests.  If the British think of Europeans as "foreigners" who have no business in British affairs, you are only repeating the bigotry and showing it in yourself.

No Frank, it's about the fact that a government that no one in any individual country (not just Britain) has any opportunity to elect takes it upon itself it to set laws and sometimes, as in the case of Greece, impose the most draconian conditions on them - in effect imposing a dictatorship on them - in an attempt to keep their institution afloat. In fact, a lot of my animosity to the institution was because of the way they regard the people of poorer countries, such as most of the Mediterranean countries, with utter disregard.

I'm afraid that people such as Leo, Helen and now you, seem to be showing their own prejudices in resorting so easily to the "Brits always hate foreigners, it's a well known fact" argument. 

5 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

You'd be happy for Cambodia to have laws and conditions imposed on them from, say, Beijing then?

And where exactly are the long term best interests in subordinating sovereignty to a crumbling institution that needs to resort to, in effect the tactics of gangsterism, to keep itself afloat? How is that in anyone's long term best interests? 

You bring up irrelevancies and don't see the real issue.  I would not want the Chinese ruling Cambodia, and never suggested it.  Being part of Europe is a different question and a desirable thing.

13 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Now now Frank ... let's get ASEAN back on track first before we pour Ceylon tea instead of CHinese Tea ... :yes:

ASEAN is doing pretty well considering its objectives are more limited.  Any ASEAN member can travel to any other without a Visa and trade barriers have been greatly reduced and water and power sharing is now common.  There are disputes but mostly dating from ancient history or from Chinese hegemonic ambitions.  The British are giving all the benefits up and have no hegemony to worry about.  They were, by a narrow vote, just simply bigoted and stupid.

The one thing I found which was most unusual if not unfortunate was the date of the vote in relation to Euro 2016 schedule ...

then again, UK exiting Euro twice in a week was worth it in the tragicomic sense ... at least if one wasn't a Brit, or is depending on how one feels about the thing ~

~

• Like 1