Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

Just now, Habitat said:

Ali-drongo did not even bother to vote !

That's not nice. Im sure Ali cares about the direction of his nation, deeply. Any way, i noticed you chipping away at the edges in a non committal manner... so where do you stand on the brexit debate?

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

That's not nice. Im sure Ali cares about the direction of his nation, deeply. Any way, i noticed you chipping away at the edges in a non committal manner... so where do you stand on the brexit debate?

They should go with the vote,  no point in voting otherwise. 

• Like 1

Just now, Habitat said:

They should go with the vote,  no point in voting otherwise. 

Thats not answering the question. Do you think that brexit is the right thing for the UK?

Thats not answering the question. Do you think that brexit is the right thing for the UK?

I don't know, but I'm not on the ground there. However, the people have spoken. 

• Like 1

Just now, Habitat said:

I don't know, but I'm not on the ground there. However, the people have spoken. 

Im not on the ground there either but i still have an opinion. Why can't you? I think what Ali is saying is that there is nothing wrong with having a second referendum on brexit. Its a massive decision with implications just too important to allow the Daily Mail and the Telegraph to dictate to the UK population. There's nothing undemocratic about reaffirming the result now that we know the truth of brexit. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I think what Ali is saying is that there is nothing wrong with having a second referendum on brexit. 

Is he going to vote in that one ? You don't keep voting till you get the result some people want, you vote once and get the result the majority want. Simples !

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Is he going to vote in that one ? You don't keep voting till you get the result some people want, you vote once and get the result the majority want. Simples !

Really? No one said anything about 'keep voting till you get the result you want.' Its an important decision. You wanna be 100% sure. The brexiteers don't even want to include parliament into the negotiating process. I mean what are they scared of? Shouldn't parliament at least have a say in what brexit will look like and whether its a good deal and they should go ahead ? 

9 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Im not on the ground there either but i still have an opinion. Why can't you? I think what Ali is saying is that there is nothing wrong with having a second referendum on brexit. Its a massive decision with implications just too important to allow the Daily Mail and the Telegraph to dictate to the UK population. There's nothing undemocratic about reaffirming the result now that we know the truth of brexit. 

your concern is touching - :rolleyes: - but don't worry - the EU isn't the economic paradise that you and Alibongo believe it is -

and would you like to be part of a political union with your closest neighbours..?...and give up Australian sovereignty..

I'm not just talking about New Zealand... what about Indonesia, maybe even stretching up to China and India..?

Would you like that...?

Just now, bee said:

your concern is touching - :rolleyes: - but don't worry - the EU isn't the economic paradise that you and Alibongo believe it is -

and would you like to be part of a political union with your closest neighbours..?...and give up Australian sovereignty..

I'm not just talking about New Zealand... what about Indonesia, maybe even stretching up to China and India..?

Would you like that...?

Ahhh... There's a racist element to your above reply that i dot want to touch... but isn't the UK a collection of seperate nations in a political and economic union also?

9 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Really? No one said anything about 'keep voting till you get the result you want.' Its an important decision. You wanna be 100% sure. The brexiteers don't even want to include parliament into the negotiating process. I mean what are they scared of? Shouldn't parliament at least have a say in what brexit will look like and whether its a good deal and they should go ahead ? 

I will say again what I said before --- a second referendum should not be supported under any circumstances because the
result would almost certainly be rigged and subject to massive fraud -

I'm amazed the Leave result was '''allowed''' to happen in the first place -

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Ahhh... There's a racist element to your above reply that i dot want to touch... but isn't the UK a collection of seperate nations in a political and economic union also?

what racist element...?....do you mean within YOU or within ME - because your comment has surprised me...

Just now, bee said:

I will say again what I said before --- a second referendum should not be supported under any circumstances because the
result would almost certainly be rigged and subject to massive fraud -

I'm amazed the Leave result was '''allowed''' to happen in the first place -

Okay so lets say that a second referendum isn't needed cause of your "fraud" concerns.. What if the negotiations go pear shape and the UK gets a bad deal. Are there no checks and balances to stop such a thing?

May I suggest "double or nothing" ? That is what often happens when people lose a coin-toss bet ! Wanting another vote is ridiculous, unless there has been a significant change in circumstances, that could not have been foreseen.

I'll take that avoidance to mean that you wouldn't like Australia to give up it's sovereignty -

so why expect that of other nations..?

2 minutes ago, bee said:

what racist element...?....do you mean within YOU or within ME - because your comment has surprised me...

Within you! You implied that union with different ethnicities and regions was a problem.  

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

May I suggest "double or nothing" ? That is what often happens when people lose a coin-toss bet ! Wanting another vote is ridiculous, unless there has been a significant change in circumstances, that could not have been foreseen.

You know Habitat that you are directly avoiding answering any of my questions. I will try again... Lets assume that there is NO second referendum and the May government negotiates brexit. Should there be no parliament debate or any further citizen input into the process?

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Within you! You implied that union with different ethnicities and regions was a problem.  

Is it a problem for YOU --- would you like a political union with Indonesia..?...or other regional neighbours ...

6 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

You know Habitat that you are directly avoiding answering any of my questions. I will try again... Lets assume that there is NO second referendum and the May government negotiates brexit. Should there be no parliament debate or any further citizen input into the process?

They should just facilitate the process to the best effect for Britain, bearing in mind that the in/out aspect is decided and not negotiable.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bee said:

I'll take that avoidance to mean that you wouldn't like Australia to give up it's sovereignty -

so why expect that of other nations..?

Why has Britain given up its sovereignty these past 40 years it was in the EU. Britain has been the most anti-inclusive and aloof member of an accomodating political and economic union. Australia has virtually done the same with the TTIP. Love, we even signed our legal rights away so that foreign companies can actually sue the Australian government. You act like you're under foreign occupation. When all you want to do is disengage with europe in order to offer servitude to America and China.  

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

They should just facilitate the process to the best effect for Britain, bearing in mind that the in/out aspect is decided and not negotiable.

What does that mean? Brother just speak your mind and don't care what others think. Should parliament have to vote on the terms of brexit after its been negotiated or does brexit mean that the May government has a blank cheque? Its not a difficult question to answer. 

It should be a matter for executive govt. If they stuff-up the transition, they'll be answerable for that at the next election. But whatever terms were voted for, should stand.

7 minutes ago, bee said:

Is it a problem for YOU --- would you like a political union with Indonesia..?...or other regional neighbours ...

I wish you would read my responses. I already said that the entire Asia pacific region has signed the most in depth and inclusive trade deal ever. We have to reason to have a political union with Indonesia cause we have a different foreign policy to south east asia. We are part of the Western Alliance while Indonesia is a non aligned nation. Now if Indonesia was on the same page as us then why not. What would we be losing.

In what way has Britain been less Britain by sharing a union with Italy or Portugal?

Why has Britain given up its sovereignty these past 40 years it was in the EU. Britain has been the most anti-inclusive and aloof member of an accomodating political and economic union. Australia has virtually done the same with the TTIP. Love, we even signed our legal rights away so that foreign companies can actually sue the Australian government. You act like you're under foreign occupation. When all you want to do is disengage with europe in order to offer servitude to America and China.  

we were more ir less conned into the political union - as for what you say about the TTIP thing - you will have to take that up with your
government, I can't help you there - apparently the EU has been (secretly) negotiating with the US for years to become part of TTIP
and when Obama did the '''back of the queue'' threat he was probably referring to that - but now Trump will be at the helm and is
against those sort of arrangements - it will probably all just fade away...

so you think anyone who does trade deals with anyone is a kind of servitude... :huh:

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It should be a matter for executive govt. If they stuff-up the transition, they'll be answerable for that at the next election. But whatever terms were voted for, should stand.

You see that's the problem. What if May loses the next election and Labour wins? Does that mean that Labour complete the Tory agenda or should the new hypothetical government seek a new mandate? An executive decision on brexit has a shelf life.

You see that's the problem. What if May loses the next election and Labour wins? Does that mean that Labour complete the Tory agenda or should the new hypothetical government seek a new mandate? An executive decision on brexit has a shelf life.

I'll let you worry about that, but if the vote does not stand, then Alibongo was right not to vote, it was a waste of time.

• Like 1