Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit

alibongo

58 minutes ago, Habitat said:

In all seriousness, I'm thinking alibongo isn't 100% well at the moment, that being the case worrying about brexit is something he ought not load himself up with. :unsure:

You are right in that I have confused myself.

Personally, I would like us to continue to enjoy trading in the European market and keep all the economic advantages we enjoy.

I would also like us to be able to control our borders. And expel people we feel a threat to security.

The European Court of Human Rights often seems a laughing stock and denies rights to most people.

I would like us to be able to keep our Christian values and put an end to such anomalies as: UK vetinarians feel Halal slaughter is cruel, yet our supermarkets stock Halal meat, why? And countless others.

I would like our own homeless citizens to be put at the front of the housing queue, rather than immigrants newly arrived.

I would like to right all these wrongs.

But committing economic suicide via hard Brexit is not the answer.

• Like 1

Brexit: Departing UK envoy to EU Ivan Rogers attacks Theresa May's 'muddled' plan to leave union

Ivan Rogers said Prime Minister Theresa May's Government had been hindered by "ill-founded arguments" and "muddled thinking" in its approach to the upcoming talks to pull Britain out of the EU.

His harsh critiques, likely to embarrass the Government in the run-up to complex negotiations with the other 27 members of the EU bloc, were made public when the email was published by British media on Wednesday.

Mr Rogers' abrupt departure revealed the deep uncertainties within the Government about how to best protect Britain's national interest as it leaves the EU.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-05/departing-uk-envoy-to-eu-attacks-theresa-mays-brexit-plan/8162794

1 hour ago, alibongo said:

Personally, I would like us to continue to enjoy trading in the European market and keep all the economic advantages we enjoy.

I would also like us to be able to control our borders. And expel people we feel a threat to security.

The European Court of Human Rights often seems a laughing stock and denies rights to most people.

I would like us to be able to keep our Christian values and put an end to such anomalies as: UK vetinarians feel Halal slaughter is cruel, yet our supermarkets stock Halal meat, why? And countless others.

I would like our own homeless citizens to be put at the front of the housing queue, rather than immigrants newly arrived.

What you want is called Brexit, don't be scared come into the light.

Personally, I would like us to continue to enjoy trading in the European market ...........which we still may do, depending on the deals struck during the negotiations.

and keep all the economic advantages we enjoy........which are?

I would also like us to be able to control our borders. And expel people we feel a threat to security......which we can't  do whilst we're in the E.U. ......open borders & all that.

The European Court of Human Rights often seems a laughing stock and denies rights to most people.......agreed, but as long as we're in the E.U......

I would like us to be able to keep our Christian values and put an end to such anomalies as: UK vetinarians feel Halal slaughter is cruel, yet our supermarkets stock Halal meat, why? And countless others.......indeed

I would like our own homeless citizens to be put at the front of the housing queue, rather than immigrants newly arrived......indeed...but,open borders & all that

I would like to right all these wrongs.......indeed

But committing economic suicide via hard Brexit is not the answer........depends on the deals struck during the negotiations

Try and be a bit more positive. Don't think of it as us leaving the E.U. ...think of it as us joining the rest of the world.

The economic consensus was horribly wrong and here are the real reasons Brexit is SUCCEEDING

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/economic-consensus-brexit-succeeding-ashoka-mody-imf-a7509711.html

3 hours ago, alibongo said:

it's very hard to tell with you whether you are being serious or if you're being sarcastric again, but you do seem to be saying, unless you're just parodying people's views, that you do in fact think that the disadvantages of being in the EU almost outweigh the benefits, the only benefit really being that the EU has an economic stranglehold over its "members", but you just don't quite have the courage to be willing to take the step that might possibly (though by no means certainly) result in some short term pain. Take courage! As Chairman Mao once said, the longest journey starts with a single step, or something! :st

The Mogg in full flow.

It all goes back to that bonkers middle-aged woman on YouTube who said "we want our country back".

What she meant was: we used to have milk delivered daily by a milkman.

We enjoyed warm ale while we watched village cricket.

We went to friendly High Street shops before the out-of-town supermarkets arrived.

It was legal for a guest house to put up a sign saying "No blacks, no Irish, no travellers".(Why not, it is my guest house?).

We don't need these new-fangled rights and legislation, we need to move the UK back to the 1950's.

We knew where we were when we had British cars which didn't always start, and the old make do and mend spirit of the war! Which we won! We won the war! We showed jolly old Boche who was best then, didn't we! Let's show them again.

20 hours ago, Habitat said:

I interpret that emoticon to indicate your post shows confusion, Mr Bongo. You appear to say that everyone deserves a home, but if they don't have one, they don't deserve a vote. :huh:

Every UK citizen deserves a decent home.

Enough rooms, hot and cold water, enough heating, which is affordable for them. We are a very rich country, we can do this. We can afford space exploration and an advanced military.

All we need to do is prioritize care for our citizens.

I hope that is not controversial.

• Like 1

And just as an aside, Jacob Rees-Mogg probably has mental health issues, possibly suffers from Asperger's Syndrome Disorder. Which is not funny, and I am not mocking.

20 hours ago, Habitat said:

I interpret that emoticon to indicate your post shows confusion, Mr Bongo. You appear to say that everyone deserves a home, but if they don't have one, they don't deserve a vote. :huh:

Everyone deserves a decent home, a decent education, and the vote, if they are eligible.

There are hundreds of UK citizens living in sub-standard or temporary accommodation this January, including hundreds of children.

Let's get them into decent housing first, then talk about external issues. We are a rich country...at the moment.

Unless we allow business to drain away through Brexit.

11 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Brexit: Departing UK envoy to EU Ivan Rogers attacks Theresa May's 'muddled' plan to leave union

Ivan Rogers said Prime Minister Theresa May's Government had been hindered by "ill-founded arguments" and "muddled thinking" in its approach to the upcoming talks to pull Britain out of the EU.

His harsh critiques, likely to embarrass the Government in the run-up to complex negotiations with the other 27 members of the EU bloc, were made public when the email was published by British media on Wednesday.

Mr Rogers' abrupt departure revealed the deep uncertainties within the Government about how to best protect Britain's national interest as it leaves the EU.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-05/departing-uk-envoy-to-eu-attacks-theresa-mays-brexit-plan/8162794

The problem with brexit is that leaving the EU is unprecedented. Boris and Nigel are tools thinking that they have outmanoeuvred the EU and those that rally around them even more so. Like a crazy man convincing the sane that doing something extreme is ok and without risk. Theresa May needs to surround herself with realists like Ivan Rogers and not politician looking to ride the populous vote. May will fail in delivering brexit if she goes for a hard brexit. Only a soft brexit will safeguard the Uk's economic and political future. And if the UK goes soft on brexit then you should ask yourselves what is the reason of brexiting in the first place?

What a mess!  

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The problem with brexit is that leaving the EU is unprecedented. Boris and Nigel are tools thinking that they have outmanoeuvred the EU and those that rally around them even more so. Like a crazy man convincing the sane that doing something extreme is ok and without risk. Theresa May needs to surround herself with realists like Ivan Rogers and not politician looking to ride the populous vote. May will fail in delivering brexit if she goes for a hard brexit. Only a soft brexit will safeguard the Uk's economic and political future. And if the UK goes soft on brexit then you should ask yourselves what is the reason of brexiting in the first place?

What a mess!  

Quite.

The thing is Ali that the brexiteers are taking comfort in economic growth figures WHILE the UK is still a part of Europe. Claiming victory for economic conditions that have nothing to do with leaving Europe. Like you i don't expect brexit will bring on a Greek style recession BUT it will make workers conditions and capital suffer. Slower economic growth and less political clout on the world stage. 

• Like 1

It has been refreshing to hear the Bank Of England admitting its forecasts for Brexit was their "Michael Fish" moment and the economic profession was in crisis, the BofE made the concession as new figures show Britain was the fastest growing of all advanced economies last year after the services sector defied gloomy forecasts to hit a 17-month high.

It's worth mentioning that the US investment bank Morgan Stanley says its eating "humble Pie" over its wrong (pessimistic) post Brexit economic forecast. Out of all the 23  Financial intuitions used during the referendum campaign in official campaigns, every single one of them got it wrong. the humble pie comes from the fact figures are emerging taking our leaving of the EU into consideration that even, "hard Brexit" will see the UK economy continue to out perform the economies of Germany, France, Italy in fact all EU countries and this is out to a date of 2035.

And the United Kingdom remains the Number one destination for foreign investment in Europe. The fact investment from Germany, France, the Netherlands and Spain continues to increase shows their commitment to a post Brexit Britain. and why not it makes sense, The UK will be a Market outside of EU regulation and a gate way to the world, in a market where they have been established in, UK conforms to EU standards and practices which means these companies have no costs to continue they are going to have their cake and eat it.

We are also seeing investment and commitment in the financial centre in the City of London, but we are not surprised, the Remoaners kept telling us there will be an exodus from the city - well the opposite is happening. It might be because after Brexit London will still be London - the Number one Financial centre in the world, strategically placed between time zones, a wealth of History and expertise based in a English speaking Country in which English is the international language of business, and that's before we highlight the fact EU has NO financial centre in the top 10 in the world, (if we exclude the UK) if we increase that to the Top fifty then the EU has 2.

The UK Ambassador to EU Ivan Rogers, the same Ambassador who was behind David Cameron's' shambolic and failed "re-negotiation" which if it would've been successful would have most likely resulted in the UK remaining part of the EU. - He failed the Remainers and yet they where up in arms when his resignation "leaked" email to colleagues hit the headlines. - The fact he was leaving the post in November of this year anyway - what would've been the point in him starting or being part of the UK's - EU's negotiations only to leave less than halfway through - but with his failed record and he's on record saying the only ace card the UK has got with the EU was to use EU citizens in Britain as a bargaining chip sums him up perfectly. - The man should have resigned at the same time as David Cameron the pair of them went to Europe asking for nothing and came back with even less. 

Well the world didn't stop spinning over a failed Ambassador resigning  and so he was quickly replaced by our Former Ambassador to Russia, and Ukraine and now EU Sir Tim Barrow. a man who means Business and will do his country proud.

Image result for UK ambassador Tim Barrow

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

It has been refreshing to hear the Bank Of England admitting its forecasts for Brexit was their "Michael Fish" moment and the economic profession was in crisis, the BofE made the concession as new figures show Britain was the fastest growing of all advanced economies last year after the services sector defied gloomy forecasts to hit a 17-month high.

It's worth mentioning that the US investment bank Morgan Stanley says its eating "humble Pie" over its wrong (pessimistic) post Brexit economic forecast. Out of all the 23  Financial intuitions used during the referendum campaign in official campaigns, every single one of them got it wrong. the humble pie comes from the fact figures are emerging taking our leaving of the EU into consideration that even, "hard Brexit" will see the UK economy continue to out perform the economies of Germany, France, Italy in fact all EU countries and this is out to a date of 2035.

And the United Kingdom remains the Number one destination for foreign investment in Europe. The fact investment from Germany, France, the Netherlands and Spain continues to increase shows their commitment to a post Brexit Britain. and why not it makes sense, The UK will be a Market outside of EU regulation and a gate way to the world, in a market where they have been established in, UK conforms to EU standards and practices which means these companies have no costs to continue they are going to have their cake and eat it.

We are also seeing investment and commitment in the financial centre in the City of London, but we are not surprised, the Remoaners kept telling us there will be an exodus from the city - well the opposite is happening. It might be because after Brexit London will still be London - the Number one Financial centre in the world, strategically placed between time zones, a wealth of History and expertise based in a English speaking Country in which English is the international language of business, and that's before we highlight the fact EU has NO financial centre in the top 10 in the world, (if we exclude the UK) if we increase that to the Top fifty then the EU has 2.

The UK Ambassador to EU Ivan Rogers, the same Ambassador who was behind David Cameron's' shambolic and failed "re-negotiation" which if it would've been successful would have most likely resulted in the UK remaining part of the EU. - He failed the Remainers and yet they where up in arms when his resignation "leaked" email to colleagues hit the headlines. - The fact he was leaving the post in November of this year anyway - what would've been the point in him starting or being part of the UK's - EU's negotiations only to leave less than halfway through - but with his failed record and he's on record saying the only ace card the UK has got with the EU was to use EU citizens in Britain as a bargaining chip sums him up perfectly. - The man should have resigned at the same time as David Cameron the pair of them went to Europe asking for nothing and came back with even less. 

Well the world didn't stop spinning over a failed Ambassador resigning  and so he was quickly replaced by our Former Ambassador to Russia, and Ukraine and now EU Sir Tim Barrow. a man who means Business and will do his country proud.

Image result for UK ambassador Tim Barrow

I do like to drop in the Euro section here every now and then to read informed well thought out posts...Thanks Steve :tu:

Ahhh yes those same investment banks that predicted stocks falling to levels unseen in a decade if a Trump win happened....Well about that...They havn't stopped climbing since!RECORD HIGHS!!!

I'm kinda wondering if Ali is playing a game here lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

The thing is Ali that the brexiteers are taking comfort in economic growth figures WHILE the UK is still a part of Europe. Claiming victory for economic conditions that have nothing to do with leaving Europe. Like you i don't expect brexit will bring on a Greek style recession BUT it will make workers conditions and capital suffer. Slower economic growth and less political clout on the world stage. 

and something from the Guardina that predicts doom in 2030 because of Brexit is truthful and accurate? And why does being in the EU mean having any clout on the world stage? EU foreign policy is dictated by France, or at least it was, and Germany. The only time Britain had any clout on the world stage recently was Cameron's campaign along with his friend M. Sarkozy to spread Freedom to the people of Libya, and that fiasco was arguably possible because they could feel that they had the might of the EU behind them to give their campaign some credibility. 

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

and something from the Guardina that predicts doom in 2030 because of Brexit is truthful and accurate? And why does being in the EU mean having any clout on the world stage? EU foreign policy is dictated by France, or at least it was, and Germany. The only time Britain had any clout on the world stage recently was Cameron's campaign along with his friend M. Sarkozy to spread Freedom to the people of Libya, and that fiasco was arguably possible because they could feel that they had the might of the EU behind them to give their campaign some credibility. 

Thought i quoted from the Australian ABC??? Whether the UK sinks or swims post brexit i can't see how it will have more clout in European or world affairs. Britain had veto powers in the EU. Britain held back the formation of an EU army. Britain held Russian - EU ties at arms lengths. Britain had influence over EU trade deals. Britain was part of European military R&D. Britain is or rather soon to be no longer the financial capital of Europe.

No one stopped the Uk from taking on more Europe and countering French or German clout. Britain even had its own powerful northern block  EU grouping. Soon to be all gone. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Britain held Russian - EU ties at arms lengths.

well exactly, if anything British policy has been reactionary and backward. I'd be the first to agree there. Look at that silly little twerp Johnson and his bluster. If no longer being in the EU reduced the self-delusion of these people that they do have any clout that would be a highly satisfactory result. 

1 minute ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

well exactly, if anything British policy has been reactionary and backward. I'd be the first to agree there. Look at that silly little twerp Johnson and his bluster. If no longer being in the EU reduced the self-delusion of these people that they do have any clout that would be a highly satisfactory result. 

Trust you comrade to find some positive outta a backward British step. Anyway, i don't think the Washingtinople neo cons will be very pleased with Little Britain after they install their own emperor in 4 years time. 

Nice little interview from our Prime Minister, take note remoaners.

3 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Nice little interview from our Prime Minister, take note remoaners.

For those that can't be bothered watching the entire cast here is the basic jist of it...

shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer told the BBC: "She had one question put to her three times and still didn't answer it, which is, 'Are you prioritising immigration over access to the single market?'

"That was the question she didn't want to answer. And I think now, 10 to 11 weeks from the triggering of Article 50, and the most important negotiations for a generation, we need more clarity than that, and we haven't got it."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38546820

May is sailing a sinking ship and running outta fingers and toes to to plug all the holes. 

UK staggering into a catastrophic Brexit because they are sacking all the experts (presumably because they are saying the 'wrong' things:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-government-ignoring-experts-trade-deal-canada-ceta-jason-langrish-sir-ivan-rogers-theresa-may-a7515596.html