Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Hairy man' encounter still unidentified

Still Waters

The story of Arthur Marrin and his encounter with a "hairy man" in 1893 is part of the folklore of the New South Wales Southern Highlands.

Marrin, a cordial maker, was travelling on horse-drawn cart to Captain's Flat from Braidwood with a load of drinks when something frightened his dog.

When he went to investigate, a hairy creature standing six feet tall on its hind legs jumped out towards him.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-05/the-story-of-arthur-marrin-and-the-hairy-man/7693462

• Like 2

Not a man and all descriptions point to a relation with native marsupials, the two-legged posture being key.

It was 1893. They were bored and had to make up stories for entertainment. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gary Meadows said:

That really happened quite a lot and all over the map. Sold a lot of papers.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

"it had a face like a polar bear" ... *raises hand* "Yes, you in the back" . "Uh, a bear?"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Calibeliever said:

"it had a face like a polar bear" ... *raises hand* "Yes, you in the back" . "Uh, a bear?"

"In New South Wales?, nope" 

• Like 1

If you click the second link under the photo of the old newspaper print, it leads you to the Trove website. Where you can find the full article. Although it's from another local paper, 'The Goulburn Evening Penny Post', rather than the 'Braidwood Dispatch' where the story first appeared. The original isn't digitised yet. 

in the full article you read, 

Some think it's an identical beast which has frightened several teamsters travelling through Parker's Gap on the Cooma road at various times, so much so that they have left their horses and run away. Such an animal has been reported as visiting selector's places at Molonglo and Foxlowe, and there have been reports of the presence of similar ones in the Budawang and Sassafras ranges. It has gone by the name of the hairy man. Other persons maintain it is merely a wombat and perfectly harmless. 

maejdtu.jpg

38 minutes ago, oldrover said:

maejdtu.jpg

OMG that adorable, i wonder if they can be litter trained....

I suspect that as far as news goes though that the Dog that can bake is more newsworthy.  What was he baking, and who taught him to bake?  Australias Got Talent anyone?

• Like 1

Oh good.

I thought I was the only one more concerned with the dog baking.

3 hours ago, Migzilla said:

What was the dog baking?

He was first alerted to the presence of something unusual when his dog wouldn't stop baking.

He was first alerted to the presence of something unusual when his dog wouldn't stop baking.
- See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/297598/1893-hairy-man-mystery-continues-to-endure#sthash.grR1ymZS.dpuf

'Hairy man ' is old one ; either a solid  scary creature ,  a mythical creatire ,  one half way between , or an earlier type of people that 'newcomers 'drove away . 

I met a guy that ran into one. He was Welsh tourist living at a friend of mine's (aboriginal )  campsite.  I think he got spooked by their stories , even though he was a 6' 3"  wild looking drinking and brawling brickie . 

Everyone was away, massive flood, he got trapped in, no way out, no food,  eventually, no  dry firewood, got bitten by a white-tailed spider ( they can cause 'creeping necrosis'  )  He told me  " I can see these sores erupting out and spreading over  a few days , and I am thinking, if this flood doesnt end , or someone comes to get me ... this is it , I am gonna die a horrible death . So in desperation I ate a huge handful of psychedelic mushrooms  ....  

:)  - yes, the story now take an significant turn :D 

He said it must have poisoned him as the sores stopped spreading the next day and looked better.  He was in the big gunya the next night and he felt someone behind him, A hand plopped on top of his head and turned it around and it was 'the hairy man' , he held him still and stared him in the yes ... and all this stuff happened he didnt want to talk about .  Sores  started to get better, flood stopped, the others came back and said now HE looked like a wild crazy hairy man .

He babbled semi-incoherently for a few days and then went back to Wales . :D 

• Like 1

On 9 August 2016 at 6:06 AM, Gary Meadows said:

...or made a bear encounter seem more entertaining by saying it was a "hairy man." Either that or he was drunk on his own cordial.

Quite some conflict there:

When he went to investigate, a hairy creature standing six feet tall on its hind legs jumped out towards him.

Marrin's back was to a precipitous drop so he picked up a stone and hit it on the head, before finishing it off with the butt of his whip.

Finished it off! Killed it in other words. A 6 foot monster against a slightly built cordial salesman hey? Sounds like Arthur Marrin is quite prone to exaggeration, particularly so when we see the reporter for The Braidwood Dispatch offered a description of:

"It was four feet long, 11 inches across the forehead and had a face very much like a polar bear.

Shrunk two whole feet!

And had two forearms stretched out in front of him.

As Hammer says, it sounds a lot like a roo or Wallaby. Or seeming as it shrunk two feet the cryptozoological Wallaby-Roo hybrid seems the most likely choice here. 

On a more sinister note, it seems possible to me that he may have killed someone. That the body was mysteriously moved, and there seems to be quite some corroboration about the body, why else would it be moved? Did he accidentally hit someone with his cordial truck?

And then they dropped the story "like a hot potato" which indicates they may have made it up, or something is being covered up. 

I wonder if anyone has double checked the original grave just to be sure? It has been cultivated, but all the same........

• Like 1

Well if it had the face of a bear, was the size of a bear and moved like a bear when on two legs (threatened), well...

It was probably a Sasquatch.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Well if it had the face of a bear, was the size of a bear and moved like a bear when on two legs (threatened), well...

It was probably a Sasquatch.

Mate, no possible way it was a Bear unless it was a drop bear. 

Sasquathsh ?  Pffffft , over here we call them Yowies mate. My fav story is when one approached a campsite of a hardened bushie . he poured the Yowie a cup of tea and put it on the ground near him and gestured for the yowie to take it up. Cautiously the Yowie did, sipped it and liked it. he sat by the fire a bit, drank the tea and left. 

:) 

• Like 2