Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist baffles Scottish police

Professor Buzzkill

Just came across this in my local rag. Might interest some out there

Police have called in the big guns after a family experienced "violent and unexplained" events reportedly at the hands of a poltergeist.

The family who in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, have reported a number of disturbing incidents which cannot be easily explained and contacted police, who in turn called the Catholic Church to help.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11694057

• Like 4

Now surely with all the technology we have today they must of captured it on their phones and the police have body cameras. If not I'm calling it fake, no excuses in the times we live in.

• Like 7

Who you gonna call? uuuughhh.... I'm done.

• Like 2

Police were baffled this time.  Well, that's a change up from the usual scientists being baffled, or "experts" being baffled.

• Like 4

Those things happen occasionally at my house its hard to catch i rarely even see it. But it is real we need to figure out how this happens! I had two giant tubs of toys get dumped over one day simultaneously and i didnt see it from the next room but there was a crash and there they were. The part that scared me was thier placement. In order to be dumped over they had to be pulled all the way out of the cubby they were in and both were very heavy. No one was in the house but me. I usually blame my son for all the things moved but my point here is that it is definitely happening and it would be a huge advancement for science if we stopped disbelieving and started figuring out what is going on.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

What an opportunity! The family should put cameras everywhere in the house... have a direct line to the internet and broadcast it 24/7. I am sure they would get 100 million views in days. This stuff is fascinating! Anyone have a few million pounds to give me so I can buy the house and have it monitor the poltergeist 24/7?

• Like 7

If anyone can sniff out the official police report and post it here I'd be very interested to read what actually transpired on the call.

• Like 2

I wonder why there isn't an industry of trained debunkers that can analyze such situations and refer it to science based on academic criteria. It might be a bogus job, but it would also serve as a peace-of-mind for people who might get swept up in such a situation. Also, maybe there is a remote possibility that there actually is such a phenomena in play; the science would be outstanding. What kind of breakthroughs can come of it?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, switchopens said:

I wonder why there isn't an industry of trained debunkers that can analyze such situations and refer it to science based on academic criteria. It might be a bogus job, but it would also serve as a peace-of-mind for people who might get swept up in such a situation. Also, maybe there is a remote possibility that there actually is such a phenomena in play; the science would be outstanding. What kind of breakthroughs can come of it?

Some of these people don't want peace of mind. Even when evidence is debunked, they still gravitate towards the paranormal explanation. Can't for the life of me figure out why, but they do. As for poltergeist cases, it's not unusual in the situations to have one or more family members who are not quite right to begin with.

• Like 2

She declined to be interviewed further on the story, which has been reported worldwide by news organisations and shared globally via social media.

Mrs Shreenan said: “We don’t want to be in the papers, we don’t want people coming to our house. I’m not interested in talking to newspapers. You can imagine the stress we have been under.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/poltergeist-case-mum-speaks-enormous-8630255

• Like 2

Decades of supposed research and still no evidence of a poltergeist, ghost or any supernatural being. For all we know the house could be crooked and/or sinking into its foundations which could make objects fall and appear to roll across a room. I'd wager anyone even semi-professional with a scientific background could debunk this case in mere days by doing geological and structural studies as faulty wiring EMF waves can make people paranoid as can carbon monoxide leaks.

Forgetting this case, what cracks me up are the people who claim to see shadow people... I mean, how gullible can you be? Shadow people? It's not like shadows are a rarity in the real world for crying out loud. I perceive my own shadow double every day, does that make me qualified to be one of those fraudulent 'sensitives' you hear so much about nowadays?

23 hours ago, Atheist Pope said:

Decades of supposed research and still no evidence of a poltergeist, ghost or any supernatural being. For all we know the house could be crooked and/or sinking into its foundations which could make objects fall and appear to roll across a room. I'd wager anyone even semi-professional with a scientific background could debunk this case in mere days by doing geological and structural studies as faulty wiring EMF waves can make people paranoid as can carbon monoxide leaks.

Forgetting this case, what cracks me up are the people who claim to see shadow people... I mean, how gullible can you be? Shadow people? It's not like shadows are a rarity in the real world for crying out loud. I perceive my own shadow double every day, does that make me qualified to be one of those fraudulent 'sensitives' you hear so much about nowadays?

I would say there is a TON of evidence. What we don't have is proof: repeatable, scientific experimentation that produces consistent results. After nearly 30 years of avocational study I'm not so inclined as you to label everyone who's had experiences as "gullible", though I remain a skeptic.

• Like 2

Evidence isn't the right word to use in these cases as they're never repeatable empirically under strict conditions; hence, real scientists won't even waste their time on this pseudo-science garbage. As we all intuitively know, ghosts don't exist anywhere except for in Hollywood movies. However, I'm open to shifting my viewpoint should actual evidence arise and convice me of my ignorance.

A mean spirit or simply a mean prank? Why is it that these spirits are always so messy, tossing things about. Can we not find a spirit who cleans the house?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Atheist Pope said:

Evidence isn't the right word to use in these cases as they're never repeatable empirically under strict conditions; hence, real scientists won't even waste their time on this pseudo-science garbage. As we all intuitively know, ghosts don't exist anywhere except for in Hollywood movies. However, I'm open to shifting my viewpoint should actual evidence arise and convice me of my ignorance.

It's a matter of semantics of course, but a verbal story is evidence. It's admissible in a court of law when attempting to "prove" guilt or innocence. Photographs are also evidence even though their authenticity or content can be questioned. In a non-scientific setting a "preponderance of evidence" is usually sufficient as "proof" but science is a little more demanding.

I don't intuitively know that ghosts don't exist. To me it's more of a question of what a ghost actually is. I believe there are enough unexplained phenomenon that it warrants continued investigation and maybe someday we'll have better explanations for the paranormal.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 3:01 PM, Zenith said:

Some of these people don't want peace of mind. Even when evidence is debunked, they still gravitate towards the paranormal explanation. Can't for the life of me figure out why, but they do. As for poltergeist cases, it's not unusual in the situations to have one or more family members who are not quite right to begin with.

For ages this idea has been proclaimed in the consummately wise teachings of religion, probably not alone as a means of insuring peace and harmony among men, but as a deeply founded truth. The Buddhist expresses it in one way, the Christian in another, but both say the same: We are all one. Metaphysical proofs are, however, not the only ones which we are able to bring forth in support of this idea. Science, too, recognizes this connectedness of separate individuals, though not quite in the same sense as it admits that the suns, planets, and moons of a constellation are one body, and there can be no doubt that it will be experimentally confirmed in times to come, when our means and methods for investigating psychical and other states and phenomena shall have been brought to great perfection.

To sum up: maybe the science isn't there yet.

I think I would've had  a mixture of fascination and fright if this happened to me;  but hey ,when they put the Chihuahua on the hedge,  Man,That was  it!  You're messing with family now! (I have 2 Chihuahuas sitting with me as I blog). I would've declared war.

So far the only evidence we have of 'paranormal' activity in this story are third hand anecdotes from a newspaper. I looked at the picture of the '7ft' hedge the tiny dog ended up ontop of, pretty sure I could get one up there without raising too much of a fuss.

• Like 1