Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

120 year-old Indian monk 'oldest man ever'

Still Waters

Looking remarkably unlined for his claimed 120 years, an Indian monk who says he is the oldest man to have ever lived puts his longevity down to no sex or spices, and daily yoga.

Hindu monk Swami Sivananda was born on August 8, 1896, according to his passport. If true, his life would have spanned three centuries, but despite his apparent age he remains strong enough to perform yoga for hours at a time.

He is now applying to Guinness World Records to verify his claim. It currently lists Japan's Jiroemon Kimura, who died in June 2013 aged 116 years and 54 days, as the oldest man to have ever lived.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/indian-oldest-man-ever-says-yoga-celibacy-key-043114879.html

• Like 3

good for the bloke ... no sex means he ain't broken no hearts or ever had his heart broken ... that should count for an extra 50 odd years I should say ...

• Like 2

At 120 I don't think celibacy will be a problem....

11 minutes ago, schizoid78 said:

No picture???

Photos are included in the article, but here are a couple of them in case you are having difficulty accessing them.

I don't know what the rest of you think, but he doesn't look anywhere near 120 to me.

NOTfS0P.jpg?1

ZUQGkin.jpg?1

• Like 2

Its hard to say what can contribute to longevity such as this.Certainly diet is a huge part..not over exerting oneself or getting stessed out about things. Maybe some people are just predisposed with growing old, right gene pool or whatever..possibly a little luck thrown in!

Edited by khol

4 hours ago, Clair said:

I don't know what the rest of you think, but he doesn't look anywhere near 120 to me.

I'm assuming those photos were recently taken for the article. I agree he doesn't look 120. Chances are his DOB was recorded incorrectly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, third_eye said:

good for the bloke ... no sex means he ain't broken no hearts or ever had his heart broken ... that should count for an extra 50 odd years I should say ...

Well said.

• Like 1

Because he's Hindu, the other things he's abstained from are alcohol and meat.

So no sex, spicy food, alcohol or meat. Would you want to live 120 years without those things?

Empathize with his point of view rather than impose ours on him. Perhaps it is not that life is so complicated, but that simplicity is so rarely understood.

• Like 2