Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did ancient hominin 'Lucy' fall from a tree ?

UM-Bot

From the article: Anthropologist Professor Ericka N. L’Abbé at the University of Pretoria in South Africa says, "Elephant bones and hippo ribs appear to have the same kind of breakage. It’s unlikely they fell out of a tree.

For some strange reason, it's in human nature to understand why and how.  But what does it really matter why or how Lucy died?  Seems to me to be a flat-out waste of time.

• Like 4

Just think.. 3.2 million years later and we're still falling out of trees.

As for how or why Lucy died, it does matter as it helps us gain a better understanding of so many things, such as: human behavior, lifestyle (such as diet), cultural practices, life expectancy, types of illnesses, environmental influences, etc. It's not often that we find evidence of early human ancestors, so what we can determine from what little we do have is important. But what I want to know is this: If Lucy did indeed fall out a tree, was she pushed?

• Like 5

How do they know it was a tree? There are a million other ways she could've sustained a similar injury. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clair said:

Just think.. 3.2 million years later and we're still falling out of trees.

As for how or why Lucy died, it does matter as it helps us gain a better understanding of so many things, such as: human behavior, lifestyle (such as diet), cultural practices, life expectancy, types of illnesses, environmental influences, etc. It's not often that we find evidence of early human ancestors, so what we can determine from what little we do have is important. But what I want to know is this: If Lucy did indeed fall out a tree, was she pushed?

It would matter IF we knew what she was trying to get to eat or do.  Maybe she was hiding from something and fell from the tree when she tried to climb down.  This theorizes, as I don't want to ASS_U_ME, a tree was involved at all as theorized by Not Your Huckleberry.

2 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

It would matter IF we knew what she was trying to get to eat or do.  Maybe she was hiding from something and fell from the tree when she tried to climb down.  This theorizes, as I don't want to ASS_U_ME, a tree was involved at all as theorized by Not Your Huckleberry.

That goes without saying.

• Like 1

maybe, just maybe ... Lucy slipped ...

~

• Like 1

Perhaps a tree wasn't involved, as pointed out by Anthropologist Professor Ericka N. L’Abbé at the University of Pretoria in South Africa.  Moreover, perhaps Lucy received a severe beating from another ancient hominin; point is we'll never know for sure so let's put her to rest and move along.

• Like 2

OoooOooh Paleo CSI ... lovin' this I am ...

~

6 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I love Lucy.

Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!

--RICKY RICARDO, I Love Lucy

• Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:09 PM, third_eye said:

OoooOooh Paleo CSI ... lovin' this I am ...

~

Hey CBS! New idea for the CSI Franchise!  First class - Who or what killed Lucy!

• Like 1

John Hawks' take:

Skilled forensic anthropologists have only a limited degree of accuracy assessing perimortem versus postmortem fractures, when they are looking at buried skeletal remains that are only a few years old. With Lucy, we are talking about fractures that have been evident since the skeleton was found, and every previous scientist who examined them has concluded that they are likely postmortem damage consistent with the pattern on other fossils from Hadar. Showing that these fractures came from a particular traumatic event is going to take much better data than this paper provides.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/fossils/afarensis/lucy-falling-tree-kappelman-2016.html

I don't think she fell from a tree, other wise her body and bones would have been scattered and eaten by  many other animals