Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

49er Star sits during Anthem.

supervike

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/star-qb-colin-kaepernick-sacked-151923676.html

So, Colin Kaepernick, one time Quarterback superstar, now scrambling to keep his job, decided to sit during the National Anthem in his team's weekend Pre-season game.

He is protesting it to draw attention to BLM.  According to him, he will not honor a country that oppresses blacks and people of colors.  Of course, many people are very upset about his method of protest.

So, what do you think about the controversy?

Edited by supervike
  • Like 4

Forum rules preclude me from saying how I really feel.

His career is over. He will be booed mercilessly from now on.

He lost what ever skills he once had anyway.

• Like 7

IMO he did if because there are rumors he was to be cut this coming week. Obviously he would have cause to scream he was targeted so he gets to play on and make millions for warming the bench.

• Like 7

they should trade him, send him to play somewhere in somalia, or yemen, maybe he'll find out what real oppression is. and if he gets lucky he may even get sold into slavery, will see that oppression firsthand

• Like 6

Standing for the national anthem should be a choice.  He's a dick, this doesn't change that and he still would be even if he had stood, and being a Seahawk nothing he does could give me a lower opinion of him.  My personal opinion about all the patriotism for the sake of the war machine displayed during all sport events is despicable anyways.  This is a non-issue and people should just ignore him.  I'll bet you anything that since he sat down all of last season that he and his agent came up with this stunt just to get people to notice him again.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 7

He should have the right to do what he wants. This is really a big fuss about nothing in the long run, and personally he's wanted to be traded for a long time. 49ers ruined themselves with the departure of Harbough(however you spell it), and all the stupid decisions there after. 

Just like burning the flag it's his right to do so, and at the end of the day it's a piece of cloth, and this anthem is just another song. 

• Like 5

I'm not fan of his.  However, he should have the right to protest as he sees fit.  I think he is misguided in his belief, but I like that he has taken a stand (only metaphorically) to speak out on what he thinks is a wrong.  Whether he believes this firmly in it (he knew of the possible reprecussions) or is just angling for attention I don't know.

Freedom of Speech isn't always popular speech. 

(although I do get that people are upset with what he did, and they get that right to voice their opinions too)

Another minor point...Being as Football is a team sport, I can understand how his teammates would be angry with him, not because of his protest, but because he is causing a distraction.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, supervike said:

I'm not fan of his.  However, he should have the right to protest as he sees fit.  I think he is misguided in his belief, but I like that he has taken a stand (only metaphorically) to speak out on what he thinks is a wrong.  Whether he believes this firmly in it (he knew of the possible reprecussions) or is just angling for attention I don't know.

I agree. But it's a tad ironic don't you think, that in this land of oppression he has a right to his beliefs and the freedom to express them. What's most irksome is how he and people like Beyonce, do not hesitate to hijack high profile events to throw their little hissy fits. There is a time and a place. All they are doing is fanning the flames, even though they are in a position, given their profile and wealth, to do something constructive and positive. Furthermore, It annoys me to no end that they not once even mention the number of police officers who've been killed by blacks (or others for that matter). I'm just so tired of their woe is me crap. But yeah, whatever. Nothing I write will express it as well as the image Aztek posted above.

• Like 7

I had never heard of him before this.  As many have said, he has the right to express himself, but having the right does not guarantee that there will be no consequences.  Something that often gets overlooked on the subject of freedom of speech is the fact that it only applies to freedom from retaliation by the government, not others.  Most of us have no freedom of speech while we are at work.  If you're in sales and have a script to follow you'd better follow it.  If you were to badmouth the product, the customer, the company or your boss you would quickly find out that you have no rights or freedom at all.  It's the same in this situation.  The government cannot chastise him for his opinions but the fans, his teammates, his coaches and the organization surely can.  Most places would reprimand, if not terminate, any employee who's actions or opinions brought embarrassment or negative reactions upon the company.  If I were his coach I think my reaction would be "so you like to sit?  Fine, you'll be sitting out the season."

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

If I were his coach I think my reaction would be "so you like to sit?  Fine, you'll be sitting out the season."

And the owner will want to have dinner with you to warn you that if care for the job, don't waste my $19,000,000

Edited by TruthSeeker_

Just now, TruthSeeker_ said:

And the owner will want to have dinner with you and warn you that if care for you job, don't waste my $19,000,000

Perhaps a season is too much.  A game or two might get the message across just as well.  If it averts a fan boycott it should please the owner as well.

Perhaps a season is too much.  A game or two might get the message across just as well.  If it averts a fan boycott it should please the owner as well.

The thing is, he only exercised his right as an American citizen not to stand up during national Anthem. Why should he be 'punished' at all? Yes it's causing some distraction around the football club but if he does it on every game, the ''mediatic buzz'' will go away by itself.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I had never heard of him before this.  As many have said, he has the right to express himself, but having the right does not guarantee that there will be no consequences.  Something that often gets overlooked on the subject of freedom of speech is the fact that it only applies to freedom from retaliation by the government, not others.  Most of us have no freedom of speech while we are at work.  If you're in sales and have a script to follow you'd better follow it.  If you were to badmouth the product, the customer, the company or your boss you would quickly find out that you have no rights or freedom at all.  It's the same in this situation.  The government cannot chastise him for his opinions but the fans, his teammates, his coaches and the organization surely can.  Most places would reprimand, if not terminate, any employee who's actions or opinions brought embarrassment or negative reactions upon the company.  If I were his coach I think my reaction would be "so you like to sit?  Fine, you'll be sitting out the season."

Funny thing about Colin Kaepernick contract had a rounding up here $13,000,000 signing bonus, and $61,000,000 is guaranteed to him so that's one reason the 49ers won't cut him. Unless he pulls and Aaron Hernandez and kills people yeahh. 

I will admit this might be a two fold plan for Kaepernick he's been unhappy since the other coach left(I'd be too go from Super Bowl to Super ****), and he literally lost the job last year, and just sat literally speaking. So he could be doing this both because he does care, and two because he wants to be traded, and anyway I almost always never defend organizations, because at the end of the day it's a business they have no loyalty to players except for a few that I respect.

3 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

The thing is, he only exercised his right as an American citizen not to stand up during national Anthem. Why should he be 'punished' at all? Yes it's causing some distraction around the football club but if he does it on every game, the ''mediatic buzz'' will go away by itself.

As I explained in my first post, his freedom of speech as a citizen does not give him freedom of speech as an employee.  The government has done nothing against him, that's his freedom of speech in action.  His employer can do anything they want, within the limits of anti-discrimination and contract laws.  The amount of money involved may influence their decision but it does not tie their hands. 

• Like 1

The entire third stanza of the song which isn't played is what he finds offensive :

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

The entire third stanza of the song which isn't played is what he finds offensive :

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave 

If that's indeed the case, then he needs to understand the lyrics better.

• Like 1

As I explained in my first post, his freedom of speech as a citizen does not give him freedom of speech as an employee.  The government has done nothing against him, that's his freedom of speech in action.  His employer can do anything they want, within the limits of anti-discrimination and contract laws.  The amount of money involved may influence their decision but it does not tie their hands. 

Isn't it sad how everyone one is fine with surrendering freedoms in the name of work?  Does one have to be unemployed to keep all their rights?  

this was posted on my facebook today by Senior Airman Brian Kolfage 

Colin Kaepernick I lost my legs and arm fighting in the US military, the same military that I took an oath to defend our nation and flag from enemies foreign and domestic. Next time I hear the national anthem I'll be sure to stand for the both us since you feel that you've been oppressed. We live in America, the land where no one is truly oppressed in the grand scheme of things. If you want to see the real meaning of oppressed I suggest you enlist in the military and travel abroad to the Middle East where you will witness what oppression is. Where women are beaten and killed in honor if they are raped, where 6-year-old little girls are forced to marry men in their 60's, thats just a little taste of what oppression is. You Know NOTHING of what oppression is. Every American has a choice and every opportunity to better their lives, this is America the greatest country on this planet.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Clair said:

I agree. But it's a tad ironic don't you think, that in this land of oppression he has a right to his beliefs and the freedom to express them. What's most irksome is how he and people like Beyonce, do not hesitate to hijack high profile events to throw their little hissy fits. There is a time and a place. All they are doing is fanning the flames, even though they are in a position, given their profile and wealth, to do something constructive and positive. Furthermore, It annoys me to no end that they not once even mention the number of police officers who've been killed by blacks (or others for that matter). I'm just so tired of their woe is me crap. But yeah, whatever. Nothing I write will express it as well as the image Aztek posted above.

Oh absolutely, I do see the irony.  

Again, I really think it's admirable for this man to take a stand on something he believes in.  I think he is misguided on it, but it is this sort of thing (and the complaints against him) that make me proud to be an American.  We should always use that Freedom of Speech for such things.

The other thing I was thinking about was this.  Colin K. is a high profile athlete in a major American city.   He, at any time, could have called a press conference or made comments about his feelings on BLM, and the story would have been reported.  He didn't need the 'hissy fit' (as you put it ;)).  He already has a soapbox, he didn't need the drama to get his voice heard.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozfactor said:

this was posted on my facebook today by Senior Airman Brian Kolfage 

Colin Kaepernick I lost my legs and arm fighting in the US military, the same military that I took an oath to defend our nation and flag from enemies foreign and domestic. Next time I hear the national anthem I'll be sure to stand for the both us since you feel that you've been oppressed. We live in America, the land where no one is truly oppressed in the grand scheme of things. If you want to see the real meaning of oppressed I suggest you enlist in the military and travel abroad to the Middle East where you will witness what oppression is. Where women are beaten and killed in honor if they are raped, where 6-year-old little girls are forced to marry men in their 60's, thats just a little taste of what oppression is. You Know NOTHING of what oppression is. Every American has a choice and every opportunity to better their lives, this is America the greatest country on this planet.

While that's a nice post and all, and he's correct, and I do admit America has "First World problems", you should still see some of the B.S happening here in the U.S. Cause I don't think people understand just how bad some folks truly have it over here. 

I mean we forget very easy that we have our own human trafficking issues in America, and also domestic violence issues etc. Heck wasn't there a guy in Ohio couple years ago finally caught cause he held 3 girls captive for like 20 years or so? 

That whole sentence the last part I wouldn't say that so fast it depends on who you ask, and yes I'm even including white folks into that, and the first part again I say not so fast. Maybe in the major cities, or major towns that litter certain states I would say that, but if you've stayed in a rural area that doesn't have much going for it man that's a whole different story. 

He is the one who was fined a couple years ago for calling black guys the "N" word.   Pretty ironic.

I think it was in bad taste and think he's a moron for doing it.   I would think the same of Kap if he was white. His reason may have been to protest racism, but those opposed to his actions are not (for the most part) opposed because of race. It was a dumb move on his part. I'd say the same thing if a player chose to wear a confederate flag shirt or hat. While it may be pride of his southern heritage driving him, the common perception is racism. Same with Kaep. His driving force is black oppression. However the common perception is disrespect for the people who have given their lives so that we can be a free country.  

• Like 2