Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

49er Star sits during Anthem.

supervike

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

He is the one who was fined a couple years ago for calling black guys the "N" word.   Pretty ironic.

I think it was in bad taste and think he's a moron for doing it.   I would think the same of Kap if he was white. His reason may have been to protest racism, but those opposed to his actions are not (for the most part) opposed because of race. It was a dumb move on his part. I'd say the same thing if a player chose to wear a confederate flag shirt or hat. While it may be pride of his southern heritage driving him, the common perception is racism. Same with Kaep. His driving force is black oppression. However the common perception is disrespect for the people who have given their lives so that we can be a free country.  

Someone said this on radio talk show I overheard, but with the so called disrespect part it's not like a lot of these vets have been treated kindly after coming back from war. So technically if that's true, and most certain it just might be they've already been disrespected the moment they left, and top that off with people getting money off their hard work/lives yeah. 

1 minute ago, Nightgale said:

Someone said this on radio talk show I overheard, but with the so called disrespect part it's not like a lot of these vets have been treated kindly after coming back from war. So technically if that's true, and most certain it just might be they've already been disrespected the moment they left, and top that off with people getting money off their hard work/lives yeah. 

Not sure what your point is.    The vast majority of vets respect the flag greatly.    Sure there are exceptions.   There are exceptions to everything.  

There were also blacks who voluntarily fought for the Confederate States.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Big Jim said:

As I explained in my first post, his freedom of speech as a citizen does not give him freedom of speech as an employee.  The government has done nothing against him, that's his freedom of speech in action.  His employer can do anything they want, within the limits of anti-discrimination and contract laws.  The amount of money involved may influence their decision but it does not tie their hands. 

In most other sports the players are contractually obliged to stand during the national anthem otherwise this would run rampant in the NBA I guarantee it, and you would also see it in the MLB.  Not so in the NFL.  They can no more legally retaliate against him than my employer could against me.  In the USA you have the right to not stand during the national anthem. not say the pledge of allegiance, and to burn the flag.  Who cares if  he doesn't pretend to  respect the flag or what it stands for?  This is such a non-issue.  Colin Kaepernick is a punk and will always be a punk.  For some of you to get your panties in a bunch that a punk pulls an immature stunt like this is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 2

Quick question.  In the 60's Muhammad Ali refused to be drafted and was demonized.  Do any of you now believe he was in the wrong?

• Like 2

Here is the same Colin Kaepernick who just said this:

"I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed," he said. "To me, this is something that has to change. When there's significant change and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, this country is representing people the way that it's supposed to, I'll stand."

Here he is at the post game press conference wearing a Fidel Castro T-shirt.     You know how Castro has such a great record with human rights and racism.

http://babalublog.com/2016/08/29/colin-kaepernick-wears-t-shirt-idolizing-fidel-castro-who-craved-to-nuke-his-country-and-who-jailed-and-tortured-the-most-black-political-prisoners-in-the-modern-history-of-the-western-hemisphere/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Not sure what your point is.    The vast majority of vets respect the flag greatly.    Sure there are exceptions.   There are exceptions to everything.  

There were also blacks who voluntarily fought for the Confederate States.  

The point is people feel as though this guy is disrespectful for not doing this, but on the other hand these vets coming back from war etc. They're not really given best treatment they truly deserve. Which to me and many others is just as disrespectful, but it's easy to gravitate towards the media sensation at the moment. 

Also looking at your post right above this one I wonder who else is in the photo, and what's happening. It also says something at the very bottom of his shirt, and I don't even think the article tried to make out what it was. Got to be careful doing that context and perspective my friend. 

Edited by Nightgale

but he is no vet,  he did not put on uniform, and did not risk his life for the country, he does absolutely nothing for his allegedly oppressed brothers to live better, he makes millions right out of high school, i'm sure he is treated like vip everywhere he goes. he is not in a position to disrespect his country, he is shtting in the well he drinks from. 

and his argument, "black people are oppressed" lmao, did he see himself in the mirror? how about the rest of his teammates.  do any of them struggle, or being oppressed?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

The point is people feel as though this guy is disrespectful for not doing this, but on the other hand these vets coming back from war etc. They're not really given best treatment they truly deserve. Which to me and many others is just as disrespectful, but it's easy to gravitate towards the media sensation at the moment. 

Also looking at your post right above this one I wonder who else is in the photo, and what's happening. It also says something at the very bottom of his shirt, and I don't even think the article tried to make out what it was. Got to be careful doing that context and perspective my friend. 

The t-shirt is of Castro and Macolm X with the phrase - Like minds think alike on the bottom.

Even you must admit that wearing that shirt while damning the USA for oppressing people is hypocritical.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Even you must admit that wearing that shirt while damning the USA for oppressing people is hypocritical.  

i do not think in his case it is a hypocrisy, imo it is stupidity, i do not think he knows what Fidel did, and what he stands for. nor he cares as long as the man on his shirt is not white

Edited by aztek

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

i do not think in his case it is a hypocrisy, imo it is stupidity, i do not think he knows what Fidel did, and what he stands for. nor he cares as long as the man on his shirt is not white

Just another spoiled piece of crap that's been coddled as soon as coaches saw that he had an arm. I'd love to have a conversation with one of these dimwits to see exactly how stupid they are.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Quick question.  In the 60's Muhammad Ali refused to be drafted and was demonized.  Do any of you now believe he was in the wrong?

Morally or legally?

36 minutes ago, supervike said:

Morally or legally?

Morally. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Complete version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" showing spelling and punctuation
from Francis Scott Key's manuscript in th
e Maryland Historical Society collection.
O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright
stars through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bomb bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that
our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half
conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
'Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - "In God is our trust,"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Note the verse bolded by me.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Nightgale said:

Just like burning the flag it's his right to do so, and at the end of the day it's a piece of cloth, and this anthem is just another song. 

Um, no, there are laws against burning the US flag.  And the US National Anthem isn't just "another song".  So, where are you from?

This thug may have a right to protest, but he's not protesting anything actually happening, he's throwing a hissy fit just to get attention.  He hates this country, but he certainly has no problem living here and making all of those US dollars to spend.  He's a gigantic hypocrite.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, aztek said:

but he is no vet,  he did not put on uniform, and did not risk his life for the country, he does absolutely nothing for his allegedly oppressed brothers to live better, he makes millions right out of high school, i'm sure he is treated like vip everywhere he goes. he is not in a position to disrespect his country, he is shtting in the well he drinks from. 

and his argument, "black people are oppressed" lmao, did he see himself in the mirror? how about the rest of his teammates.  do any of them struggle, or being oppressed?

To play in the NFL you have to go to college he had to go through his own trials to get where he was, and I don't know what background his teammates came from do you? I know so people in the town I'm in from high school their in the NFL, and my god did they struggle, and the oppressed part you got to ask them yourself especially coming from wrong side of the tracks they were more than likely targeted. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

The t-shirt is of Castro and Macolm X with the phrase - Like minds think alike on the bottom.

I knew it was both of them just saying how the media/articles can spin it all day/night, and again no idea what was happening during that meeting which goes into the context and perspective part I was saying in the last part of my other post. Trying to look for a bigger meaning behind the shirt if there isn't one I'm okay with saying that is pretty damn stupid. 

1 minute ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Um, no, there are laws against burning the US flag.  And the US National Anthem isn't just "another song".  So, where are you from?

United States of America, but I mostly mute the National anthem, and don't give a crap about it like that either. 

I'm so tired of people's mock outrage over this on the internet. The media is really latching on to this and trying to fuel the fire to what is, essentially, a non story. He's sat down before and nobody made an issue about it. He has the right to stay seated, our country is founded on the rights of our people to do things like this. You don't have to agree with WHY he's doing this, but respect he has that right.  He can always be ignored. Best comment I've seen about this whole debacle was from a friend's father, who said when I asked what he thought about it, said "Who gives a s***?"

Edited by Vlawde
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Vlawde said:

I'm so tired of people's mock outrage over this on the internet. The media is really latching on to this and trying to fuel the fire to what is, essentially, a non story. He's sat down before and nobody made an issue about it. He has the right to do stay seated, our country is founded on the rights of our people to do things like this. You don't have to agree with WHY he's doing this.  He can always be ignored. Best comment I've seen about this whole debacle was from a friend's father, who said when I asked what he thought about it, said "Who gives a s***?"

Because BLM, Islams, Wife is fusion of BLM/Islam/Wife/Mutant...........I have no idea where I'm going with this, but your point is extremely valid. 

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I do.  I think it tarnished him an American, he was a coward.  He's still the greatest ever, just not the perfect human being.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

I know so people in the town I'm in from high school their in the NFL, and my god did they struggle, and the oppressed part you got to ask them yourself especially coming from wrong side of the tracks they were more than likely targeted. 

lol, what a lovely story.

so what was the reason they struggled? white man oppressed them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

You don't have to agree with WHY he's doing this, but respect he has that right.

And we have absolutely every right to call him out on it.

4 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

He can always be ignored. Best comment I've seen about this whole debacle was from a friend's father, who said when I asked what he thought about it, said "Who gives a s***?"

That's nice you have your own opinion on it, but others differ, and just like this thug, everyone has the right to say what they want about it.  Who gives a ****?  Many, many people do, actually.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

lol, what a lovely story.

so what was the reason they struggled? white man oppressed them?

Never said that did I? I do love how people think others in this country can't struggle though, and then top that off some are targeted.

http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/pa-judge-sentenced-to-28-years-for-selling-black-teens-to-prison

I mean that's just one example, and don't get it twisted beating you to the punch on this he probably did so to other minorities and white kids too, but again I hear about this **** a lot. 

This next part isn't for aztek, but if you're gonna use the word thug just go ahead and say the N-word cause literally when you say that it's basically what you've said. 

Edited by Nightgale
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Um, no, there are laws against burning the US flag.  

I don't think so.  Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought it was definitely defined as 'free speech' to do so. 

52 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Morally. 

I think it's a good question.   I don't honestly know.  If you took him at his word, yes, he was morally opposed to the war, as it conflicted with his Religion.  He should have the right to object.  They did deny him 'conscientious objector' status.  But, that's an easy claim to make.

If I were a parent during that time frame, and they sent my son away to serve, I can see where I'd be a bit bitter that he gets a pass, while mine didn't.

• Like 2