Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

49er Star sits during Anthem.

supervike

25 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Um, no, there are laws against burning the US flag.  And the US National Anthem isn't just "another song".  So, where are you from?

No there are not laws against burning the flag.  Look it up.  And if you read the full lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner, posted above you can see just how "not just another song" it may be for some Americans.

Edited by OverSword

18 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

And we have absolutely every right to call him out on it.

That's nice you have your own opinion on it, but others differ, and just like this thug, everyone has the right to say what they want about it.  Who gives a ****?  Many, many people do, actually.

Very true. I just don't feel all the attention on this is warranted. 

8 minutes ago, supervike said:

I don't think so.  Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought it was definitely defined as 'free speech' to do so. 

you are not wrong, burning flag is a free speech, also burning it is a proper way to retire old flag, you just have to do  it in certain way,

26 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

I'm so tired of people's mock outrage over this on the internet. The media is really latching on to this and trying to fuel the fire to what is, essentially, a non story. He's sat down before and nobody made an issue about it. He has the right to stay seated, our country is founded on the rights of our people to do things like this. You don't have to agree with WHY he's doing this, but respect he has that right.  He can always be ignored. Best comment I've seen about this whole debacle was from a friend's father, who said when I asked what he thought about it, said "Who gives a s***?"

I agree, but I'm more tired of the mock outrage at the people who disagree with Kaepernick.   ESPN has been fanning this flame as if it should be the top story of the week.   

I think he was dumb for doing it, but let it go.   Lots of dumb people in the world.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

Never said that did I? I do love how people think others in this country can't struggle though, and then top that off some are targeted.

http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/pa-judge-sentenced-to-28-years-for-selling-black-teens-to-prison

I mean that's just one example, and don't get it twisted beating you to the punch on this he probably did so to other minorities and white kids too, but again I hear about this **** a lot. 

This next part isn't for aztek, but if you're gonna use the word thug just go ahead and say the N-word cause literally when you say that it's basically what you've said. 

no you did not say it, i just wanted to make sure.

people do struggle in usa,  but it is not limited to blacks,  yet the guy protests against black people being oppressed, obviously by whites.

no, thug is a thug, it has nothing to do with race, sure some thugs are black, some are white, yellow, or Hispanic. lets not interchange  the behavior with race., there are blacks who are not thugs,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

if you're gonna use the word thug just go ahead and say the N-word cause literally when you say that it's basically what you've said. 

Wow. You're pathetic. Lemme guess, college student?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, supervike said:

I don't think so.  Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought it was definitely defined as 'free speech' to do so. 

Ah, there are local laws that prevent such things.

Or, at least, I recall some existing.  Now I can't remember where.

But, try to burn a flag sometime and let it be know that you are doing it.  Let's see what happens.

EDIT

I did find this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration#United_States

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

42 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

United States of America, but I mostly mute the National anthem, and don't give a crap about it like that either. 

And I'm going to mute you because I don't give a crap.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

Wow. You're pathetic. Lemme guess, college student?

Not even, former college student, but trust me the way I've heard the word used that's exactly what it means no matter how many times you think others are pathetic for pointing it out. Don't try a comeback post about origins etc because words change meanings in every era, and right now I'm telling you that's how it's implied. 

@ZZ430 if you even read this muting people because they don't like something, and don't agree with you real mature, and then I'm called the "college student". 

Edited by Nightgale
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

I'm so tired of people's mock outrage over this on the internet. The media is really latching on to this and trying to fuel the fire to what is, essentially, a non story. He's sat down before and nobody made an issue about it. He has the right to stay seated, our country is founded on the rights of our people to do things like this. You don't have to agree with WHY he's doing this, but respect he has that right.  He can always be ignored. Best comment I've seen about this whole debacle was from a friend's father, who said when I asked what he thought about it, said "Who gives a s***?"

I'm not so sure it is mock outrage that we are seeing.  Because it's an election year, and an extremely divisive one at that, peoples' patriotism is running high.  In another year perhaps his actions were or would have been ignored.  The media is the media, a business masquerading as a public service.  They will latch onto anything that promises potential ratings and try to wring every last drop from it.  Of course he has the right to remain seated, just as every other citizen has the right to express their opinion about it.  But having the right to do something does not automatically make it a wise decision to do it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

but if you're gonna use the word thug just go ahead and say the N-word cause literally when you say that it's basically what you've said. 

Tough.

And the two words are not related at all.  It's a bit racist to claim otherwise, isn't it?

THUG

THəɡ/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
  1. 1.
    a violent person, especially a criminal.
    synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal; More

2. 2.
    historical
    a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

So, if you're going to protest the use of the word as a descriptor, do some research first.  We're not actually using it correctly, but we're also a bit angry at this jerkwad's actions.  Wait, can I use "jerkward"?  Does that insult you?

Go ahead and claim that the meaning of the word has changed,  You won't be right, but hey, if you're comfortable playing the race card that way, have at it.
Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Tough.

And the two words are not related at all.  It's a bit racist to claim otherwise, isn't it?

THUG

THəɡ/
noun
  1. 1.

2. 2.
    historical
    a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

So, if you're going to protest the use of the word as a descriptor, do some research first.  We're not actually using it correctly, but we're also a bit angry at this jerkwad's actions.  Wait, can I use "jerkward"?  Does that insult you?

Go ahead and claim that the meaning of the word has changed,  You won't be right, but hey, if you're comfortable playing the race card that way, have at it.

I guess they didn't teach definitions to these 'former' college students.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, aztek said:

no you did not say it, i just wanted to make sure.

people do struggle in usa,  but it is not limited to blacks,  yet the guy protests against black people being oppressed, obviously by whites.

no, thug is a thug, it has nothing to do with race, sure some thugs are black, some are white, yellow, or Hispanic. lets not interchange  the behavior with race., there are blacks who are not thugs,

Oh believe me I know that first hand, and as for the rest now I'm gonna go off on a limb and say this, but personally not all blacks wake up and just claim to be oppressed by whites, and sometimes I feel when I lurked the forums for a long time you guys seem to miss that. It's just that there is still a systematic problem with racism/prejudice etc, and that's the only point most people are trying to get across.

As for the thug part don't get me wrong I just said to the other guy, but I know thug can mean anything, but just like most are saying here about Kapearnick how he says something there is a reaction. Same thing applies to this you're saying the word, and you perceive it as just another word, but to others it's perceived differently. That's why I said if you say that you might as well say the N-word because how I've heard it used is in a way to belittle other blacks, and not everyone experience is the same. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Tough.

THUG

THəɡ/
noun
  1. 1.

2. 2.
    historical

Now read this back, and ask yourself is Colin Kapearnick either one of those, oh he's not so then why use it at all? 

Holy **** I didn't realize I was in a yu-gi oh duel I forgot all my cards at the house. 

2 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

Same thing applies to this you're saying the word, and you perceive it as just another word, but to others it's perceived differently.

There's a difference between facts and someone's 'perception'. That word has been hijacked by you and your ilk, like everything else that sends you scurrying for safe spaces.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

............... you might as well say the N-word because how I've heard it used is in a way to belittle other blacks, and not everyone experience is the same. 

i heard thugs referred to cops many times, but sure it is used to belittle blacks, that deserve belittling, those who actually are thugs.

Edited by aztek

7 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

There's a difference between facts and someone's 'perception'. That word has been hijacked by you and your ilk, like everything else that sends you scurrying for safe spaces.

Edited by Nightgale
Can't type anything for some reason???

3 minutes ago, Nightgale said:

Now read this back, and ask yourself is Colin Kapearnick either one of those, oh he's not so then why use it at all? 

Holy **** I didn't realize I was in a yu-gi oh duel I forgot all my cards at the house. 

Kap may be different things to different people, but the definition of "thug" doesn't fit him. Maybe if he beat up and robbed fans in the parking lot after the game.....

21 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I'm not so sure it is mock outrage that we are seeing.  Because it's an election year, and an extremely divisive one at that, peoples' patriotism is running high.  In another year perhaps his actions were or would have been ignored.  The media is the media, a business masquerading as a public service.  They will latch onto anything that promises potential ratings and try to wring every last drop from it.  Of course he has the right to remain seated, just as every other citizen has the right to express their opinion about it.  But having the right to do something does not automatically make it a wise decision to do it.

Yeah, I doubt many people think it wise. But right on about the media. They've done their share in dividing people in regards to the election, and inspiring outrage over stories like this is bad for us overall, but good for the media's bottom line.

One of the problems when these kinds of things happen is that people are reacting on emotion, fanned by the media, not logical thought. When folks can't discuss their differences logically, it turns into a shouting match, and the equivalent of a schoolyard fight

• Like 1

Can't type anything for some reason???

You must've 'triggered' someone on the 'net.

I'm not going to stop using the term "thug" because of someone perceiving it to be an insult to only them.  Every race has thugs.   Typically the culture, dress and actions have allot to do with it.    Just because a larger number of black people embrace this culture doesn't make the term theirs.   

I don't think Kaep is a thug.   Far from it. 

• Like 2

@Sweetpumper again definitions and words change every hours/day/month/year, and heck they've been adding to the dictionary as we speak so yeah I doubt if I'm scurrying for a safe place(don't know why either). 

@aztek That's the thing it was used towards other blacks that were "good", and that's the issue at least for me. 

Edited by Nightgale

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'm not going to stop using the term "thug" because of someone perceiving it to be an insult to only them.  Every race has thugs.   Typically the culture, dress and actions have allot to do with it.    Just because a larger number of black people embrace this culture doesn't make the term theirs.   

I don't think Kaep is a thug.   Far from it. 

He's not a thug. Just a soon-to-be free agent.

• Like 2

NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s conversion to social activism coincided with his romancing of a hip hop DJ of Egyptian descent who has frequently spoken about perceived racial injustices and “Islamaphobia” in the U.S.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/08/30/kaepernick-social-media-posts-laud-black-lives-matter-black-panthers-since-dating-activist-dj.html

Of course.

@aztek That's the thing it was used towards other blacks that were "good", and that's the issue. 

and some blacks do not think twice to throw a "racist" label on any white who does not agree with them even if the issue has nothing to do with race. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

You must've 'triggered' someone on the 'net.

Seems to be only you apparently, but oh well I guess it just doesn't bother me much.