Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists record two dolphins 'chatting'

UM-Bot

I love that this may be investigated! With the interest in finding life elsewhere it would be so much more useful and easier to recognise and begin understanding the intelligent life on earth. Then again you couldnt communicate much with even a human unless you first learn the same language... It would be amazing to break down that barrier and decrypt a language tho

• Like 1

Conversation Translation:

Dolphin #1 "What do these humans want now?"

Dolphin #2 "I have no idea but they are certainly nosey."

Dolphin #1 "I just wish they'd go away and leave us be for goodness sakes."

Dolphin #2 "I hear ya. Hey, wanna see if we can get some fish for lunch?"

Edited by Lilly
typo
  • Like 3

"Hey, what do you want to do today?"

"Go eat some fish."

"Fish? Again? I'm sick of fish!"

"Well, that's what's on the menu."

"I'd kill for a bag of Cheetos....."

"Know what you mean...."

7 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

For the first time, a conversation between two dolphins has been recorded using a special microphone.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/298704/scientists-record-two-dolphins-chatting

This makes me want to sing Talk to the Animals. On the more serious side I think we ought to do more research on communication with animals.

Dolphins language could be learned by trainers such as those at Sea World who interact with them.Just as pet owners learn the meanings of body language and certain meanings of sounds  from birds, dogs, etc. You have to be close to them to discover a certain lingo.

I thought a like study was already done years ago by US military with dolphins when they had military working dolphins. It wasn't commentated much about dolphins but dolphins from different families communicate differently then other groups so it is a learned language. It works the same with same species of birds, they have different chirps and songs so in reality, just like people the have different languages in different groups. It's an amazing thing if we could cross the language barrier of any other species. 

12 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

I love that this may be investigated! With the interest in finding life elsewhere it would be so much more useful and easier to recognise and begin understanding the intelligent life on earth. Then again you couldnt communicate much with even a human unless you first learn the same language... It would be amazing to break down that barrier and decrypt a language tho

And even then, it's not a given!

It's a shame they still make up to 30% of the tin tuna we eat. 

Well, I guess language is not necessarily convergent. 

If it really is a "language" this would be marvellous, a whole new field of study. We have toyed with the idea, and some have taken it seriously, I suspect if there is anything to the claims we will see some pretty amazing headlines at some point.

If a Dolphin pops it's head out of the water, and says "So Long, and Thanks For all the Fish" I am grabbing the nearest towel and sticking my thumb out......

G6xaIAR.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, danielost said:

they found years ago that each dolphin has a name.

I remember reading that, it must have been in Scientific American. Each one responded to that to come back to their group. That was a good point to bring up. Whenever there is a language involved, the first thing taught is the name,  mommy, daddy, baby. With a pet, it first learns it's name before training and associated word commands.  

To me, if dolphins give each other names and chirp, tweet and with other sounds like sonar to each other, that is showing they have a language. They are very intelligent mammals.

They have been known for centuries for helping drowning people and even fighting off sharks to help them. It is in their nature to be altruistic just as a human that tries to help beached or netted dolphins and whales. Why do some of us do it, because we know they are sentinent like us, much more than a fish. So they must help people because they feel the same for us, wild dolphins are not trained to rescue humans, but they do.

Edited by White Unicorn
Edit
  • Like 1

there was a dolphin that got tangled in fishing line.  it sought out the help of a scuba diver.  so yes, intelligent and know who can help them if needed.  the diver was no where near where the dolphin lived.  the dolphin had to swim for miles to get the diver.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, danielost said:

there was a dolphin that got tangled in fishing line.  it sought out the help of a scuba diver.  so yes, intelligent and know who can help them if needed.  the diver was no where near where the dolphin lived.  the dolphin had to swim for miles to get the diver.

Where did you see this, on Nickelodeon?

serious time warp for me on this one... perhaps they've just refined the details of it, but I would swear that this has been known since before 2000... 

• Like 1

Fascinating TV news footage here (Brisbane) last night of a humpback whale carrying its calf on its back, while pursued by a pack of sharks (could have been twenty, likely black whalers). I was wondering how that whale communicated that to the calf, to stay there. Seemed to make a safe escape.

Everything in nature is communicating all the time...

• Like 2

dogs communicate with each other so do cats.  have you not seen this.  cats make 100 sounds and they all reserve one for humans.  that being the meow.

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

This parrot speaks cat:

Perfect illustration of a species breaking the language barrier, now if our scientific researchers would only do more of a the same as the bird brains do LOL