Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do We Forget?

Claire.

Why Do We Forget?

The brain, with its 100 billion neurons, allows us to do amazing things like learn multiple languages, or build things that send people into outer space. Yet despite this astonishing capacity, we routinely can’t remember where we put our keys, we forget why we went to the grocery store, and we fail when trying to recall personal life events. This apparent contradiction in functionality opens up the question of why we forget some things but remember others. Or, more fundamentally, what causes forgetting?

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 3

in my case, I have to work hard to learn something, except when I drive somewhere new.  if I don't drive I can't get back there.  that is the point if you work hard you remember.  if you don't you forget.  which is why most people put their keys in the same place everyday.

• Like 1

Our biology isn't as efficient as properly constructed synthetic alternatives, but it is self-repairing so that's a plus.  This question is about as reasonable asking why can't modern computers write good science fiction stories on their own.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wickian said:

Our biology isn't as efficient as properly constructed synthetic alternatives, but it is self-repairing so that's a plus.  This question is about as reasonable asking why can't modern computers write good science fiction stories on their own.

Huh ? What are these alternatives you speak of, and where are they to be found ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Habitat said:

Huh ? What are these alternatives you speak of, and where are they to be found ?

What do think is more accurate and efficient, a person cutting a given material/object into a proper form and shape or a machine specifically built to do so?

That's just one of many, many examples I could think of.  When it comes to speed, accuracy and reliability then machine operated tasks are simply better than human hands in almost any scenario.  The exceptions being objects that are as much as art as a science to create.

11 minutes ago, Wickian said:

What do think is more accurate and efficient, a person cutting a given material/object into a proper form and shape or a machine specifically built to do so?

That's just one of many, many examples I could think of.  When it comes to speed, accuracy and reliability then machine operated tasks are simply better than human hands in almost any scenario.  The exceptions being objects that are as much as art as a science to create.

Well, why aren't there artificial hearts worth a damn ?

20 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Well, why aren't there artificial hearts worth a damn ?

The technology hasn't caught up to outright replace organs within a living biological creature that responds to brain signals and the general condition said creature is in yet.  I am fully confident that such a thing is possible, we just haven't learned how to do it yet.

We do have less advanced things like pacemakers though.

It's a battle for hearts and minds, daniel.

18 hours ago, Clair said:

Why Do We Forget?

The brain, with its 100 billion neurons, allows us to do amazing things like learn multiple languages, or build things that send people into outer space. Yet despite this astonishing capacity, we routinely can’t remember where we put our keys, we forget why we went to the grocery store, and we fail when trying to recall personal life events. This apparent contradiction in functionality opens up the question of why we forget some things but remember others. Or, more fundamentally, what causes forgetting?

Read more: Scientific American

I think we are made to erase a lot of links to memory for more storage lol. The things most useful to be used at present keep the links functioning.

I was told by a psychologist friend that I was questioning on the subject of memories an interesting view. It was  that past events events most remembered in the most details were ones that were extremely good or bad. Other memories aren't as detailed or accurate because if we trigger them later they are not complete and our present mind tends to fill in the blanks as a newer memory, that's not totally accurate.

• Like 2