Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

John Franklin's long-lost HMS Terror found?

Likely Guy

"A video shared with CBC News and produced by the Arctic Research Foundation appears to show images of the submerged HMS Terror, one of Sir John Franklin's two ships lost in the doomed 1845 Franklin Expedition, in a Nunavut bay.

On Monday morning, British newspaper the Guardian reported that the ship, which was abandoned in sea ice in 1848 during a failed attempt to sail through the Northwest Passage, was found "in pristine condition" in Nunavut's Terror Bay, north of where the wreck of HMS Erebus — the expedition's flagship — was found in 2014.

The crew of the Arctic Research Foundation's Martin Bergmann research vessel found the shipwreck, with all three masts standing and almost all hatches closed, on Sept. 3."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/hms-terror-found-1.3758400

• Like 4

"Resting proud on 24 metres of water, we found HMS Terror — 203 years old, it is perfectly preserved in the frigid waters of the Northwest Passage," Arctic Research Foundation spokesman Adrian Schimnowski says in the video.

This video is very appropriate...

• Like 5

I think this is exciting.  I have long been interested in this expedition and its fate.  Have an interesting book with details of the frozen buried bodies they have found in the past, of some of the crew.  Almost perfectly preserved, and once examined and recorded, reburied with respect.  They were able to identify the bodies as the coffins had name plates.

Frozen in Time (The Fate of the Franklin Expedition) by Owen Beattie and John Geiger first published in 1987, for anyone interested.

edited to correct predictive text 

Edited by Susanc241
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

I think this is exciting.  I have long been interested in this expedition and its fate.  Have an interesting book with details of the frozen buried bodies they have found in the past, of some of the crew.  Almost perfectly preserved, and once examined and recorded, reburied with respect.  They were able to identify the bodies as the coffins had name plates.

Frozen in Time (The Fate of the Franklin Expedition) by Owen Beattie and John Geiger first published in 1987, for anyone interested.

I remember reading 'Frozen in Time' when I was about 7 or 8. The images of those preserved corpses gave me nightmares. There was one in particular 'John Torrington' whom I found to be especially terrifying.

• Like 4

I'd be ashamed to post a video like that. Most of the speakers are barely or not intelligible.

On 9/13/2016 at 3:02 AM, Susanc241 said:

So they found bodies of the crew?   I didn't realize that.   I'd never done much research on this though.  

Sounds like this would be good movie material.  

It's interesting that an Inuitt was able to pinpoint the position-not where it was expected. There has been a lot of dispute among researchers about the Inuit stories concerning the fate of the two ships.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2016 at 6:51 AM, Codenwarra said:

I'd be ashamed to post a video like that. Most of the speakers are barely or not intelligible.

You do know that actors and full production crews are are not usually found on real research vessels in the Arctic friggin' Circle right?

• Like 2

I am perfectly aware of that.  

• Like 1

On 14/09/2016 at 1:17 PM, Myles said:

So they found bodies of the crew?   I didn't realize that.   I'd never done much research on this though.  

Sounds like this would be good movie material.  

Image result for g hms terror bodies

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 0:58 PM, Myles said:

Wow, thanks.   I think.    Pretty gruesome. 

It's hard to believe they died in the 1840s. it looks like they died just a few days ago.