Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Selling your soul to god

XenoFish

This is something that has just popped into my mind because of another thread.

Would you sell your soul to god?

What would you sacrifice (on a personal level) to show devotion?

Would the sell be full or temporary?

Would you take a vow to god for a specific outcome?

Answer freely as I am curious.

• Like 4

Is there asphalt involved here ? need to know about the obstacles first.

Personally, I would rather sell my soul on ebay.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Well I have to ask because I can't sell my soul, being a ginger and all. Though these are just random curious questions as this sections gotten a tad stale as is. Why not toss the believers and nons a curve ball.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I can't sell my soul, being a ginger and all.

Jeeze, does their god have a "look" code? 

If god made man, then why would he want to buy souls? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jesus_ said:

I wouldn't sell my soul to him but I do believe in him. He's real

But didn't you do that. I mean accepting Jesus and being baptized is basically a contract between you and god.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Jeeze, does their god have a "look" code? 

If god made man, then why would he want to buy souls? 

The god above the current god created gingers.

• Like 3

straight answer: i don't think souls exist. rather difficult to sell something like that.

have you ever read the will eisner comic "a contract with god"?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jesus_ said:

I wouldn't sell my soul to him but I do believe in him. He's real

Real as in ones mind and heart......which really  comes under ones beliefs and can not be confused with what is real in terms of physical and actual and proven.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The god above the current god created gingers.

So did the god above the current god create the current god and where is the god above the current god now?

that hurt!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Just now, freetoroam said:

So did the god above the current god create the current god and where is the god above the current god now?

The answer to that is potato.

• Like 7

Really think about it. When someone takes up a deity based religion there are often rituals used to pledge loyalty right? So if we really think about it all Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc have sold their soul/consciousness to an entity. But I'm curious to the motivation behind the act. I see the skeptics are here, so where are the believers. Only one so far. Come on, deep thoughts here people.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

But doesn't (g)God own the soul anyway?  I mean, by default if you accept god's word, isn't that a contract?  Maybe not as binding as one with the devil, but a contract nonetheless?

I was raised baptist, went to church every single Sunday (ugh) and none of it stuck...I still don't quite have the grasp of the why's and why not's of religious fervor and souls and going to hell if you aren't good in the name of god and if you are you get into that exclusive members-only club with the nice golf course all that gobbledygook.

• Like 6

That's where the curious aspect of it is. People make claim all the time here of having god on there side. So what if this is perhaps the results of them selling their soul. And what if 'god' isn't god at all. What if the god of each religion is just demon or whatever. Call this a thought experiment if you'd like. 

• Like 1

more extreme calvinist belief states that god has already chosen the saved and unsaved. there is no choice to be made. an omnipotent, omninpresent being would already know and have chosen for you.

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's where the curious aspect of it is. People make claim all the time here of having god on there side. So what if this is perhaps the results of them selling their soul. And what if 'god' isn't god at all. What if the god of each religion is just demon or whatever. Call this a thought experiment if you'd like. 

Well, everyone's god is another person's devil/demon/fiend/democrat/whatever.

Odin, Thor, Freya and the rest of their pantheon are not demons, however.

:P 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

more extreme calvinist belief states that god has already chosen the saved and unsaved. there is no choice to be made. an omnipotent, omninpresent being would already know and have chosen for you.

That's a damn good point.  If a god has such power, why bother with the dog and pony show?  Does he get a kick out of people working their ass off to get in his good favor?  I guess he does.  Or maybe if the untouchables think they have a chance, the world should be a much better place by their actions.  But he'd already know that and know the outcome, so even his non-efforts are a waste of time.  He's just doing ir for ****s and giggles...or, I think you just proved that god doesn't exist.  Don't get killed at the next zebra crossing for your revelation....

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

No Way! I'm a follower of God, but not a slave. I think the idea of selling yourself is pretty loathsome. 

I wonder what God would do with all the souls sold to Him? And what would I get in exchange that isn't offered for free by the Salvation of Jesus Christ?

3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

And what would I get in exchange that isn't offered for free by the Salvation of Jesus Christ?

But by accepting that, isn't that basically willful servitude?

(Don't misunderstand the point of this thread, I'm coming at this from a non-antagonistic point of view.)

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

On a hot summer night....would you offer your throat to the wolf with red roses?

• Like 3

Lots of people sacrifice the tip of their son's genitals... I've always thought that sort of thing should be left up to the individual myself...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

How much ?

:P

~

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Lots of people sacrifice the tip of their son's genitals... I've always thought that sort of thing should be left up to the individual myself...

I don't think too many would opt for it at the age of legal responsibility, nor should they.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

But by accepting that, isn't that basically willful servitude?

(Don't misunderstand the point of this thread, I'm coming at this from a non-antagonistic point of view.)

Yes, it is willful servitude, but if you keep your soul, you're free to leave whenever you want. It is the difference between showing up to work each day and being forced to work each day. If you are not in a contract, you can leave your job whenever you want, if you are under contract,  you are literally forced to work.