Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S.-led Forces Strike Syrian Troops

Claire.

U.S.-led forces strike Syrian troops, prompting emergency U.N. meeting.

U.S.-led coalition air strikes killed dozens of Syrian soldiers on Saturday, Russia and a monitoring group said, putting a U.S.-Russian brokered ceasefire in jeopardy and prompting an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting.

The United States military said the coalition stopped the attacks against what it had believed to be Islamic State positions in northeast Syria after Russia informed it that Syrian military personnel and vehicles may have been hit. A U.S. military official said he was "pretty sure" targets mistakenly hit in the strikes were Syrian forces.

Russia called for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council after the incident, and diplomats said the 15-member body was due to meet behind closed doors at 7:30 p.m. ET. Moscow cited the strikes, which allowed Islamic State fighters to briefly overrun a Syrian army position near Deir al-Zor airport, as evidence that the United States was helping the jihadist militants.

Read more: Reuters

• Like 3

Looks like the US doesn't truly want to have ISIS defeated.

Why else would they strike the very people who have been fighting them since the beginning?

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Looks like the US doesn't truly want to have ISIS defeated.

Why else would they strike the very people who have been fighting them since the beginning?

...if ISIS didn't have anything to gain from that encounter then it called easily be written off as friendly fire but ISIS profited from this and thats disturbing.

• Like 2

It's no big secret that the US wants Assad gone.  

Killing troops  in their home country is a big deal though.  Not sure if an apology is going to work.  It's like the Japanese bombing us at Pearl Harbor and then saying, "Whoops."

The end result will probably be us being forced to walk away from Syria and letting the Russians and Iranians take care of it.  (And our "moderate allies")

• Like 3

Considering Syria was always a Russian ally, the US should have budded out from there from the very start.  Instead, the pure greed for world hegemony has led them to assist the most dangerous and brutal terrorist organisation on this planet. 

Outrageous. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thanato said:

The fog of war runs deep. Easily accept mistaken identity. I believe the US thought they were ISIS

BS, not with the level of intel these days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

BS, not with the level of intel these days.

A us pilot straffed a Canadian platoon in Afghanistan 10 years ago killing 1 and wounding the rest.

that didn't require Intel that was mistaken identity.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thanato said:

The fog of war runs deep. Easily accept mistaken identity. I believe the US thought they were ISIS

With the negatives seriously outweighing the positives in the case of a deliberate attack, I am sure you are right.  But the US isn't there as an ally.  In fact, the Syrians already viewed us as aiding the "terrorists".  We were walking a borderline already with who we were targeting.  Our killing of the 60-80 Syrian soldiers is us tripping over that borderline.  If the Syrians declare hostilities over this, what do we do?     Start killing more government troops and furthering the "US is helping terrorists" image?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thanato said:

Well, it's not like the US couldn't drop a call to Moscow and inquire about it. Anyone who follows this conflict knows that Syrian troops are operating in the Deir Ezzor area against ISIS. I'm not sure why they would start dropping bombs there without some sort of coordination.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thanato said:

A us pilot straffed a Canadian platoon in Afghanistan 10 years ago killing 1 and wounding the rest.

that didn't require Intel that was mistaken identity.

In this instance, 4 separate attacks were conducted using a pair of F-16s along with twin A10 support planes.  Hardly a case of a single confused pilot...try harder.

• Like 2

The disturbing aspect of this may be that the Brass back in the US has lost control over those conducting the Operations over there in Syria

~

• Like 3

Yes indeed it appears that "rogue-ish" elements of our so-called coalition are attempting to ignite a major flareup in the hopes that the cease-fire can be permanently broken.  Essentially, they are becoming quite desperate and are willing to resort to ever-more naked provocations.  It won't work.

• Like 2

Just pull out and let them kill each other.  No need to waste our expensive weapons on it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Just pull out and let them kill each other.  No need to waste our expensive weapons on it.

A classic case of "stir the pot and pull the paddle".

Thanks for the failed, so-called "effort".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

A classic case of "stir the pot and pull the paddle".

Thanks for the failed, so-called "effort".

You'd blame the US regardless the outcome.  If we stay we're meddling murderers, if we leave we're cowardly bunglers.  Personally I think we are dangerously close to stumbling into a major conflagration.  At some point a US or Russian aircraft could be destroyed or a US or Russian ground unit decimated and the whole thing escalates out of control.  This instability was brought about by pulling forces from the M.E. without any contingency for the aftermath.  I'm curious, if the US pulled all forces from the region tomorrow, what would you expect the outcome to be?

• Like 2

Who cares? The Russians have been joyously bombing the crap out of rebels we support. It's good to remind them collateral damage can cut both ways. Our uneasy alliance with them is a marriage of convenience and political expediency, nothing more.  The last thing the Russians want is to fall into the trap of a proxy war hemmed in on three sides as they are by US allies.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Who cares? The Russians have been joyously bombing the crap out of rebels we support. It's good to remind them collateral damage can cut both ways. Our uneasy alliance with them is a marriage of convenience and political expediency, nothing more.  The last thing the Russians want is to fall into the trap of a proxy war hemmed in on three sides as they are by US allies.

Yeah I would have to agree. As far as this uneasy alliance goes, I don't see it ending well quite frankly.

24 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I expect the millions of displaced Syrians care - who might one day like to go home - if only the US / Britain etc would stop interfering and supporting violent insurgents - 

Why are 'you' supporting ''''rebels'''  anyway? And who exactly are the rebels you are supporting ..?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bee said:

I expect the millions of displaced Syrians care - who might one day like to go home - if only the US / Britain etc would stop interfering and supporting violent insurgents - 

Why are 'you' supporting ''''rebels'''  anyway? And who exactly are the rebels you are supporting ..?

Why don't you research that instead of making absolutist statements about that which you know not? It's not the rebels who were dropping barrel bombs on civilian population centers.

I think its a bit and far too late a stage to start to begin pointing fingers at who is what on the worse of the lot in regards to atrocities ...

~

U.N. Official Warns Syrian Rebels About Atrocities

By KAREEM FAHIMSEPT. 10, 2012

~
Hell ... I doubt they that are those there themselves knows it anymore ...

~

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hacktorp said:

In this instance, 4 separate attacks were conducted using a pair of F-16s along with twin A10 support planes.  Hardly a case of a single confused pilot...try harder.

Fog of war. And yes it could of Been the case of one guy who acquired the target markers, but this was a case of the Russians not telling the Americans that no that's not ISIS u till it was to late.

things happen in war, especially in such a confusing cluster **** as what is going on in Syria.

Edited by Thanato

8 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Well, it's not like the US couldn't drop a call to Moscow and inquire about it. Anyone who follows this conflict knows that Syrian troops are operating in the Deir Ezzor area against ISIS. I'm not sure why they would start dropping bombs there without some sort of coordination.

They didn't need to call Moscow, they contacted the local Russian command and they didn't get back to them until after the attack had started.

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Those 'rebels' we support are Alquaeda, Al Nusra and ISIS , AKA terrorists. Who the US bombed are regular military who happened to be fighting against ISIS who used the air support as cover for attacking. Pretty big difference.

• Like 1