Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Early Cats Traveled with Vikings and Farmers

Claire.

Early Cats Traveled with Vikings and Farmers

The early origins of domesticated cats are shrouded in mystery, but a new genetic analysis suggests that felines traveled the world with farmers and Vikings.

The News section of Nature reports that the broadest genetic analysis to date of ancient cats reveals two waves of cat expansion. In the first wave, cats spread from the Middle East into the eastern Mediterranean, alongside human farmers. The second wave of expansion started in Egypt — where cats had religious significance and were often mummified — and spread by sea to Eurasia and Africa.

These discoveries come courtesy a study of the mitochondrial DNA of 209 ancient cats whose remains were preserved at archaeological sites. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down through the maternal line and is separate from the nuclear DNA that comes from both parents.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 7

Ok, now I know better. Its the vikings and the farmers who are responsible for my damn cat allergy.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, toast said:

Ok, now I know better. Its the vikings and the farmers who are responsible for my damn cat allergy.

You can thank your parents for that one, I thank mine daily for the multitude of allergies they passed onto me as well.

Image result for viking cat

• Like 6

Obviously our feline overlords forced their human slaves to migrate and travel so they could fulfill their desire for total world and internet domination.

• Like 5

Good.  Two of my favorite things are combining their power.

• Like 5

What an odd couple !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Clair said:

Actual true to life depiction of the formidable Viking cats. Honest.

T2hjrnS.jpg?1

Thorvir's next avatar methinks...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...