Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking warns Aliens will colonize earth

seeder

Perhaps a high-tech civilization would include all that that civilization would need. It would be a paradise constructed to fulfill the needs of that species. If so, what advantage would there be for them to travel anywhere else?

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Hopefully you were laughing at yourself. I disagree with Frank on a great many things--but still respect his intelligence.

No, I'm not, I'm laughing at your naivety.  I don't respect Frank's intelligence, don't respect him at all, he's been shown to be a fraud when it comes to certain things (which are not relevant to this thread) and tends to make up stuff as he types when propping up an argument, instead of actually researching before he posts.  I'm sure he's smart, but doesn't display good common sense with his claims and postings.  In addition, going to Harvard doesn't make anyone more intellectually superior to anyone else--that is an insulting claim to make, especially when smarter people can't get into Harvard because of time or money.  But, experience trumps schooling at all times, and it's how one uses what is learned in the real world.  Huge difference.

That's it, I'm not going into him any further, as I don't want to make this personal about Frank any further and he has nothing to do with this thread.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Black Monk said:

I bet the Australian Aborigines and the North American Red Indians and the Africans all thought that if there are far more advanced human societies out there somewhere then they wouldn't be interested in landing on their shores - in their vast, hi-tech ships and with hi-tech weaponry and other technology far more advanced than anything they themselves have - because they wouldn't care about and not want to bother communicating with such a primitive people.

But then the British and the French and other empire-building Europeans DID turn up...

You bet, do you?  I bet you don't really want to bet.

Your analogy isn't at all appropriate.

An Avatar-like project is not economically feasible. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

As Habitat said, the radio noise is crawling out there at light speed and will take millions of years to get anywhere.  Besides, even now it is so attenuated (reverse square law) that it would take dedicated equipment aimed specially at us to detect it.

Some of the most powerful and directed continuous transmitters on Earth is the BMEWS (Ballistic Missile Early Warning System) will reach maybe about 200 light years before they are buried on the noise and basically not discernible. And it, naturally, doesn't help they do frequency hopping for counter jamming 

17 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

<snip>

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 8:27 PM, Frank Merton said:

I can't think of any topic active on this board that is anything other than "refurbished nonsense."  Maybe some of us enjoy beating dead horses.

I found that there used to be in the UFO/ET section, some years back there were actually good discussions on technical questions (physics, radar systems, military capabilities, etc.) and issues regarding ET visitation but I think that through the best evidence threads and similar we basically got through all the highly exposed cases as well as a huge amount of not very exposed cases and in every single case there was either a scientific explanation or not enough data to reach any conclusion at all. In the process a few of the higher profile UFO equals ET visitation proponents stopped by to argue their case - not in a single instance did it go well for them and to the best of my recollection none stuck around for very long. But those discussions I found good, productive and educative.

When that is said, I am not really a history buff, so while I enjoy reading the posts in the alternative history section, I can't really contribute and I must admit that I have a hard time gauging whether topics/posts there constitute "refurbished nonsense." The rest of UM I do not really contribute to I must admit.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
Missing word.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, badeskov said:

I found that there used to be in the UFO/ET section, some years back there were actually good discussions on technical questions (physics, radar systems, military capabilities, etc.) and issues regarding ET visitation but I think that through the best evidence threads and similar we basically got through all the highly exposed cases as well as a huge amount of not very exposed cases and in every single case there was either a scientific explanation or not enough data to reach any conclusion at all. In the process a few of the higher profile UFO equals ET visitation proponents stopped by to argue their case - not in a single instance did it go well for them and to the best of my recollection none stuck around for very long. But those discussions I found good, productive and educative.

When that is said, I am not really a history buff, so while I enjoy reading the posts in the alternative history section, I can't really contribute and I must admit that I have a hard time gauging whether topics/posts there constitute "refurbished nonsense." The rest of UM I do not really contribute to I must admit.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Apparently my time ran out while editing the above, so I will add some links to the Best Evidence threads here as I feel they deserve it:

Best Evidence thread I
Best Evidence thread II
Best Evidence thread III

Frankly, I found that there were some really good discussions in those threads.

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If you really want to put a sci-fi spin on it. Who's to say that they travel distance? What if they travel time? Where they can jump from one point in space to another in seconds. 

Futurama :D The engine of the planet express ship does not move the ship but instead moves the universe around the ship and the ship can be considered stationary. :w00t: 

Funny enough when I read your post it was in Rick's voice in my head......

Not sure what happens of two such engines operate at once though........

Futurama-Fry.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Futurama :D The engine of the planet express ship does not move the ship but instead moves the universe around the ship and the ship can be considered stationary. :w00t: 

Funny enough when I read your post it was in Rick's voice in my head......

Not sure what happens of two such engines operate at once though........

Futurama-Fry.jpg

According to the great Douglas Noel Adams the fastest spaceships ever made were powered by bad news, the fastest thing there is, but since they were extremely unwelcome anywhere they went the idea was abandoned. :P

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

According to the great Douglas Noel Adams the fastest spaceships ever made were powered by bad news, the fastest thing there is, but since they were extremely unwelcome anywhere they went the idea was abandoned. :P

I am not going to be the one to tell Han that.

8645abb3119f5459dfe69298ea260bb1.jpg

• Like 4

Sure their rides might be cooler, but this guy got there first. 

7137.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

7137.jpg

I am STILL not going to be the one to tell Han though ........

Any takers?

vxmev.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/25/2016 at 10:10 PM, psyche101 said:

Volcanoes weakened a diminishing population, and there is a pretty big hole just south of Murica that sees to coincide with geological layers fairly accurately, and the last Dino fossils. After the big hole was made, no more Dinosaurs in the geological layers.

Seems legit. 

I agree, but it definitely doesnt coincide with the last of the fossils only the thinning of them. Its not quite the same as us actually knowing the history of the incident or who was or wasn't there. Nice try but your reference to a popular theory is hardly relevant to the point i made.

Edited by Nnicolette

On 9/27/2016 at 10:55 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

7137.jpg

Well, if alien abductions have occurred ( not saying they have !), then Yuri and Valentina may not have been the first man and woman to leave the Earth ! I doubt they'd be voluntary participants though, if it has actually happened, and there is no way to rebut it as a possibility.

38 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I agree,

It does not sound like you do to be perfectly honest.

but it definitely doesnt coincide with the last of the fossils only the thinning of them.

Yes it does, there are a few examples found after the event in only a few places in the world. That so much diversity remained up until that event shows it definitely had a major impact on all life on earth and that it was the death knell for Dinosaurs. The diversity seems to indicate the the Deccan Traps were not directly responsible fort an overall extinction, which well preceded the KT event. What hose find did was extend the duration of the extinction, while most educated guesses were suspecting 65-68 million years ago, this moves that to 64.8-68 million years ago. Significant to sceince sure. but not so much to the most likely theories gleaned form that very information. 

Its not quite the same as us actually knowing the history of the incident or who was or wasn't there. Nice try but your reference to a popular theory is hardly relevant to the point i made.

I do not see how, it does address it, there are some Hadrosaurs that well survived the KT event. What that tells me is some pockets of vegetation managed to escape the world wide catastrophe, not that it dents the "popular theory". Nice try, but I do not see how we are not back at square one, there is no reason to consider that the KT event was the final blow for the Dinosaurs. Speculation is fine, but it is steered by fact. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

It does not sound like you do to be perfectly honest.

Yes it does, there are a few examples found after the event in only a few places in the world. That so much diversity remained up until that event shows it definitely had a major impact on all life on earth and that it was the death knell for Dinosaurs. The diversity seems to indicate the the Deccan Traps were not directly responsible fort an overall extinction, which well preceded the KT event. What hose find did was extend the duration of the extinction, while most educated guesses were suspecting 65-68 million years ago, this moves that to 64.8-68 million years ago. Significant to sceince sure. but not so much to the most likely theories gleaned form that very information. 

I do not see how, it does address it, there are some Hadrosaurs that well survived the KT event. What that tells me is some pockets of vegetation managed to escape the world wide catastrophe, not that it dents the "popular theory". Nice try, but I do not see how we are not back at square one, there is no reason to consider that the KT event was the final blow for the Dinosaurs. Speculation is fine, but it is steered by fact. 

Once again... Cute little argument but you flat out missed the point of the original statement in its entirety as usual.

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

Once again... Cute little argument but you flat out missed the point of the original statement in its entirety as usual.

Ohh cute argument because I am a cute Aussie!! What do you expect?

No, I "got" your argument, I think you are missing why it is not valuable, either that or you are crap at getting your point across.

The KT boundary gives us fossils, the geographical layers give us the time lines, we do know where and when the Dinosaurs went, and how the Hadrosaurs diminished gradually, but there are no alien Coke Cans or Alien empty Chip Packets in the KT boundaries, or any other geological layer either. Sure, perhaps a very neat species of Alien might have set foot on earth in the distant past and marvelled at Dinosaurs or something, but according to evidence we have, so might have a giant pink Unicorn, point is there is no good reason to consider that option with the evidence we do have. 

• Like 1

so... Hawking says Aliens will colonize us...

Now.... if WE went to another planet...we'd be aliens right?

so.... Hawking ALSO  says....if MAN is to survive....we must leave Earth and colonize some other planet, ....

so its a huge game of musical chairs in the Universe !!

Stephen Hawking: Humanity Must Colonize Space to Survive

Famed British cosmologist Stephen Hawking sees only one way for humanity to survive the next millennium: colonize space. And he's probably right.

In a lecture Tuesday in Los Angles, the 71-year-old Stephen Hawking said humanity would likely not survive another 1,000 years "without escaping beyond our fragile planet," according to the Associated Press.  Hawking has long been an advocate of space exploration as a way to ensure humanity's survival. Living on a single planet leaves us at risk of self-annihilation through war or accidents, or a cosmic catastrophe like an asteroid strike.

http://www.space.com/20657-stephen-hawking-humanity-survival-space.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seeder said:

so... Hawking says Aliens will colonize us...

I think they missed their chance.

Now.... if WE went to another planet...we'd be aliens right?

Yes.  We will bring peace and prosperity to the natives of all other planets. :P 

so.... Hawking ALSO  says....if MAN is to survive....we must leave Earth and colonize some other planet, ....

so its a huge game of musical chairs in the Universe !!

"Do as I say, do not do as I do".  I respect Hawking for his achievements and his intelligence.  That does not mean I think he's always right.  All of us have a bit of hypocrisy in them.

• Like 2

I don't see the point of colonizing other planets because we'll just make a mess of them as we have of the Earth.

1 hour ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

"Do as I say, do not do as I do".  I respect Hawking for his achievements and his intelligence.  That does not mean I think he's always right.  All of us have a bit of hypocrisy in them.

IF we last, and that may be a big IF, then we have no choice but to leave the planet eventually, and with how vast space is, getting started sooner rather than later might not be all that bad an idea, we will have many failures amongst the few successes. The Sun will swallow the earth in 5 billion years, but it will be uninhabitable quite some time before that. 

Solar_Life_Cycle.svg_-600x148.png

• Increased temperatures cause increased atmospheric water vapour – a greenhouse gas, the presence of which further increases surface temperatures.
  • For the next billion years or so this might increase cloud cover, cooling temperatures modestly.
  • Eventually more energy from the Sun will win out, and higher temperatures lead to increased weathering of silicate rocks, drawing down more carbon from the atmosphere.
  • Carbon is normally recycled though plate tectonics; however, increasing water loss eventually halts plate tectonics.
  • Once carbon dioxide levels drop below this value, higher plants will begin to die off.
  • This in turn decreases oxygen production, which, with continued consumption by biota and by oxidation of organic carbon in sedimentary rocks, leads to a steady decline in atmospheric oxygen to zero over a few million years.
  • The end of animal life would occur a few million years after the end of plant life.
  • Large endotherms (mammals, birds) would likely be the first group to become extinct due to their higher oxygen requirements.
  • Fish, amphibians, reptiles would be able to survive for longer, but eventually the oceans will evaporate.
  • The last life on Earth, in about 2.8 billion years, will be single-celled, heat-loving organisms in isolated pools of hot, salty water. - Essentially back to square one. And it keeps going.............

LINK

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

I don't see the point of colonizing other planets because we'll just make a mess of them as we have of the Earth.

Well, I pick up after myself, so I am going anyways......

• Like 2

I'm all for voyaging to other habitable planets, but the survival timeline on them will be much the same as on the Earth. No star lasts forever. If we say the Earth will be habitable for another million years, that's a very long time. I'm not convinced humans will survive for a million years on any planet.

We may think our technological civilization we have now will continue to advance and continue into some bright future. Probably the Romans thought so, and citizens of all the other civilizations that have perished throughout history thought so, too.

What human civilization will be like in just one hundred years in the future is difficult to predict, let alone five hundred years, a thousand years. We may think we have the game finally beat, but I'm not convinced.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I'm all for voyaging to other habitable planets, but the survival timeline on them will be much the same as on the Earth. No star lasts forever. If we say the Earth will be habitable for another million years, that's a very long time. I'm not convinced humans will survive for a million years on any planet.

We may think we have the game finally beat, but I'm not convinced.  

You dont have to be convinced. YOU....like me, like everyone on this forum right now......wont be around in 100 years. So it doesnt matter how you see it, nor how I see it, nor how the best brains on the planet see it.......what matters is how the future humans, say in 500 years, or a thousand from now....see it. And they will have the benefit of all future learning.....behind them, so those humans will be smart cookies for sure, they'll know more then..... than any human knows now.... and a million years is a long time on a future planet.... long enough to build even better tech.....bigger ships.....and hop to the next planet... in doing so, humans could...maybe....live forever

Edited by seeder

1 minute ago, seeder said:

You dont have to be convinced. YOU....like me, like everyone on this planet right now......wont be around in 100 years. So it doesnt matter how you see it, nor how I see it, nor how the best brains on the planet see it.......what matters is how the future humans, say in 500 years, or a thousand from now....see it. And they will have the benefit of all future learning.....behind them, so those humans will be smart cookies for sure, they'll know more then..... than any human knows now.... and a million years is a long time on a future planet.... long enough to build even better tech.....bigger ships.....and hop to the next planet... in doing so, humans could...maybe....live forever

I'm not convinced people 500 or 1000 years in the future will be any smarter than we've ever been. Not any smarter in the sense that they'll still be flawed human beings in the same ways as we've always been. Advanced knowledge, greater technology does not mean future humans will be any better at managing their societies. Human psychology will remain the same. 

I don't see any utopia or paradise in our future, just more of the same with better tools.