Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gigantic dinosaur footprint found in Mongolia

UM-Bot

Just the one print? if the soil can preserve it that well, would there not be more? maybe its other foot?
looks like a weird shaped rock.

• Like 2

Its a Titanosaur ... the other foot was 50 meters to the left and the rest 95 meters to the front somewhere ...

~

• Like 1

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Its a Titanosaur ... the other foot was 50 meters to the left and the rest 95 meters to the front somewhere ...

~

Meters?  :o

Perhaps that is just a very small paleontologist?

proxy.jpg?t=HBhnaHR0cDovL3MxLmlidGltZXMu

• Like 4

5 hours ago, smokeycat said:

Meters?  :o

sorry ... I was joshing and exaggerating' ... :lol:

~

• Like 2

Well they are near Godzilla's stomping grounds. Wouldn't take Godzilla too long. A walk and a quick dip and  TOKYO!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, that sounds good. I love giant sauropods. The thing is, when a giant titanosaur fossil is unearthed, this sentence is applied in some of those news ------ ( One of the heaviest dinosaurs to walk the earth, titanosaurs are estimated to have weighed upto 90 tons.)

Many people would want to know about the weight of the newly discovered titanosaur but the news of the recently discovered giant titanosaurs usually is mentioned as 'Titanosaurs could weigh upto 90 tons'. Before a year or so, i sent a message to a paleontologist about the newly discovered giant titanosaur at that time and he replied that it's surprising that the article doesn't say anything about the newly discovered sauropod weight but rather saying that titanosaurs are a group of dinosaurs that weigh upto 90 tons.)

I wonder if i will ever hear the news about a 100 + ton sauropod before i die. Seems like it may not be possible in my lifetime.

Edited by Sameerr

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jarjarbinks said:

Why creatures were so BIG back then and were so small now ?

Because they could be is the short answer. As facetious as it sounds, it's actually quite true.

There are fundamental differences in physiology between mammals and dinosaurs, which mean they could get much bigger than us. Obviously though that's only on land, once we become neutrally buoyant, as in whales, we beat them hands down.  

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

Because they could be is the short answer. As facetious as it sounds, it's actually quite true.

There are fundamental differences in physiology between mammals and dinosaurs, which mean they could get much bigger than us. Obviously though that's only on land, once we become neutrally buoyant, as in whales, we beat them hands down.  

Why plants were that big, birds were that big, fish, sharks were that big, dinosaurs were that big ?

now everything is smaller ? 

2 hours ago, jarjarbinks said:

Why plants were that big, birds were that big, fish, sharks were that big, dinosaurs were that big ?

now everything is smaller ? 

No, it isn't, where are you getting that information from? The largest animals ever to have lived are alive now. As are the largest plants. 

It's true that some groups of plants got bigger in the Mesozoic than they do now, but there are other modern species that are larger. 

I think the biggest ancient fish was leedsichthys, which was big, but nothing like as vast as is sometimes claimed. In fact its maximum was probably around 50ft. Today, the whale shark tops out at around 40. Smaller, but not by that much. And not as much as some sources claim. 

The biggest birds, both flighted and flightless were from the Tertiary, not the Mesozoic. As were the largest sharks. 

Leaving birds to one side for a moment, as you say, the non avian (not quite the right term) dinosaurs, did get bigger than any other land animal though. But, there are bio-mechanical reasons that allowed them to do this. The only large truly terrestrial animals today are mammals, and their (our) physiology prevents up from reaching that sort of size.