Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toyota unveils new miniature companion robot


UM-Bot

Recommended Posts

 

a machine cannot provide companionship, it cant show love or affection, Lilly is right....go to the animal rescue center and give a homeless animal a loving home and you will gain real companionship and a best friend,

Toyota wants to stick to making underpowerd electric eyesores!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

a machine cannot provide companionship, it cant show love or affection, Lilly is right....go to the animal rescue center and give a homeless animal a loving home and you will gain real companionship and a best friend,

Toyota wants to stick to making underpowerd electric eyesores!

But an animal (especially a dog) requires a bit of commitment,  a robot doesn't. 

You wanna play, you turn it on,  you've had enough, you turn it off. 

With a dog you can't. 

And you still need to scoop the poop. 

 

That's why sadly this tamagotchi 5.0 will succeed. 

 

By the way,  wonderful way to place a cute little Troyan horse (or Toyotan robot?) in your house. 

 

And all this only for 400 Dollars. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Parsec said:

But an animal (especially a dog) requires a bit of commitment,  a robot doesn't. 

You wanna play, you turn it on,  you've had enough, you turn it off. 

With a dog you can't. 

And you still need to scoop the poop. 

 

That's why sadly this tamagotchi 5.0 will succeed. 

 

By the way,  wonderful way to place a cute little Troyan horse (or Toyotan robot?) in your house. 

 

And all this only for 400 Dollars. 

400 bucks to be used on Christmas morning then left in the toy box untill the room gets cleared when the kids go to college. 

This will be a flash in the pan next year there will be a robotic parrot that connects to your smart phone so you can talk through it on your shoulder

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

400 bucks to be used on Christmas morning then left in the toy box untill the room gets cleared when the kids go to college. 

This will be a flash in the pan next year there will be a robotic parrot that connects to your smart phone so you can talk through it on your shoulder

Will it be equipped with a guano dispenser? 

It's not a real parrot robot if it doesn't mark it's territory (=your shoulder). 

Or your friends' hats.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

400 bucks to be used on Christmas morning then left in the toy box untill the room gets cleared when the kids go to college. 

This will be a flash in the pan next year there will be a robotic parrot that connects to your smart phone so you can talk through it on your shoulder

On a more serious note,  bear in mind that there are a lot of lonely people (especially in Japan),  so I reckon the real focus here is not families with children, but who doesn't have a family at all. 

And Toyota knows its market. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Parsec said:

On a more serious note,  bear in mind that there are a lot of lonely people (especially in Japan),  so I reckon the real focus here is not families with children, but who doesn't have a family at all. 

And Toyota knows its market. 

Its going to be a sad world if this is sign of the future

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

Its going to be a sad world if this is sign of the future

 

It's one possible sad futures.  Just look at how superficial much human contact has gotten.  Our forum here is an example.  30 years ago they would have thought us sub-human.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why this is a sad future.  If an equivalent intellect to a biological organism is attained then I don't see how that AI would be any different than the same in biology.  The real question is can such an intellect gain emotional thought.  In fact, what is emotion?  Is it just a complex association of intellectual stimulus?  Is there something more "magical" to it than that?  If not magic, then I think this type of device not sad but quite the opposite.

Edited by Noxasa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Noxasa said:

I'm not sure why this is a sad future.  If an equivalent intellect to a biological organism is attained then I don't see how that AI would be any different than the same in biology.  The real question is can such an intellect gain emotional thought.  In fact, what is emotion?  Is it just a complex association of intellectual stimulus?  Is there something more "magical" to it than that?  If not magic, then I think this type of device not sad but quite the opposite.

If a human finds themself in a situation where they need to buy companionship in the form of a small child like robot ......then the world is a far darker place than even i ever imagined 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

The Japanese are different. Take a look at the "boyfriend pillow"........

 

Image result for boyfriend pillow japan

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Noxasa said:

I'm not sure why this is a sad future.  If an equivalent intellect to a biological organism is attained then I don't see how that AI would be any different than the same in biology.  The real question is can such an intellect gain emotional thought.  In fact, what is emotion?  Is it just a complex association of intellectual stimulus?  Is there something more "magical" to it than that?  If not magic, then I think this type of device not sad but quite the opposite.

My understanding is that all emotion is hormone driven (sorry, can't give source, just read that somewhere ages ago).  That said, can a robot reproduce emotions as we know them without a hormone trigger?  Perhaps it can be replicated, i wouldn't like to say.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

The Japanese are different. Take a look at the "boyfriend pillow"........

 

Image result for boyfriend pillow japan

Shoot me now..

 

 

 

Meeting someone must be really difficult in Japan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Research argues for a strong social support network and a healthy dose of common sense resilience skills as best methods for dealing with adversity, the uncertainties of life and even suicide. It will be interesting to see the research that follows this cult. But, one has to ask why is simplicity so rarely understood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read recently that most Japanese don't get married, or even date, till later in life... late 30s in many cases. So many younger people don't have kids, or may never have kids. And in the mega city of Tokyo, owning a dog might be a luxury that few can afford. So this robot fills a very real niche.

I find that fact to be really, really, really sad. That society is heading toward a direction where people live singly and have little human contact, outside of their work and their online activities. Humans aren't made to live in that way.

I am both intrigued, and repelled by this robot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Habitat said:

The Japanese are different. Take a look at the "boyfriend pillow"........

 

Image result for boyfriend pillow japan

Hilarious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Drefus offered compelling arguments as to why AI would ultimately be unsuccessful. But Its is disturibing to think companies have observed a gap in the market and are cashing in on companionship.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OverSword said:

"It's one possible sad futures.  Just look at how superficial much human contact has gotten.  Our forum here is an example.  30 years ago they would have thought us sub-human."

I think some of us are based on some of the comments I've seen.  I wonder how many of us are living at their parent's home in the basement.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well at least it is too small to properly hold a proper knife or gun..... :gun:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2016 at 0:48 AM, Susanc241 said:

My understanding is that all emotion is hormone driven (sorry, can't give source, just read that somewhere ages ago).  That said, can a robot reproduce emotions as we know them without a hormone trigger?  Perhaps it can be replicated, i wouldn't like to say.

There are a lot of different hormones that affect our emotions and not in just one direction. Emotions and hormones have a somewhat bidirectional relationship. Emotions trigger hormones and hormones can affect emotions. For example, feelings of fear lead to a production of cortisol which is a stress hormone that heightens our state or arousal and prepares the body to be able to mobilize energy. Additionally, low levels of testosterone and estrogen can lead to or increase feelings of depression.

In terms of Toyota's mini robot, if it can trigger emotions in it's user then hormone release will be stimulated. I can see this happening, for example, if the robot says or does something that causes it's user to remember a particular event or if someone is sad and the robot responds to them. However, hormone release through feelings of emotions in response to the robot most likely depends on the user because not everyone will engage with the robot in the same way. While some people may not care or forget that the robot is responding to them through it's artificial intelligence, others may not be able to get past that and won't be emotionally affected by it.

I know a lot of people find the idea of this robot being used as companion for the lonely unsettling, but it's important to consider it's utility from a cultural perspective. We can't begin to understand why this invention may or may not be important to those in another culture if we judge it's intended use from our own cultural norms. For some, this robot may be that little extra bit of companionship that they need. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KNash said:

There are a lot of different hormones that affect our emotions and not in just one direction. Emotions and hormones have a somewhat bidirectional relationship. Emotions trigger hormones and hormones can affect emotions. For example, feelings of fear lead to a production of cortisol which is a stress hormone that heightens our state or arousal and prepares the body to be able to mobilize energy. Additionally, low levels of testosterone and estrogen can lead to or increase feelings of depression.

In terms of Toyota's mini robot, if it can trigger emotions in it's user then hormone release will be stimulated. I can see this happening, for example, if the robot says or does something that causes it's user to remember a particular event or if someone is sad and the robot responds to them. However, hormone release through feelings of emotions in response to the robot most likely depends on the user because not everyone will engage with the robot in the same way. While some people may not care or forget that the robot is responding to them through it's artificial intelligence, others may not be able to get past that and won't be emotionally affected by it.

I know a lot of people find the idea of this robot being used as companion for the lonely unsettling, but it's important to consider it's utility from a cultural perspective. We can't begin to understand why this invention may or may not be important to those in another culture if we judge it's intended use from our own cultural norms. For some, this robot may be that little extra bit of companionship that they need. :)

Noxasa was talking about the robot generating emotion within itself via its own AI intellect and querying its ability.  My comment was based on his post, that as a robot does not have hormones it can't produce or experience emotion as humans do, not the possibility a robot would induce/arouse emotions in its owner/user.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it would be great for people who are lonely, unwell, and can't take care of a pet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
On 10/3/2016 at 11:27 PM, Lucas Cooper Merrin said:

If a human finds themself in a situation where they need to buy companionship in the form of a small child like robot ......then the world is a far darker place than even i ever imagined 

Then you need to imagine more because buying companionship has existed since the beginning of the human race.  This question is not about buying companionship, an already well accepted human behavior, but it's whether an AI can interact in such a way that that companionship has real value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.