Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did my dad's bad decisions make me vulnurable

Alicein0099

When my dad was a teenager he dabbled in the occult. He used ouija boards and other demonic items. He delved into some dangerous things. He had me a year or so after he stopped doing these, and my whole life I've had strange occurrences happen. My parents say I used to talk to spirits, and I've always been good at feeling the energy of a place. I sometimes feel this pressure, not on my skin but in my body. And I never feel like I'm alone, I always feel like someone is right behind me. I've blocked out a lot of my childhood memories of things but I do remember I used to hear and see a lot of things. I talked to my doctors about it and they think it's psychosis, but that's never felt right to me. No one else in my family claims to feel these things, I'm really confused. And ever since my 17th birthday last month it's gotten a lot worse.

I suggest meditation for the pressure on the body.. You can not only regulate it, but many other aspects of your body.. 

I don't think meditation would be a dangerous experiment coupled with psychosis, just to be on the safe side..

Why would you blame your parents for something you experience? How do you know you've blocked out childhood memories vs simply forgetting details? No one really remembers all of their past with super accuracy, even when it happened to us. Everyone tends to think memory is a black and white thing, but it's far more complicated than we want to think.

• Like 4

I am puzzled by how you know you have blocked out memories. Have people told you about things that occurred in your presence, but you don't recall ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alicein0099 said:

I talked to my doctors about it and they think it's psychosis, but that's never felt right to me.

Never felt right to you...the docs opinion that is?  So you didnt get any confirmation of what YOU THINK is wrong with you so the doctor must be wrong eh?  But if the doc told you that yes....you were being haunted by the things your dad once done....youd be happier right?

In which case youd be no better off then....would you?  Docs are very good, but anti haunting tablets havent been invented so why bother the doc at all? They cant cure everything you know

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alicein0099 said:

When my dad was a teenager he dabbled in the occult. He used ouija boards and other demonic items. He delved into some dangerous things. He had me a year or so after he stopped doing these, and my whole life I've had strange occurrences happen. My parents say I used to talk to spirits, and I've always been good at feeling the energy of a place. I sometimes feel this pressure, not on my skin but in my body. And I never feel like I'm alone, I always feel like someone is right behind me. I've blocked out a lot of my childhood memories of things but I do remember I used to hear and see a lot of things. I talked to my doctors about it and they think it's psychosis, but that's never felt right to me. No one else in my family claims to feel these things, I'm really confused. And ever since my 17th birthday last month it's gotten a lot worse.

People, especially while young, are impressionable. Neither marriage nor parenthood automatically make them more sensible.  So, as I gather your parents started a family while very young, understand that they were very much like you; they, with limited experience and questionable formation, were doing their best to understand and get by in our world.

Therefore, you need to believe, both for their sakes as well as yours, they were trying to live as effectively as possible.  And do credit your father for his having given up on much nonsense a year in advance of taking responsibility for you, which was a manly thing to do.

I understand too well much about which you speak.  Many insist that dredging up a bunch of buried memories is therapeutic, but not for me.  Having taken in the larger picture, it is not the perspective wherefrom I choose to focus on detail.

My appreciation for the sublime obscures much of what, in the interest of forgiveness, I believe better left forgotten.  That may not be the case for those with less faith, but mine, thanks to saintly examples, has been healing in ways often miraculous.  I am grateful for the sense of wellbeing's freeing up so much of my energy to focus on pleasant pastimes-- spiritual, intellectual, creative and, as now, social pursuits, which often overlap.

While all of this isn't to suggest my way is the best, it is to infer the fact that some belief systems and role models are wholesome and, thus, conducive to one's overall state of health.  It is also to credit you for having the sanity to reject unhealthy practices that, in fact, are very dangerous.  Nevertheless, just remember that, while Satan isn't infinitely evil, God is infinitely good.

Seek to know, love and serve Our Lord, and you'll be immune to evil spirits.

0:-) God love you!

P.S. maybe some reading will help.  I can't remember which was my favorite of the books following:

The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose, Touchystone, 2005. ISBN 978-0743265256

A Call to Joy - Living in the Presence of God, Matthew Kelly Foundation, 1999. ISBN 978-1929266005

Edited by aka CAT

They say "history repeats itself". Your father's actions may very well repeat themselves in your life. Where this connection is made I couldn't say but if your father was despised and hated severely you could catch some of his bad tones on the tail end of it. Ever heard of the Capulets and the Montegues? Same sorta thing.

15 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

They say "history repeats itself". Your father's actions may very well repeat themselves in your life. Where this connection is made I couldn't say but if your father was despised and hated severely you could catch some of his bad tones on the tail end of it. Ever heard of the Capulets and the Montegues? Same sorta thing.

If one isn't friendly toward another, their interactions with each other's family members are likely to be strained.  Ordinarily, that doesn't result in a feud, e.g. with the Capulets and the Montegues.  And, insofar as one doesn't live in a caste system, his birth doesn't doom him to be an 'untouchable.'  

Christians don't judge another by some else's actions.

Edited by aka CAT

On 10/5/2016 at 2:57 PM, aka CAT said:

If one isn't friendly toward another, their interactions with each other's family members are likely to be strained.  Ordinarily, that doesn't result in a feud, e.g. with the Capulets and the Montegues.  And, insofar as one doesn't live in a caste system, his birth doesn't doom him to be an 'untouchable.'  

Christians don't judge another by some else's actions.

I wasn't referring to Christmas. If he isn't mentally unstable then perhaps there is indeed a "radio frequency connection" in his brain with what he interprets as "spirits" this "electro-magnetic phenomenon" could be real but it's all conjecture right now. We need proof of his beliefs.

Your own psyche is what's making you vulnerable. We all have subconscious fears that are really beyond our control. Even if we think that we don't believe in <fill in the blank with scary thing>, we may on a subconscious level. So you need to do whatever it is that you firmly believe will help you.

Disclaimer: There is, of course, the possibility that you actually need psychiatric help...but...there are some people who just have a problem that can be solved in other ways. A lot of people see a therapist as well as utilize spiritual solutions. There's no shame in seeking help if you need it.

Like Lon Milo DuQuette says...it's all in  your head...you just don't have any idea how big your head is. 

• Like 1