Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

ExoMars spacecraft is nearing its destination

7 posts in this topic

Gecks

7 months to mars doesnt seem to be a bad effort time wise. If this was a larger vessel with human occupants would the same time frame be achievable? Or would a larger vessel take considerably more time?

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, Gecks said:

7 months to mars doesnt seem to be a bad effort time wise. If this was a larger vessel with human occupants would the same time frame be achievable? Or would a larger vessel take considerably more time?

The time would be about the same for a manned mission. The reason is that the trip time is set by orbital mechanics and those are the same regardless of the size of a spacecraft. The majority of spacecrafts use something called Hohmann orbits. Such orbits use the least fuel, but they also means rather long flight times.

There are possible ways to cut the times, but they all require a lot more energy. More energy means more fuel, more fuel means more mass and more mass means higher cost. In the end cost is the determining factor.

• Like 1

Gecks
1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The time would be about the same for a manned mission. The reason is that the trip time is set by orbital mechanics and those are the same regardless of the size of a spacecraft. The majority of spacecrafts use something called Hohmann orbits. Such orbits use the least fuel, but they also means rather long flight times.

There are possible ways to cut the times, but they all require a lot more energy. More energy means more fuel, more fuel means more mass and more mass means higher cost. In the end cost is the determining factor.

Great explenation, thank you!

Everything undertaken in this world is subject to cost....  it would be great to see how far we could go with some of these endeavors if money wasn't an option. 

Zalmoxis

That is great.

Athena1979

I'm excited that the reality of these probes and test will give us the greater possibility of having humans land on Mars. I could be a witness to this historic event as others before me, were witness to the moon landing. I just have to live long enough. :)

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
21 hours ago, Gecks said:

Great explenation, thank you!

Everything undertaken in this world is subject to cost....  it would be great to see how far we could go with some of these endeavors if money wasn't an option. 

Glad to help.  

The thing is that the money is there, if we really want to do it. A manned Mars mission would probably cost around 10 billion $ a year (the SLS launcher is allready being funded) and, as an example, the US defence budget alone is  around 600 billion $ a year. This means that less than 2 % of the US defence budget could fund a manned Mars mission. I guess it is a question of priorities.  

7 minutes ago, Athena1979 said:

I'm excited that the reality of these probes and test will give us the greater possibility of having humans land on Mars. I could be a witness to this historic event as others before me, were witness to the moon landing. I just have to live long enough. :)

I hope to see it too. Like you I am too young to have experienced the Apollo landings. (The last one took place the year before I was born)

• Like 1