Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama aims to send humans to Mars by 2030s

UM-Bot

Could we club together so that he, and the two current candidates to replace him, are the first to go? Just imagine Barry, Donald and Hillary in a pod together for years on end. What a happy thought that is.

• Like 4

The 2016 budget year begins Oct. 1, 2015. "Today, President Obama is proposing an additional $18.5 billion for NASA, building on the significant investments the administration has made in America's space program over the past six years," Bolden said. "NASA is firmly on a journey to Mars.

Oh really ! Obama did that  ? 

Good News! Good to hear everything is moving forward.

wouldn't be much of a race.  the government can tell elon musk not to go.

The Gubmint might send Elon Musk to Mars !

6 minutes ago, danielost said:

If they did, he might offer his services to another government. In that case perhaps Lichtenstein or some similarly tiny country will be the first nation to send people to Mars.  

wasn't a private company supposed to send people to mars by 2020.  what happened to them.

They couldn't build a space module big enough for all the people that wanted to go ...

~

1 hour ago, Derek Willis said:

If they did, he might offer his services to another government. In that case perhaps Lichtenstein or some similarly tiny country will be the first nation to send people to Mars.  

No chance, the funding won't exist.

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

No chance, the funding won't exist.

There's a lot of money hidden in Lichtenstein! In any case, I wasn't really being serious about there being a space race between NASA and Elon Musk. My apologies if people thought I was.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danielost said:

wasn't a private company supposed to send people to mars by 2020.  what happened to them.

This lot? 

http://www.mars-one.com/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, danielost said:

Could they do that? The US Government certainly believes that it owns Space as well as the entire planet Earth, but I'm sure (for example) the Russkies, or the Chinese, or indeed whatever European countries may have broken away from the EU and its obedient subservience to America by then, might be happy to give him the facilities. 

• Like 1

Mayhaps the condition of Space Brain may be contagious ...

~

• Like 1

Obama is not sending anyone anywhere as he'll not be in charge.  Who knows what Hilary or "The Donald" will do.  And based on what's been going on can we have a viable third choice?

2 hours ago, danielost said:

they won't be in charge in 2030.

Kennedy wasn't in charge in 1969, it was still his plans to land a man on the Moon that were carried out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, danielost said:

yes, and they barely made the deadline he set.

And how arbitrary that deadline was. And dare I say it, without von Braun, probably does not happen. 400,000 people worked on that, anyone who believes some stripped down, economy conscious manned Mars mission is going to work,  has rocks, possibly moon rocks, in their head. Optimism is good, realism is better. Unmanned exploration is the only thing that makes sense for now, what exactly did sending men to the moon achieve, that unmanned lunar exploration, could not ? Not enough to justify the expense, I'd say.

Edited by Habitat

13 minutes ago, Habitat said:

And how arbitrary that deadline was. And dare I say it, without von Braun, probably does not happen. 400,000 people worked on that, anyone who believes some stripped down, economy conscious manned Mars mission is going to work,  has rocks, possibly moon rocks, in their head. Optimism is good, realism is better. Unmanned exploration is the only thing that makes sense for now, what exactly did sending men to the moon achieve, that unmanned lunar exploration, could not ? Not enough to justify the expense, I'd say.

it proved man can survive in space.  think of all the tech we got from it.  like the mri.  which we would not have without the space program.

Every once in a while, you hear an idiot (i mean an educated idiot) taking about a great enterprise with a time frame based on his/her own life expectancy, and not based in facts or projections.

On 10/14/2016 at 1:09 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Kennedy wasn't in charge in 1969, it was still his plans to land a man on the Moon that were carried out.

Well, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's guaranteed that any successive administration will continue the policy, does it? One of the first things Pres. O himself did was cancel the existing programs for manned launch vehicles. Apollo was a unique case since it was a prestige project. LBJ may have been creepy, but he understood the importance of carrying it on, and Nixon came into office far too late to cancel if he'd wanted to. Yes, the first manned mission to Mars might be a project of equal significance, but Governments now are never able to see beyond the next election and they can't be bothered committing to long-term projects if they don'[t think there'd be any immediate electoral benefit to them. I mean, Dick Nixon probably gets the credit in many people's minds for the whole achievement, since he was in office when it happened. No President or would-be President now is going to want to hand that much prestige to any possible successor are they.

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin
  • Like 1