Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Discovers New Type Of Earthquake

seeder

Scientists in California just discovered a new type of earthquake

Researchers in southern California have discovered a new type of earthquake that can occur a lot deeper than expected - more than 24 km (15 miles) deep, in Earth's upper mantle.

This new type of earthquake can't be detected by traditional seismic sensors, and has the potential to make quakes much more destructive than previously predicted.

http://www.sciencealert.com/californian-earthquakes-can-strike-a-lot-deeper-than-scientists-ever-expected

• Like 3

I guess the good news is they might be harmless, we do not know enough as to if we should panic or not yet.

From the link:

But right now, the researchers know very little about this new type of deep earthquake, and although they worry it could make earthquakes more severe, they admit that these deep earthquakes could also just be small, localised 'chatter' that don't link up with each other, so wouldn't affect quakes closer to the surface.

Maybe we should just panic anyway, to make sure we have all bases covered.

JMYuVPyK5GCfH7mzGODz6RItfcjCtG6djVLjpMQ7

• Like 6

I am not sure new type is quite right, newly discovered type yes, and for sure = new equipment to monitor these are now needed . Maybe in other parts of the world too.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4

I don't really get, how this is a new type of earthquake. Its just a normal earthquake that happened 15 miles below ground.

• Like 2

So the plates are adjusting themselves before they adjust above.  Maybe we'll be able to predict and get ready for the "Big one" in California

• Like 1

If it helps pushing for new research on what lies beneath Earth's crust,  it's a welcome news! 

Otherwise, as already posted by others,  it's not something new that didn't exist before yesterday, we just weren't aware of it before yesterday. 

So they have always been at work,  wether we knew it or not and presumably earthquakes will keep behaving like they always did. 

But sensationalism and inducing panic pays.

Edited by Parsec
Typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MissJatti said:

I don't really get, how this is a new type of earthquake. Its just a normal earthquake that happened 15 miles below ground.

We did not realise that there might be so much force that drives so deep, so bigger force - more damage. But, as it says, we are not sure if that correlation is valid yet. It might mean nothing after all. 

Good to see breakthroughs in this field, hopefully it will lead to earlier detection methods as others have mentioned. 

• Like 1

No news here.  Scientists have been working in labs to discover a new type of tidal wave for years.  Now that would be news.  Maybe even a new type of fire.

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 1:43 AM, paperdyer said:

So the plates are adjusting themselves before they adjust above.  Maybe we'll be able to predict and get ready for the "Big one" in California

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 0:21 PM, seeder said:

At present, it can be verified through repeated experiments that there are only two types of earthquake: gases explosion and meteoritic impact

4 hours ago, sgroclkc said:

At present, it can be verified through repeated experiments that there are only two types of earthquake: gases explosion and meteoritic impact

Didn't you post this nonsense before? Oh yes, you did - in your very own thread just a little further down on this very page.

At present, it can be verified through repeated experiments that there are only two causes of earthquake: gases explosion and meteoritic impact while all the big earthquakes are the same as volcano gases explosion but different from the earthquakes caused by meteoritic impact. Therefore, all the big earthquakes are caused by volcano gases explosion instead of meteoritic impact.The current popular speculation that plate fractures are caused by earthquakes has not been verified by repeated experiments, but it is promoted by earthquake scientists around the world as a scientific theory, which is an amazing scientific hoax

The thread you abandoned when some knowledgeable posters with actual experience in the field explained your mistakes, yet here you are again. Mind boggling.

Cheers,
Badeskov 

Edited by badeskov
Missing word
  • Like 4

Seismologists starting earthquakes kidding but I thought there was an article at some site on that, hate that I can't find it. OH WELL! probably just swag(scientific wild a$s guess) web site or some nutjob site hey it could be a moon god you never know.  I Liked the assimilated simulations in programming  coffee screen smiley "HEY! that's not right, backwards HA! Lets see a little here some there, add another param, yes a high var here, whew , think the prof will buy it? I don't know but greengore would."

Holy Dino.