Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creationism Invades Europe

Claire.

“This is outrageous!” Red-faced and visibly agitated, the 60-something was darting toward a hyperrealistic silicone reconstruction of Lucy, the world-famous, 3.2-million-year-old Australopithecus afarensis. After a highly confused couple of minutes it emerged that the man was operating within a 6,000-year biblical time frame. But he did not object to the evolutionary age of Lucy. He objected to her nakedness. “You have to cover her up! It’s almost as bad as going to the beach!”

Lucy is one of the star attractions on the Evolution Stairs in the central hall at Moesgaard Museum in Denmark. The new attraction had just opened, boosting annual visitor numbers from tens of thousands at the museum to a whopping 500,000 in the first year. Great care had been taken in giving the scientific reconstructions individual expressions, making them stand out as persons, not just distant evolutionary relatives.

And there she was—dark and furry, standing one meter tall, with a confident air. The visiting creationist never saw the ape in her, though. He only saw her naked body. Deep time mattered less than morals. The exhibition worked.

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 5

Oh great. 

We used to admire you guys for your reason. Then there was Brexit. Now this. 

What the heck is happening to the world?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh great. 

Maybe we just decided to stop trying to get along. We seem too interested in demeaning our neighbor rather than try to lift him up.  When we separate into enough groups we eventually need to fight it out.  It's been about 70 years since the last one.  The trouble is that the species isn't apt to survive the next one.  Take this piece for example.  It seems to treat the person who believes in  a Creator, as a problem for the world in general.  Why is that necessary? This guy was just acting within his moral framework and caused no one any real problem. I think that the science speaks for itself and if there is a substantial percentage of people who reject it then that is their right, correct?  Their beliefs do not make them less valuable as tax payers or citizens, does it?  Why is it necessary to hound them from our midst?  And make no mistake, if the scientific community at large had the power they would attempt just that.  Criminalizing speech always leads to a bad situation.

• Like 3

The containment protocols are failing! Creationism is escaping and infesting the rest of the world. Clearly America needs to be quarantined. Maybe we should build a wall...and make America pay for it!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Podo said:

The containment protocols are failing! Creationism is escaping and infesting the rest of the world. Clearly America needs to be quarantined. Maybe we should build a wall...and make America pay for it!

that's a good 'un that is ....

:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh great. 

Favourite post for a while. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2016 at 0:47 PM, and then said:

Maybe we just decided to stop trying to get along. We seem too interested in demeaning our neighbor rather than try to lift him up.  When we separate into enough groups we eventually need to fight it out.  It's been about 70 years since the last one.  The trouble is that the species isn't apt to survive the next one.  Take this piece for example.  It seems to treat the person who believes in  a Creator, as a problem for the world in general.  Why is that necessary? This guy was just acting within his moral framework and caused no one any real problem. I think that the science speaks for itself and if there is a substantial percentage of people who reject it then that is their right, correct?  Their beliefs do not make them less valuable as tax payers or citizens, does it?  Why is it necessary to hound them from our midst?  And make no mistake, if the scientific community at large had the power they would attempt just that.  Criminalizing speech always leads to a bad situation.

How about if an Atheist goes to a church service then starts yelling about the display of torture? Is he acting within his moral framework?  

I say no. The hypothetical Atheist is acting in a compulsory manner, and not thinking things through just like the museum guy. 

The Bible predicts days like these so it must be true.

lucy.jpg

• Like 3

I just predicted (or maybe God Told me?) this the other day in one of the religion threads. Most European nations are starting to swing to the right. Toward conservatism. And thus toward traditionalist values, which has a high chance of leading those people back into religion. In this case, historically, traditionally, toward Christianity. 

It's just a reaction to the over-liberalization of Europe. These trends swing back and forth over decades. Right now the US is almost balanced, but Europe is trending toward conservatism.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

How about if an Atheist goes to a church service then starts yelling about the display of torture? Is he acting within his moral framework?  

I say no. The hypothetical Atheist is acting in a compulsory manner, and not thinking things through just like the museum guy. 

The Bible predicts days like these so it must be true.

lucy.jpg

so you admit that the museum, paid for with tax payer money, is a church.

On 10/14/2016 at 1:44 AM, Clair said:

“This is outrageous!” Red-faced and visibly agitated, the 60-something was darting toward a hyperrealistic silicone reconstruction of Lucy, the world-famous, 3.2-million-year-old Australopithecus afarensis. After a highly confused couple of minutes it emerged that the man was operating within a 6,000-year biblical time frame. But he did not object to the evolutionary age of Lucy. He objected to her nakedness. “You have to cover her up! It’s almost as bad as going to the beach!”

Lucy is one of the star attractions on the Evolution Stairs in the central hall at Moesgaard Museum in Denmark. The new attraction had just opened, boosting annual visitor numbers from tens of thousands at the museum to a whopping 500,000 in the first year. Great care had been taken in giving the scientific reconstructions individual expressions, making them stand out as persons, not just distant evolutionary relatives.

And there she was—dark and furry, standing one meter tall, with a confident air. The visiting creationist never saw the ape in her, though. He only saw her naked body. Deep time mattered less than morals. The exhibition worked.

Read more: Scientific American

Lets pretend its 2100 and we have virtual reality games so good they look and seem like the real thing.

You're a criminal and your punishment is moral correction by virtual reality. As your correction official I restrain you into a matrix booth, inject you with a substance that deactivates all your memories and then load you into the virtual reality world. We have gone to extraordinary lengths to make sure you never figure out you're inside a matrix booth by creating the virtual reality world and universe with 15 billion years of history and all the trimmings such as evolution. You meet some other offenders inside it who claim the universe isn't as old as you think it is and that its all some elaborate creation to teach us moral perfection. What do they know right?

The moral of the story is you, me, everybody, know nothing about anything except one thing. That we are have having an experience and aren't entitled to comment on it any further than that. Anything could be real. For all you know you may be being manipulated by some kind of evil genius who has totally hood winked you using a matrix booth. Or a super advanced civilization teaching you, its latest citizen, moral perfection before you get released with your freedom into its society.

I would suggest its about moral perfection and events can go totally far-out to teach you it. Even down to you coming back to life after death while being fed some kind of BS story about medical or time travel technology to convince you the world you think you're living in again is still real. You don't get released with your freedom under any circumstances until you are ready.

• Like 1

And yet, it still sounds kinda of like "It doesn't matter if you have proof or logic on your side.  I want to believe that we are here so that I can be morally better, just because."

Addendum: The argument above can also be stretched by the unscrupulous to mean that anyone who does not believe the universe is here to make us morally better must be morally degenerate.

• Like 2

that would be judging people and the bible says not to do that.  if however you constantially prove yourself immoral, we can make that judgement.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

Don't do what the bible tells you not to do, unless you can do it, huh?

Sounds about like what I normally hear from the Bible belt.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.

-Susan B. Anthony

• Like 1

Just now, danielost said:

you have to judge a little to stay out of trouble yourself.

Still making it up as you go along I see.

• Like 1

nope.  an idea of judgement.  i judge all gay men to be evil.  but i deal with individual with respect until they don't deserve it.

Edited by danielost

I don't have a problem with judging.  I have a problem with people judging and then claiming they are right because God is on their side.

Not only is it a denial that one is actually judging others (indicating a personal shame or insecurity of one's own actions), it is a justification based on approval from an omnipotent source (in other words, there is no way to prove oneself wrong about judging others).  You end up being a slave to the monster you created.

• Like 1

Are people really surprised that there are creationists in Europe ?

I am not exactly proud that this happend in my country, but I am not really that surprised either. You find weird people all over the World. 

Creationists are still a fairly small minority here though. On the other hand, until recently we had a creationist as minister of science ! (He is now minister of the enviroment)

• Like 3

any church goer would want a human female to wear cloths.  lucy is human or chimp.  she can't be both.  you choose.

I wonder what Eve really looked like ...

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Are people really surprised that there are creationists in Europe ?

I am not exactly proud that this happend in my country, but I am not really that surprised either. You find weird people all over the World. 

Creationists are still a fairly small minority here though. On the other hand, until recently we had a creationist as minister of science ! (He is now minister of the enviroment)

I used to date one. I got quizzed about evolution every time I went round for for a family dinner. The week I left him his mum was going to the Darwin Centre for her birthday, so those dinner-time arguments must have left some kind of impression.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I wonder what Eve really looked like ...

~

like adam, since she was a clone.