Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Ghost" photos which haven't been debunked

Skulduggery

6 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

The Copper family ghost (hanging body) has also been debunked by one of the boys (now a grown man).

I can post the link to another message board if anyone is interested. 

..for the sake of completion, here it is:

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-cooper-copper-family-ghost-photo.t5536/#post-153637.

The real name of the family was Copper, but it was posted most places as Cooper.  Suggest you read both pages of the thread fully and make up you own minds.  To me, that's pretty comprehensively proven as an unauthorised edit of a now lost family photo, with the figure added for 'fun', probably by the folks at 'Something Awful'.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

..for the sake of completion, here it is:

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-cooper-copper-family-ghost-photo.t5536/#post-153637.

The real name of the family was Copper, but it was posted most places as Cooper.  Suggest you read both pages of the thread fully and make up you own minds.  To me, that's pretty comprehensively proven as an unauthorised edit of a now lost family photo, with the figure added for 'fun', probably by the folks at 'Something Awful'.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how people felt about linking to other message boards. Didn't want to step on any toes.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Thanks, I wasn't sure how people felt about linking to other message boards. Didn't want to step on any toes.

I gotta say... I appreciate you taking a moment to be concerned :) Both as a mod and a fellow member- not everyone thinks about it before posting stuff. Yep, linking to message boards can be ok. But sometimes folks go overboard or link to bad places, and that's not ok. Or only keep referring people to another board instead of discussing whatever it is here on UM- that's not ok either. Over in the True Crime section message boards are regularly cited as part of discussion or to bring up evidence. What you suggested and ChrLzs posted is a fine example of a good message board link.

Poke around in the True Crime forum a bit, and you will see what I mean about good use of message boards during discussions.

As for the Copper/Cooper photo.. I had no idea that was it's name till I opened the link and saw the photo. I always thought it was falling man, or hanging man or something like that, lol. Learn something new every day :tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/15/2016 at 1:38 AM, South Alabam said:

To be honest, no picture or video will ever sway me. Cork a ghost in a bottle that will be proof for me. Too many hoaxers out there, and gullible ones who fall for it. But I'll post a video that can be debunked by actions. (At least by me)

2 things 1.don't keep your dog under the bed 2.tidy the bloody loft up ..... or am I being picky oh and the poltergeist dunno.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 4:39 AM, Matt221 said:

2 things 1.don't keep your dog under the bed 2.tidy the bloody loft up ..... or am I being picky oh and the poltergeist dunno.

+ 3 more:

- why did he start filming the experience?  (that blows it completely for me)

- it's posted under "Entertainment".  I wasn't.  (entertained)

- that's a *really* bad camera..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That videos was lame. I was so bored.

And why was he walking around with the camera checking on the dog?

Lame, just lame. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, Matt221 said:

I agree.  The most terrifying thing in that video was the state of the attic and the closet the stairs to the attic were in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree.  The most terrifying thing in that video was the state of the attic and the closet the stairs to the attic were in.

I know.

I'm so used to having wildlife around I'm not scared by knocks from bear, deer, raccoons and other animals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stereologist said:

I know.

I'm so used to having wildlife around I'm not scared by knocks from bear, deer, raccoons and other animals.

We don't have much wildlife in our garden but what we do get is proper noisy,muntjac deer make a funny noise,hedgehogs snuffleling about, and nocturnal squirrels banging about in the boat shed getting stuck in various boxes and cans

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2016 at 1:38 AM, South Alabam said:

To be honest, no picture or video will ever sway me. Cork a ghost in a bottle that will be proof for me. Too many hoaxers out there, and gullible ones who fall for it. But I'll post a video that can be debunked by actions. (At least by me)

The part at 5:17 where the light goes out is obviously so he can edit the video, he probably needed to edit while he went around the left to throw the guitar. 

Just watch the white box with the green tree logo on the bottom left when it's dark, at about 5:20 you can see the transition of the edit where the camera has clearly moved between takes. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ralph7 said:

The part at 5:17 where the light goes out is obviously so he can edit the video, he probably needed to edit while he went around the left to throw the guitar. 

Just watch the white box with the green tree logo on the bottom left when it's dark, at about 5:20 you can see the transition of the edit where the camera has clearly moved between takes. 

Nice catch on the box. I saw other things but that is convincing enough as well. Thanks.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Matt221 said:

We don't have much wildlife in our garden but what we do get is proper noisy,muntjac deer make a funny noise,hedgehogs snuffleling about, and nocturnal squirrels banging about in the boat shed getting stuck in various boxes and cans

You're lucky.

Have you ever heard the sound a koala makes when it's horny? :blink:

I had them prowling around my campervan and overweight, rabid possums jumping around on the roof.

#****australia

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, jypsijemini said:

You're lucky.

Have you ever heard the sound a koala makes when it's horny? :blink:

I had them prowling around my campervan and overweight, rabid possums jumping around on the roof.

#****australia

Sounds like something our locals would do...

rabid possums

For the sake of correctness, we do not have rabies in Australia.  While possums may carry diseases (like all wild animals in all countries..) they are not particularly aggressive, and reports of them passing on diseases to humans are very rare..

I have a very friendly family of them who use my house roof to travel from tree to tree.  They cause no problems whatsoever, and they are very cute - from the wiki:

Trichosurus_vulpecula_1.jpg

• Like 1

:D  That's a great comparison - the one on the left is adorable...  It's little wonder that 'possum' is a term of endearment here in Oz.  I remember as a kid being told that I should be careful of them, but my only experience with them - including getting quite close - is that they are gentle and shy, but also slightly curious - if I happen to walk close to one at night (last time, one was just sitting on my outdoor table, obviously looking around for food scraps), they will quietly stare at me, and then if they feel I'm getting a little close, they just slowly start moving away.  No snarling, no indication of fear or aggression.

Despite the fact that they are sometimes quite loud (they sound like they have races from one end of my roof to the other!), I'm very fond of them.  Thankfully they usually don't leave any 'souvenirs' (solid or liquid) of their nocturnal explorations around my house.  Very polite of them...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

@ChrLzs Bruh, it was a joke. I know they don't have rabies.

Yeah here in the states, i caught one of these furry beasts in my house, actually opossums are great animals, consuming like 3000 ticks a year, one of the only mammals that have a natural immunity to rabies. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pokingjoker said:

Yeah here in the states, i caught one of these furry beasts in my house, actually opossums are great animals, consuming like 3000 ticks a year, one of the only mammals that have a natural immunity to rabies. 

Possums are not mammals, that's why they don't get rabies.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Possums are not mammals, that's why they don't get rabies.

Yes marsupials are indeed mammals

• Like 3

Also seems my last post didnt go through if it doubles sorry... wanted tp add fun fact, opossums are mostly immune to rabies because of there higher body temperature. Also they are immune to most snake venoms as well... but we are drifting away from this post

Edited by pokingjoker
Spelling

As to the original question posed. While im not saying this was a ghost, it was interesting. Check out this post from a while ago. 

• Like 1

All mammals including opossums can get rabies. The low body temperature of opossums makes it rare for them to carry the disease.

https://opossumsocietyus.org/faq-opossum/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_in_animals#Opossums

Rabies cases in the Virginia opossum are spillover cases from other wildlife species such as bats, skunks and the raccoon epizootic in the eastern United States. Cases have been reported across the United States from California to New York.[33][34] In New York state, laboratory confirmed rabies cases in opossums occurred five of the ten years between from 1989 to 1999. Recently, from 2010 to 2014, rabid Virginia opossums were reported in New York City and the states of New Jersey, Maryland, and Virginia.