Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge 175-ton jade stone unearthed in Burma

UM-Bot

I thought the Jade buddha in  Anshan City was bigger than this?

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, the Anshan Buddha turned out not to be Jade after all.  Been awhile since I heard the claim, though.

• Like 1

Citation needed ...

The statue was sculpted from a piece of jade 7.95 metres (26.1 ft) high, 6.88 metres (22.6 ft) wide, 4.10 metres (13.5 ft) thick, weighing 260.76 tonnes (574,900 lb).[1] The front of the stone has been carved with an image of Sakyamuni (aka. Gautama) Buddha. On the back of the stone Guanyin (aka. Avalokitesvara) Buddha has been carved. The jade stone was found on 22 July 1960 in Xiuyan County of Anshan which is known as the "hometown of jade" (Xiuyan jade is not really jade, but Serpentinite)[citation needed]. It was declared a treasure of the State and listed as a protected property by Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai. Anshan city government commissioned the carving which took a team of 120 sculptors 18 months to complete. The temple complex was opened on the 3rd of September 1996.

~

The Chinese still classifies it as Jade ... *Yu* ... I guess Jade has a wider classification back in the days ...

~

belongs to the country. It is in honour of our leaders."

I hope the miners get the share they deserve. 

Found in Kachin state, the enormous hunk of jade weighs 175 tonnes,

210-ton giant jade stone unearthed in north of Myanmar, the second largest in the country’s history

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/299845/huge-175-ton-jade-stone-unearthed-in-burma

^^^^^

I am confused.

26 minutes ago, Stiff said:

The rock, weighing 175 tonnes and measuring 9ft high and 18ft long, is second only in size to the carved statue at the Jade Buddha Palace in China which weighs 260 tonnes.

It is , the title here is misleading.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stiff said:

There was an error in the article, this is not actually the largest jade stone ever found - the title has since been changed.

It's still ridiculously large though. :tu:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Saru said:

There was an error in the article, this is not actually the largest jade stone ever found - the title has since been changed.

It's still ridiculously large though. :tu:

But what about the 210 tonne bit?

Well being a rock you can't really tell if its entirely Jade ... there are methods to make good guesses through measurements and weights but in the end until its examined through and through it could be just a big rock covered in Jade ...

~

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

But what about the 210 tonne bit?

I can only find one source reporting it to be 210 tons, it's 175 everywhere else.

• Like 2

Going with this as 175 tonnes as it is not the largest ever found, which weight 260 tonnes

the enormous hunk of jade weighs 175 tons

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/299845/huge-175-ton-jade-stone-unearthed-in-burma

Versus

It weighs a staggering 175 tonnes, 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/worlds-biggest-jade-measuring-18ft-9050783

tons and tonnes are not the same in weight??? maybe someone can explain it too me, not that good on weight measures. Sorry, this has just bugged me even though I am trying to convince myself I do not really care, its still a great find.

1 hour ago, geraldnewfie said:

so guess the price of jade went down considering of its rarity?

Jade is not all that rare, it's more of a semi-precious stone. Still, that's a monumental find for any valuable mineral. There are two minerals called jade, jadeite and nephrite. I saw a boulder (I believe of the latter mineral) in Alaska that had slabs being sawn off the side. They were using a long diamond blade that rocked back and forth and was kept wet. The boulder was the size of a small car, and they said it took months to cut one sheet of jade several inches thick off the stone. 

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Going with this as 175 tonnes as it is not the largest ever found, which weight 260 tonnes

the enormous hunk of jade weighs 175 tons

Versus

It weighs a staggering 175 tonnes, 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/worlds-biggest-jade-measuring-18ft-9050783

tons and tonnes are not the same in weight??? maybe someone can explain it too me, not that good on weight measures. Sorry, this has just bugged me even though I am trying to convince myself I do not really care, its still a great find.

To my understanding, Tonnes are Brit metric- 1000kg, metric ton is US 2240 pounds, 1016kg. There is a wee bit difference, just like a yard and meter don't perfectly match. There's also short tons (US) and long tons (Brit) too, but aren't used too much in reporting like this.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, rashore said:

To my understanding, Tonnes are Brit metric- 1000kg, metric ton is US 2240 pounds, 1016kg. There is a wee bit difference, just like a yard and meter don't perfectly match. There's also short tons (US) and long tons (Brit) too, but aren't used too much in reporting like this.

Thankyou, will now  simplify things for myself and just stick to this as being a pretty large find. :tu:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Thankyou, will now  simplify things for myself and just stick to this as being a pretty large find. :tu:

Typically to make conversions easier from one to the other ton, the 2240 lb. is rounded down to 2200 lb. so you don't get "decimal dust" when you start consuming the ton in a commercial application.  At least that's what we had to do to get SAP not to spit out all types of reports for under and over shipments to customers when my company converted to metric for our package sizes.

• Like 2