Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Nessie's cousin help to win WWI?

Black Monk

They fired at its arms?

So not Nessie.

But it might have been Godzilla?  :o

• Like 4

The Kracken strikes again!

• Like 2

What's the original source, what's the real legitimation for this sea serpent story? Why is there a claim that the UB couldn't dive anymore but the official report of the incident, as recorded by the British Naval Department, according to Sakulich is: "(UB-85) Hit by gunfire of Coreopsis while attempting to dive. Resurfaced and abandoned by her crew at 5447N 0523W"? (https://web.archive.org/web/20101208174827/http://media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2005/12/09/SciTech/Sea-Monster.Devours.German.Submarine.In.Fishy.Tale-1126460.shtml). Seems to me that Mr McCartney, historian and marine archaeologist at Bournemouth University, is convincing: 'the story of UB-85 is still being told and re-told on websites focusing on alleged paranormal events, though one historian believes it dates back not to the war but to a club armchair and too much pink gin in the 1920s. “It has been perpetuated by credulous journalists”' (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/19/u-boat-wreck-could-be-sea-monster-victim-of-internet-folklore). Scott Hamilton traced the story back to "Sea Monsters: A Collection of Eyewitness Accounts" by James B. Sweeney, published in 1977. Its not included in his "A Pictorial History of Sea Monsters and Other Dangerous Marine Life" of 1972 btw. Hamilton's verdict follows the above ones: "[...] this story originates with Sweeney, and after I acquired the book it turns out that's far from the least credible story in it. The book is about half well-established stories, and half incredible whoppers with no clear sources, typified by the sea serpents interacting with or even killing people well into recent history. I think only the UB-85 story has ever made it onto the web, probably because UB-85 is at least a verifiably real boat. Some of the other stories so ridiculous that even the most fantasy-addled fringe writer would be given pause [...]" (http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/the-copy-and-paste-mysteries-of-the-nine-unknown-men).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

So plesiosaurs helped to win World War I? Huh, never learned that in history class.

I'm glad that this sea monster was on the side of the allies:P

Edited by Mudflap
  • Like 1

Small arms fire, so they shot it with small guns, the create didnt have small arms LOL

• Like 5

Lol, small arms fire! The creature was said to have arms like a T-Rex....Should we shoot it with cannons? No no, look at its tiny arms!

• Like 1

I really believe..not because of moby dick.but the old maritime sailors.hasnt everyone seen the pictures of the giant octopus dragging the ship under.I bet its more than just giant size sea creatures that we already know about.

3 hours ago, zac509 said:

I really believe..not because of moby dick.but the old maritime sailors.hasnt everyone seen the pictures of the giant octopus dragging the ship under.I bet its more than just giant size sea creatures that we already know about.

But this was in wartime..

Why shoot at its arms, and not the head or where the heart is?

Because the captains story is fake

UB-85 was nearly 200ft, this creature would have had to been atleast twice that I figure...yet the largest whale in the sea doesn't even pass 100ft.

Edited by Goodf3llow

SOLVED!

Mystery of the WWI U-Boat and the 'sea monster' solved: How bungling German captain sank his own vessel after demanding a heater in his cabin - and then blaming leak on a creature of the deep

UB-85 was patrolling the Irish Sea when captain claimed monster attacked
    Captain said damage forced them to surface and surrender to British
    Sub was recently found by Scottish Power when laying undersea cables
    German navy logs reveal sub sunk after issues caused by captain's heater

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3862842/SOLVED-mystery-World-War-U-Boat-condemned-depths-savaged-sea-monster.html#ixzz4NrOM8Wx2

• Like 5

3 hours ago, seeder said:

SOLVED!

IMG_0688.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Are people seriously this bad at reading? English is my third language and even I understood that the German crew scared the creature off using small arms fire, as in shooting at it with hand guns, not that the creature had small arms. Bloody hell.

On 02/11/2016 at 11:09 PM, comtess said:

Are people seriously this bad at reading? English is my third language and even I understood that the German crew scared the creature off using small arms fire, as in shooting at it with hand guns, not that the creature had small arms. Bloody hell.

Under questioning by British forces he went on to describe how the ship's gunners fired at the mysterious creature's arms

Where are you getting small arms fire from? That's the only mention of arms, either weapons or limbs, in the entire story. In fact, it says the 'ship's' gunners, so that means the men who manned the deck gun, which is a large gun, fixed to the deck, hence the name. And is a tad too heavy to be used as a hand gun.  

Do you want to revise your opinion on other people's comprehension skills? 

By the way, your written English is excellent. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2 November 2016 at 11:32 PM, oldrover said:

Under questioning by British forces he went on to describe how the ship's gunners fired at the mysterious creature's arms

Where are you getting small arms fire from? That's the only mention of arms, either weapons or limbs, in the entire story. In fact, it says the 'ship's' gunners, so that means the men who manned the deck gun, which is a large gun, fixed to the deck, hence the name. And is a tad too heavy to be used as a hand gun.  

Do you want to revise your opinion on other people's comprehension skills? 

By the way, your written English is excellent. 

Where am I getting small arms fire from? It's in the article:

According to Krech, the crew had managed to drive the creature away with small arms fire. - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/299948/wwi-submarine-was-attacked-by-monster#sthash.C4lARpNI.dpuf

So no, I'm not going to revise my opinion on other people's comprehension skills. I'm sticking by my statement.

You don't need to explain any terms to me. I fully understand what I'm reading. 

• Like 2