Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
speculette

Coincidence or Something More?

speculette

Hi there! I figure this is an appropriate place to voice my confusion. Please do feel free to state your opinion - I'm not claiming in so much as speculating (hence the username ;)). I'm grateful to everyone who bothers to read all of this!

So ever since I was little, I've known things - no doubt weird things, coincidental things, but never anything truly concrete. The earliest significant example of this was back in December 2009. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the actress Brittany Murphy, but I'd always liked her movies Uptown Girls, and Clueless. 12 year old me was sitting in the backseat of the car and I had the sudden, indelible urge to watch Uptown Girls. Nothing had prompted the thought - I was staring out at the passing fields, and it was less like a thought that had been brewed up in my mind due to various stimuli, and more like the thought had hit me full force, stirring up in my gut and overcoming my mind. I needed to watch this film. I needed to see it. I voiced this thought to my family. 

It's understandable, then, that we were all quite shaken when we woke up the next morning and heard that Murphy had died around the same time this thought occurred to me. 

This has always stuck with me for its magnitude (I did really like Brittany Murphy, after all), but it could very well be passed up for coincidence. Incident #2: About a month later, I accidentally smashed a ceramic bowl I'd been using to feed my guinea pig for four years. My dear pig died the next day. Incident(s) #3: I can't watch a River Phoenix movie without balling, because I feel a terrible sense of mourning when I see him. I only recently found out we have the same birthdates, and his sister the same birthdate as my sister. Considering he died before I was born, this feels a little strange, like part of him lives inside of me (I know, I know, *eyeroll.* I can't help these thoughts though - its just very strange to feel grief for a stranger. Extensive research shows we also had very similar personalities and presences in our lives.)

Aside from death-related incidents: to this day, I always seem to preconceive a) the thoughts of others, and b)) events. The latest incidents - #1: I had randomly done extensive research on Steve Irwin, curiously looking into his death, his life, because I'd always liked him in this distant way, but only very randomly was struck with the urge to look into him. The next day, my psychology professor used him and his death as an example for some lecture material. #2: I'm in a concert hall last weekend, looking at the empty stage and waiting for the act to come on, when I get the weird feeling that John Mayer had played there before. The girl next to me, not a millisecond later, tells her friend she saw John Mayer at that concert hall. #3: I'm thinking of how I haven't heard from my Grandma in months, and I should visit her. The next time I check my email, there's a message from her. #4: My friend had always sent me snapchats last year of a girl she'd hang out with at school. I'm now at the same school, and I asked my friend (again, out of the blue) where the girl from the snapchats went. She told me she hasn't talked to her since the year before. We parted ways, and I get a text from her about an hour later letting me know she just ran into the very girl I'd asked about, for the first time in months and months. 

I also hardly ever skip school, or work, because it makes me feel guilty. But when I do, it's almost always a quick and sudden decision, and 99% of the time, I find out there could have been a preconceived reason for my having skipped it (ex. all my teachers were absent; there were fire alarms going off all day; the teacher decided to put on a movie instead of continue with class material; my study group ended up being cancelled etc.) Same deal with things like deciding to take a different bus route for no reason, leaving at a different time than normal, cancelling plans last minute etc. Let's just say I'm a rather lucky person, and tend to avoid trouble like the plague (or rather, I always seem to end up exactly where I need to be in a given moment. Be advised, trouble is definitely not synonymous with bizarre in this case, because my life is rather weird.) 

You can see where all of these can be dismissed as coincidence, but I'm not kidding you when I say I experience at least one of these a day. Just weird connections, weird preconceived occurrences. If these are related to me or a sixth sense in any way: am I making them happen, or am I simply predicting them? Is there a way to harness this to feel things beyond little, pointless details? What could be the origin of these thoughts if they are supernatural? I'm an atheist, so it's very hard for me to make sense of things when I don't have a God to blame, and I don't have an explanation for what seems like fate. The closest thing I have to a spiritual belief is my belief in spirit animals, as I've had many, many strange occurrences revolving around the owl (which countless internet quizzes tell me is my spirit animal! ;))  

So: Do these abilities exist? Coincidence or something more? 

Thank you for listening <3 Discussion is so welcome!! 

- speculette 

PS: I'm also quite the empath. Always have been. It's one thing I see as a curse and a blessing in my life. I haven't decided if my overwhelming ability to sense emotions in a room and/or a single person is supernatural, or simply scientific and personality-based, but I won't go into detail about this in this thread (unless one of you believe it is relevant!) 

Edited by speculette
  • Like 2

ouija ouija

Hi speculette, welcome to UM. Personally, I don't believe these are coincidences. I may be wrong but I don't think this 'ability' can be developed, I think it's just a 'sense' that some people have in varying degrees. I have it myself but it doesn't happen every day, like it does for you.

• Like 1

Liquid Gardens

Hi speculette, welcome to UM!

It is of course possible that you have some kind of psychic abilities.  From a skeptical point of view, I would bring up 2 points.  First is that our memories are not perfect recordings, they are constructed by our brains and there is evidence that they are altered over time when they are retrieved from our memories.  From a coincidence point of view, the other point is that it would actually be unusual if there were no incredible coincidences.  The number of events or thoughts that we have in even just one day number in the hundreds/thousands, so over time a one in a million coincidence is eventually going to be expected.  Plus we have to think in these coincidences how many different events you could connect and call it a 'hit'.  Just using your Brittany Murphy example where you had an overwhelming urge to watch Uptown Girls.  What if when you got home you turned on the tube and that movie just happened to be playing, would that count?  What if she had been just injured in a car accident soon after your feeling, or announced she was getting a divorce, or that she had some disease, or was on a talk show, etc; the number of connections that could be made to your feeling may be more numerous than just the example of her death, thereby making the probability of a coincidence higher than it might seem.

But keep an eye on these kind of things regardless; it would be cool if someone could actually demonstrate these kind of powers!

Edited by Liquid Gardens

XenoFish
2 hours ago, speculette said:

Hi there! I figure this is an appropriate place to voice my confusion. Please do feel free to state your opinion - I'm not claiming in so much as speculating (hence the username ;)). I'm grateful to everyone who bothers to read all of this!

First off. Welcome to UM.

So ever since I was little, I've known things - no doubt weird things, coincidental things, but never anything truly concrete. The earliest significant example of this was back in December 2009. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the actress Brittany Murphy, but I'd always liked her movies Uptown Girls, and Clueless. 12 year old me was sitting in the backseat of the car and I had the sudden, indelible urge to watch Uptown Girls. Nothing had prompted the thought - I was staring out at the passing fields, and it was less like a thought that had been brewed up in my mind due to various stimuli, and more like the thought had hit me full force, stirring up in my gut and overcoming my mind. I needed to watch this film. I needed to see it. I voiced this thought to my family. 

I'd say that it probably had been brewing in the back of your mind till you had that impulse moment.

It's understandable, then, that we were all quite shaken when we woke up the next morning and heard that Murphy had died around the same time this thought occurred to me. 

Considering that you had the desire to watch one of her movies the day before. It doesn't surprise me. 

This has always stuck with me for its magnitude (I did really like Brittany Murphy, after all), but it could very well be passed up for coincidence. Incident #2: About a month later, I accidentally smashed a ceramic bowl I'd been using to feed my guinea pig for four years. My dear pig died the next day. Incident(s) #3: I can't watch a River Phoenix movie without balling, because I feel a terrible sense of mourning when I see him. I only recently found out we have the same birthdates, and his sister the same birthdate as my sister. Considering he died before I was born, this feels a little strange, like part of him lives inside of me (I know, I know, *eyeroll.* I can't help these thoughts though - its just very strange to feel grief for a stranger. Extensive research shows we also had very similar personalities and presences in our lives.)

Guinea pigs live between 4-8 years. The second is more of an association and sympathy pains thing.

Aside from death-related incidents: to this day, I always seem to preconceive a) the thoughts of others, and b)) events. The latest incidents - #1: I had randomly done extensive research on Steve Irwin, curiously looking into his death, his life, because I'd always liked him in this distant way, but only very randomly was struck with the urge to look into him. The next day, my psychology professor used him and his death as an example for some lecture material. #2: I'm in a concert hall last weekend, looking at the empty stage and waiting for the act to come on, when I get the weird feeling that John Mayer had played there before. The girl next to me, not a millisecond later, tells her friend she saw John Mayer at that concert hall. #3: I'm thinking of how I haven't heard from my Grandma in months, and I should visit her. The next time I check my email, there's a message from her. #4: My friend had always sent me snapchats last year of a girl she'd hang out with at school. I'm now at the same school, and I asked my friend (again, out of the blue) where the girl from the snapchats went. She told me she hasn't talked to her since the year before. We parted ways, and I get a text from her about an hour later letting me know she just ran into the very girl I'd asked about, for the first time in months and months. 

Our brains are amazing pattern recognition machines and will (if need be) create a pattern when there is none.

I also hardly ever skip school, or work, because it makes me feel guilty. But when I do, it's almost always a quick and sudden decision, and 99% of the time, I find out there could have been a preconceived reason for my having skipped it (ex. all my teachers were absent; there were fire alarms going off all day; the teacher decided to put on a movie instead of continue with class material; my study group ended up being cancelled etc.) Same deal with things like deciding to take a different bus route for no reason, leaving at a different time than normal, cancelling plans last minute etc. Let's just say I'm a rather lucky person, and tend to avoid trouble like the plague (or rather, I always seem to end up exactly where I need to be in a given moment. Be advised, trouble is definitely not synonymous with bizarre in this case, because my life is rather weird.) 

I'd say that this is just impulsiveness and luck. lol

You can see where all of these can be dismissed as coincidence, but I'm not kidding you when I say I experience at least one of these a day. Just weird connections, weird preconceived occurrences. If these are related to me or a sixth sense in any way: am I making them happen, or am I simply predicting them? Is there a way to harness this to feel things beyond little, pointless details? What could be the origin of these thoughts if they are supernatural? I'm an atheist, so it's very hard for me to make sense of things when I don't have a God to blame, and I don't have an explanation for what seems like fate. The closest thing I have to a spiritual belief is my belief in spirit animals, as I've had many, many strange occurrences revolving around the owl (which countless internet quizzes tell me is my spirit animal! ;))  

My answer. Our brains are amazing machines that can do a lot of wonderful and weird things. Use it well.

- speculette 

PS: I'm also quite the empath. Always have been. It's one thing I see as a curse and a blessing in my life. I haven't decided if my overwhelming ability to sense emotions in a room and/or a single person is supernatural, or simply scientific and personality-based, but I won't go into detail about this in this thread (unless one of you believe it is relevant!) 

Look into mirror neurons.

White Unicorn
20 hours ago, speculette said:

- speculette 

Hi and welcome to UM :)

Most of what you mentioned could be totally coincidental or psychological effects of a sense or memory.

If you want to learn more,  I would suggest starting a log of your intuitive things and view them sceptically. As you grow older you may see some things were beyond coincidental and you can learn to have more control and understandings of your intuition and make it work for you. You can be picking up on things in the environment and or other people's combined thoughts sometimes. Your intuition can factor all these things into context to have a precognition of how things can most likely play out in reality. 

Our minds and senses are different. I consider myself an empath and a channeller. In reality I think it's not really supernatural or paranormal. It's just that some people are born with or develop an extra awareness of heightened senses. When first becoming aware of it the conscious mind kind of translates the communication to you in line with whatever your belief system you have at the time. This is where psychological effects start to dominate in most of the  people who think it's demonic, spirits and ghosts etc and causes them trouble. Keep sceptical in your awareness of extra senses and how your mind translates the information at first because it is usually misleading to beginners who are experiencing that something extra. 

• Like 1

John from Lowell

Hello and Welcome.

My understanding of these things is that you are in the flow of life and picking up on knowledge and information from the field. This field is like the force as described in that star wars movie series. There are some who see it as the energy called God.

Now if you wish to expand your awareness and contribute more to co-creation, I would suggest bonding with what I call the higher mind/self you have. You do that with the energy of intent and the effort to imaging a conversation with your inner wisdom in your mind.

John

• Like 1

sees
On 10/26/2016 at 6:44 PM, speculette said:

- speculette 

Hi Speculette - you certainly ask a lot of questions!  Since you say you are an empath, that would automatically make you more sensitive and so you do have psychic abilities.  Psychic abilities are very real and can be developed.  I have developed intuition and am claircognizant (i.e. can tell a lot about someone on first meeting them). I wonder if you are familiar with synchronicity (a term coined by Yung?)   It's the term given for meaningful coincidences i.e. not all coincidences are meaningful but the ones that are should be obvious i.e. resonate with you. 

For instance, something that happens frequently to me is that I read a particular word (not a common word) and hear it at the same time, i.e. on the radio whilst I am reading something.  However, although it makes me stop in my tracks, it has never been a eureka moment when I thought the word was significant/meaningful to me...it was just a coincidence.

For meaningful coincidences though, I don't feel there needs to be a belief in God, do you?  Fate maybe.