Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity Checks Odd-looking Iron Meteorite

Waspie_Dwarf

Curiosity Mars Rover Checks Odd-looking Iron Meteorite

Laser-zapping of a globular, golf-ball-size object on Mars by NASA's Curiosity rover confirms that it is an iron-nickel meteorite fallen from the Red Planet's sky.

Iron-nickel meteorites are a common class of space rocks found on Earth, and previous examples have been seen on Mars, but this one, called "Egg Rock," is the first on Mars examined with a laser-firing spectrometer. To do so, the rover team used Curiosity's Chemistry and Camera (ChemCam) instrument.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA/JPL

• Like 1

Just a matter of time before someone on the Internet claims it's a fragment of a crashed UFO. lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Just a matter of time before someone on the Internet claims it's a fragment of a crashed UFO. lol

yes, someone who can not be bothered to read the original article. Hope they bring their crashed UFO  theory on here.:tu:

• Like 3

I thought it was kind of dumb to say that Mars has sampled a different asteroid stream. I mean, really? A different planet with a different orbit has different things hit it? You don't say ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geraldnewfie said:

looks like melted metal....maybe from a crash ?

Here we go...

• Like 3

That is clearly mechanical like UFO debris and they are covering it up........
Only joking, someone had to release the pressure valve!

Seriously though, it is kinda interesting how a piece of meteorite can be laying in that position with no form of impact around it. Almost like it was dropped off the back of a Martian lorry or something, rather than hit the planet at several hundred/thousand/tens of thousands of miles per hour. I wonder if the small horseshoe shape on the right hand side of the image is to do with it as well, or is that evidence of alien midget equestrian eventing?
A fascinating find even if it is just a rock that nobody can pick up and examine further!

• Like 1

Lump of modelling clay!
Case closed.......

3 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

looks like melted metal....maybe from a crash ?

What kind of crash....................dare I ask?!!!

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

What kind of crash....................dare I ask?!!!

It fell off a martian wheelbarrow that an Alien was taking to the scrap yard, ....seriously it probably is a meteorite which skimmed the planets surface and bounced for several hundred yards before coming to rest as there are no skid marks or gouges near it

• Like 1

So you are saying that the most resembling thing of a UFO on Mars so far wasn't picked up first by some "eagle-eyed" internet user, as they usually call them, but by a legit NASA team? 

What the odds! 

Conspiracy! 

Cover up! 

Or maybe the eagle-eyed users were too busy checking zealously that rock formation that looks exactly like a Martian Marilyn Monroe with her skirt floating? 

it looks like a mans head.  in fact it looks like lincoln's head.  and yes i read the story. and looked at the rock.

4 hours ago, ExoPaul said:

Seriously though, it is kinda interesting how a piece of meteorite can be laying in that position with no form of impact around it. Almost like it was dropped off the back of a Martian lorry or something, rather than hit the planet at several hundred/thousand/tens of thousands of miles per hour.

Small meteorites, on planets with atmospheres, don't hit the ground at thousands of miles an hour. The atmosphere slows them down and they land at terminal velocity. That is why the Earth is not covered in small craters, unlike the moon,

It's also worth pointing out that Mars has winds and dust storms which could easily obliterate smaller craters.

• Like 4

Indeed, the remnants of an ancient Martian smelting operation.

Or it's a decorative skull cap... maybe coprolite, or quite possibly a piece off a crashed alien space ship...  or a meteorite - I guess.

28 minutes ago, djfxw said:

What is that 'U' shaped metal thing on the rock to the right of it?

It's just part of the rock. I very much doubt that it is metal. Most images from Mars are not in "true colour". Contrast and colour differences are exaggerated to make identification of different types of minerals easier (amongst other reasons)

15 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Small meteorites, on planets with atmospheres, don't hit the ground at thousands of miles an hour. The atmosphere slows them down and they land at terminal velocity. That is why the Earth is not covered in small craters, unlike the moon,

It's also worth pointing out that Mars has winds and dust storms which could easily obliterate smaller craters.

It also may have bounced a bit and not be in the same spot as it initially hit.

wow surprisingly very clean !

On 04/11/2016 at 5:00 AM, danielost said:

it looks like a mans head.  in fact it looks like lincoln's head.  

Pareidolia ...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, danielost said:

SORRY NO.

Daniel, first things first, please don't post in all capitals. As well as being considered bad manners it is against the rules of this site.

Secondly are you saying that it IS some kind of metal head?

If the answer to that is no then by definition it is pareidolia.

If the answer is yes may I suggest not hijacking this topic and starting a new topic in the correct section: Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 8:14 PM, danielost said:

SORRY NO.

I'm curious too. Are you saying it is not pareidolia and is indeed a mans head, even Lincolns? Surely you jest.

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

I'm curious too. Are you saying it is not pareidolia and is indeed a mans head, even Lincolns? Surely you jest.

i am saying i am not seeing what i want to see.  but that it does indeed look like a mans head.  lincolns head with bread.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 9:08 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Daniel, first things first, please don't post in all capitals. As well as being considered bad manners it is against the rules of this site.

Secondly are you saying that it IS some kind of metal head?

If the answer to that is no then by definition it is pareidolia.

If the answer is yes may I suggest not hijacking this topic and starting a new topic in the correct section: Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon

Thank you.

sorry i forget that i have caps locked.