Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing Your Name Called When Nobody's There

StarMountainKid

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but... The other night I was resting on the couch, between wakefulness and sleep, when I heard "Hey Ron!". It sounded as if it were in my mind, but it sounded so real and not in my own voice that I got up and went to the door to see if anyone was outside calling me. No one was there.

This happened I think earlier this year when I was in bed going to sleep. "Ron!" I heard, and again I thought it was someone at my door, so I went to see if anyone was outside, no one was around.

This has happened to me several times in the past besides these two instances. I don't remember the details of them all, but I remember it happening and the voice, not sounding like mine, sounded so real as if someone was actually calling my name.

I wonder what psychologically all this is about. I'm not into psychics and psychic phenomena and all that, so I would consider these experiences psychological in nature. It's a strange experience, and I don't understand its origin. Any suggestions to what this is about?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but... The other night I was resting on the couch, between wakefulness and sleep, when I heard "Hey Ron!". It sounded as if it were in my mind, but it sounded so real and not in my own voice that I got up and went to the door to see if anyone was outside calling me. No one was there.

This happened I think earlier this year when I was in bed going to sleep. "Ron!" I heard, and again I thought it was someone at my door, so I went to see if anyone was outside, no one was around.

This has happened to me several times in the past besides these two instances. I don't remember the details of them all, but I remember it happening and the voice, not sounding like mine, sounded so real as if someone was actually calling my name.

I wonder what psychologically all this is about. I'm not into psychics and psychic phenomena and all that, so I would consider these experiences psychological in nature. It's a strange experience, and I don't understand its origin. Any suggestions to what this is about?

Psychology would say it's an auditory memory playing back to your conscious mind. If heard by others and accompanied by other physical phenomena it could be considered a paranormal type of occurrence. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

Psychology would say it's an auditory memory playing back to your conscious mind. If heard by others and accompanied by other physical phenomena it could be considered a paranormal type of occurrence.

An auditory memory playing back. But why? The other interesting thing is, it's as if someone is calling me by name. It's kind of spooky. After it happened I wondered who it could be. :)  I didn't recognize the voice, though I don't remember much about how friend's voices sound.

It's almost a paranormal experience, as if someone is actually trying to get my attention, it sounds so real and lifelike. I'm not much of a paranormal believer, though. Maybe there's some official psychological data on this, I'll have to look it up.

I had a very similar experience after eating some funny mushrooms in 1982 :lol:

• Like 2

Oh man that's nothing. The stuff that happens to me in the half awake half asleep state would blow your mind.

Personally I really don't know what it actually is. I lean towards it being real, on some level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

Oh man that's nothing. The stuff that happens to me in the half awake half asleep state would blow your mind.

Personally I really don't know what it actually is. I lean towards it being real, on some level.

That's the thing, it sounds real to me.

• Like 1

I have experience this many times.

I last time I have experience this, wasn't to long ago.

It was almost time to get up, after a nights sleep. But I was still sleeping, then I heard very loudly (like a shout) and very clearly, my name.

This yell, instantly woke me up, and I was out of my bed. I opened my bedroom door, and nobody was around

Then I realised the voice was of my dads, but my dad lives 4,000 miles away

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

That's the thing, it sounds real to me.

There are folks who are satisfied with official (for lack of a better word) explanations for this sorta thing. They use all kinds of fancy words and such, but when you really dig into it, you see they really have no idea either. You should take a whack at astral projection if you really want to go down the rabbit hole. As many times as Ive done it now, even the smallest things about it still amaze me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

A couple of nights ago, I was just on the verge of sleep when I was woken (fully) by a loud hammering on the door. It sounds totally real, but there was nothing and no one there. I did check. It's when you start to dream while you're still half awake. 

1 hour ago, MissJatti said:

I have experience this many times.

I last time I have experience this, wasn't to long ago.

It was almost time to get up, after a nights sleep. But I was still sleeping, then I heard very loudly (like a shout) and very clearly, my name.

This yell, instantly woke me up, and I was out of my bed. I opened my bedroom door, and nobody was around

Then I realised the voice was of my dads, but my dad lives 4,000 miles away

Did you give your Dad a call to see if he was alright ? I would have.

• Like 3

My initial response to mysterious things is prayer.  

Should I hear my guardian angel, I'm very circumspect.  When I recognize the voice as that of someone else, I usually contact the person and, generally, there is some reason why s/he is especially in need of a friend.  If I don't recognize the voice, I mentally ask, "Who are you?" Either I draw a blank and forget it or I might likewise ask, "What do you want?"

Once I heard my deceased sister's voice carrying on about her daughter.  Only my niece's name was clear.  I prayed for both of them and, then, mentally asked my niece, "What's wrong?"  Though she, like my sister, seemed to wail from too great of a distance for their words to be distinguishable, her tone told me she had done something to get herself into a bind.  After being unable to contact her by conventional means, I discovered my mother had been keeping her situation secret while I might have better availed her.

Edited by aka CAT

I've heard that referred to as a 'sending' and it is an indication someone is intensely focused on you and they are feeling a very strong emotion.

• Like 1

If you want a non-metaphysical perspective I'd say it was an auditory hallucination. One that might have been brought on by some mental, physical, or emotional trigger. 

11 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I've heard that referred to as a 'sending' and it is an indication someone is intensely focused on you and they are feeling a very strong emotion.

If this had any validity I've caused havoc in many a mind. 

• Like 1

It is no auditory hallucination or mind memory, it is a spirit communicating with you. Mostly anyway unless like above posts say the person is still alive that's different. This has happened to me at least twice in that exact state you speak of, the interval between wake and sleep, that's when they can communicate better, that time and in a meditation. It is a spirit who knows you , don't be worried it's all good. 

Edited by Starseed11
  • Like 1

I also heard my recently deceased grandmother make a statement to me clear as a bell when I was in that exact state, also I heard a spirit/guide say 'Mutta' , at the time I was letting my relationship with my mother who adopted me out (I'm half German Mutta means mother) , slide, so I guess the spirit/guide was asking me to continue the relationship. Anyway it happens , good to see I'm not the only one. 

Edited by Starseed11
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you want a non-metaphysical perspective I'd say it was an auditory hallucination. One that might have been brought on by some mental, physical, or emotional trigger. 

If this had any validity I've caused havoc in many a mind. 

Receptivity, personal and spiritual, is a factor.  While I don't claim such hunches as the one described above everyday, either the intensity or clarity of such an experience is so impelling or 'rings' so true as to compel verification.  Seldom am I so spurred without cause.  

The reason you cannot better trust your instincts, XenoFish, is because you feed yourself too many mixed messages-- something that is very detrimental to one's well being.  It not only causes one to doubt himself but to loose conviction in many things.  For example, if you are ever to quit smoking, you must trust your resolve.   

Edited by aka CAT

Thanks, XenoFish for the link. So, it's a hallucination between sleep and wakefulness caused by stress. But why, "Hey Ron!"? It doesn't relate to what I may be stressful about, but that may be the answer, or an answer.

I now remember another time years ago when a group of us were sitting around a table in a blues club in Chicago. Suddenly I heard, "Ron!". I looked around to see who had called my name, but everyone was ignoring me, busy watching the band on stage. I was wide awake. It did sound real, but at the same time it sounded in my head and not in my ears. I remember wondering about it when it happened. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Receptivity, personal and spiritual, is a factor.  While I don't claim such hunches as the one described above everyday, either the intensity or clarity of such an experience is so impelling or 'rings' so true as to compel verification.  Seldom am I so spurred without cause.  

The reason you cannot better trust your instincts, XenoFish, is because you feed yourself too many mixed messages-- something that is very detrimental to one's well being.  It not only causes one to doubt himself but to loose conviction in many things.  For example, if you are ever to quit smoking, you must trust your resolve.   

If I wanted to quit smoking (though I don't smoke) I'd have to firmly plant that intention in my subconscious. Willpower can only do so much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Starseed11 said:

I also heard my recently deceased grandmother make a statement to me clear as a bell when I was in that exact state, also I heard a spirit/guide say 'Mutta' , at the time I was letting my relationship with my mother who adopted me out (I'm half German Mutta means mother) , slide, so I guess the spirit/guide was asking me to continue the relationship. Anyway it happens , good to see I'm not the only one. 

Greetings, Starseed,

The same thing happens to me.  When I try to ignore such messages, they are rephrased in ways that pique my interest.  For example, for my wanting to maintain something a parental problem, an unknown word popped into my head and, upon looking it up, I learned a new synonym for offspring.

• Like 1

I've heard what sounded like someone calling me when I wasn't home or going to sleep. I've heard it when walking down the street, and no one is there that would know my name. I've heard it at work too. I even went to my coworkers and asked them if they called me and they said no. I swore someone called my name. I don't know why this happens, but other people have told me it happens to them too. Maybe it's something to do with our subconscious minds. It's just playing tricks on us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If I wanted to quit smoking (though I don't smoke) I'd have to firmly plant that intention in my subconscious. Willpower can only do so much.

Recently, I thought I read about your wanting to quit.  Nevertheless, as you've confided your honestly taking psychological tests that are indicative of compulsive liars, it is a wonder that you aren't as fit for a straight jacket as apparently is your avatar.

Just now, aka CAT said:

Recently, I thought I read about your wanting to quit.  Nevertheless, as you've confided your honestly taking psychological tests that are indicative of compulsive liars, it is a wonder that you aren't as fit for a straight jacket as apparently is your avatar.

What are you on about? I took an online test for fun. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What are you on about? I took an online test for fun. 

Just take care, because I really don't want anything to spoil your fun.