Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing Your Name Called When Nobody's There

StarMountainKid

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You win. Victory is yours. I'm done. I've grown tired of this. It never ends, never stops. 

Ghosts, demons, angels, all the gods, and the shadow figures are real. The skeptics are just a bunch of idiots. You've won. Congratulations.

I'm just so tired. 

I know you're just being sarcastic, but those closed-minded fact-hating believers might think you're serious.  You're not serious, are you?  Don't get tired of being right all of the time, embrace it and let the unwashed masses flow around you....you can't be touched, you can't be stopped.

:) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Sure, I get you--I'll agree with what you posted.

I'm not a brain expert, my expertise is being right all of the time and being open, honest and humble about it. :P 

I'm not an expert either by any means. I just remember some of this from my years of dementia training. Research into dementia is constantly progressing as researchers study the different parts of the brain and what they control. There are now over 200 types of dementia that have been discovered, depending on what part of the brain is involved. People with Alzheimer's display a wide range of memory abilities and physical symptoms, depending on what part of the brain is affected. They can't remember if they ate, but they can remember a face. They may not be able to speak, but they can see and hear everything. They will keep breathing and their heart will keep beating. They still have the feelings and emotions that all of us have. The brain is an amazing organ we may never fully understand. It's pretty much learning how to communicate and interact with someone who's mind is no longer functioning at full capacity. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I have lousy hearing due to having played in loud rock and roll bands for years. There's a ringing in my left ear sometimes. I have slept on my couch under my air conditioner, and the sound it makes sounds like a crowd of people all talking at once, but I can't understand their language.

The phenomenon at the blues club happened when I was in my early 20s, so I don't think the cause is hearing damage.

I think you've found the cause of your hearing your name.  The air conditioner does compound the problem.  Add a fan, which can cause people auditory hallucinations, and the situation is worse.

It is best to seek scientific solutions first and good, when occasioned, to test all possible indications. 

Peace be with you.

38 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You win. Victory is yours. I'm done. I've grown tired of this. It never ends, never stops. 

Ghosts, demons, angels, all the gods, and the shadow figures are real. The skeptics are just a bunch of idiots. You've won. Congratulations.

I'm just so tired. 

It is indeed vexing to be an advocate for something you are not 100% sold on.

43 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is indeed vexing to be an advocate for something you are not 100% sold on.

One isn't forced to advocate anything.

Much of the time, I reserve judgment

while I always favor win-win situations.

Peace be with you and XenoFish. 

5 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

One isn't forced to advocate anything.

Much of the time, I reserve judgment

while I always favor win-win situations.

Peace be with you and XenoFish. 

I was talking about xenofish !

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

I was talking about xenofish !

Ditto.

Is there anything particularly traumatic or stressful going on in your life? Sometimes when that sort of thing happens, we manage to do this to ourselves. I speak from experience. When I say that, I don't mean "it's all in your head." I just mean it originates there and somehow happens outside of us. And it can sometimes be experienced by other people around us. I can't explain the mechanics of it, but I know if you get whatever is bothering you under control, the phenomena magically disappears. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, aka CAT said:

I think you've found the cause of your hearing your name.  The air conditioner does compound the problem.  Add a fan, which can cause people auditory hallucinations, and the situation is worse.

It is best to seek scientific solutions first and good, when occasioned, to test all possible indications. 

Peace be with you.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think any extraneous noise is the cause of me hearing my name called. Searching my memory, I can remember four instances in which I heard my name called. Two while I was in bed going to sleep, one at a club and one at work. All the voices sounded inside my head, though so articulate and real I thought they had come from my external environment.

7 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Is there anything particularly traumatic or stressful going on in your life? Sometimes when that sort of thing happens, we manage to do this to ourselves. I speak from experience. When I say that, I don't mean "it's all in your head." I just mean it originates there and somehow happens outside of us. And it can sometimes be experienced by other people around us. I can't explain the mechanics of it, but I know if you get whatever is bothering you under control, the phenomena magically disappears. 

In these experiences it doesn't seem I was under any particularly unusual stress, no more than the usual stress of everyday life. :)   It just seemed to happen spontaneously out of the blue for no reason. It would seem if I was stressed out, a subconscious voice would say something relating to the stressful situation, not just calling my name.

As I say, I would like a scientific, psychological reason for this, but it feels like someone else calling me. This may be an illusion stemming from the reality of the sound of the voice. All this is not a big thing in my life, just an interesting and curious phenomenon for me.

It's probably an anomaly or momentary brain short-circuit or auditory hallucination. But why would this occur in this manner? If it's a paranormal experience, someone from beyond the beyond greeting or calling my attention, I'll say "hello back to you!" I want to thank everybody commenting on this. It seems not such an unusual experience.

23 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

An auditory memory playing back. But why? The other interesting thing is, it's as if someone is calling me by name. It's kind of spooky. After it happened I wondered who it could be. :)  I didn't recognize the voice, though I don't remember much about how friend's voices sound.

It's almost a paranormal experience, as if someone is actually trying to get my attention, it sounds so real and lifelike. I'm not much of a paranormal believer, though. Maybe there's some official psychological data on this, I'll have to look it up.

XenoFish gave you some links on the psychology views. 

Even if it's something more than that which it really is in some cases, I always advice people to be sceptical of their own perceptions at first and analyze it in all ways you can think of doing to learn more of how it works and to use it to help you. 

People can become aware of extra enhanced senses that make them aware of things outside of themselves and make connections to others. Morning after sleep is a good time to meditate and pick up on things the subconscious knows from extra awareness, it communicates with your awake a self in wwhatever  way that you will understand the important part of a message. Log things in a note book, you wouldn't believe what you can discover by just doing that simple of thing. In a later time you will know more about what type of messages were received and understand more about what is real or not. Focus on the real type and you become very adapt to what to consider or toss aside as a psychological effect.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

As I say, I would like a scientific, psychological reason for this, but it feels like someone else calling me. This may be an illusion stemming from the reality of the sound of the voice. All this is not a big thing in my life, just an interesting and curious phenomenon for me.

Easy answer. Does the voice sound familiar? If it does then ask the person vague questions about them maybe wanting to see you or something of that nature. If it's not familiar I wouldn't worry about it.

12 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I know you're just being sarcastic, but those closed-minded fact-hating believers might think you're serious.  You're not serious, are you?  Don't get tired of being right all of the time, embrace it and let the unwashed masses flow around you....you can't be touched, you can't be stopped.

:)

First part of my comment was sarcasm the rest was serious. When someone ask a question wanting an answer and I present one (though adamantly at times) I'm offering help. My experiences with the occult have taught me that it's largely a mind game. Ghost are as real as you want them to be, same with every other spooky thing. Yes there are things that I think are possible. Well two things but I keep them at arms length till factual evidence shows they are real is presented. 

If I explained how energy healing works one group would agree and another group wouldn't. In some cases become quite aggressive about it. Some days I don't see the point in explaining things. People live by their assumptions and beliefs, often looking for anything or anyone to confirm them. 

• Like 4

I believe we must share what we have learned ourselves to help others especially new time experiencers through the usual anguish they  feel from a first time possible experience not generally understood or explained by science yet.

I also believe most are explainable but some are not. We always have to explore the explainable psychological and natural ways of each occurrence first since they are the most common form.

Thanks for the advice, help offered and concern. Actually, internally hearing my name called spread out fairly equally in a life of 72 years I think is not indicative of any serious mental or emotional health problem. I consider it just an unexplained curiosity and don't take it too seriously.

As for the wisdom of my subconscious mind, I don't think the poor thing that it is is any more wise or insightfully intelligent than my conscious mind. What I mean is, my conscious mind is mainly my subconscious mind revealing itself through consciousness.

If my subconscious was so smart, why would it keep from me all this smartness? Why keep its wisdom to itself while allowing me to make stupid mistakes all my life? :)  Though, thinking back, many of my stupid mistakes in life have perhaps been blessings in disguise, so maybe my subconscious is smarter than I give it credit.

I consider the mind mostly fumbling around trying to cope with and understand various situations. It mostly muddles through. I can't give myself or other humans much credit for mine or their rational behavior. Perhaps, as a species, we give ourselves more credit, repute, esteem and prestige than we are due.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

why would it keep from me all this smartness?

tumblr_mn4wib76ow1ss06tho1_400.gif

Because too much smartness all at once will blow your mind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

Thanks for the advice, help offered and concern. Actually, internally hearing my name called spread out fairly equally in a life of 72 years I think is not indicative of any serious mental or emotional health problem. I consider it just an unexplained curiosity and don't take it too seriously.

As for the wisdom of my subconscious mind, I don't think the poor thing that it is is any more wise or insightfully intelligent than my conscious mind. What I mean is, my conscious mind is mainly my subconscious mind revealing itself through consciousness.

If my subconscious was so smart, why would it keep from me all this smartness? Why keep its wisdom to itself while allowing me to make stupid mistakes all my life? :)  Though, thinking back, many of my stupid mistakes in life have perhaps been blessings in disguise, so maybe my subconscious is smarter than I give it credit.

I consider the mind mostly fumbling around trying to cope with and understand various situations. It mostly muddles through. I can't give myself or other humans much credit for mine or their rational behavior. Perhaps, as a species, we give ourselves more credit, repute, esteem and prestige than we are due.

RE:

Searching my memory, I can remember four instances in which I heard my name called.

You aren't crazy.  As far as the incident in the bar goes, someone might have challenged someone else by putting emphasis on the second syllable of "Come ON!" since the last word rhymes with and sounds like Ron.  Voices inside one's head are another thing.  When rare, they might easily be shrugged off; otherwise, I can only recommend one's having a fervent prayer life.

The conscious and subconscious mind are generally tasked with and, thus, good at different things.  While each of us spends a portion of our days muddling through life the best we can with what we are provided, purposefulness more keeps some on track than others.  I, however, make so many promises to others that I am forever in keeping my word--

It is about time I reconsider what I absolutely must do, but, for now, it's back to work--

Have a good weekend.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sometimes the terms subconscious and unconscious mind are interchangeable.

One was to make the un- or sub-conscious conscious is to get drunk. Then the real you comes out. Sometimes I think the conscious mind exists to protect the subconscious from getting you a black eye. The subconscious is glad for the protection of the conscious mind, but it must feel frustrated that it doesn't allow itself to express itself freely.

While the conscious mind is busy being socially proper and politically correct, the subconscious is usually thinking dark thoughts about the situation (the truth), not daring to allow the conscious to articulate what it really is thinking. Again, trying to keep the body from a painful bloody punch-up. :)

XenoFish, I would agree in general about the illustration. I think the subconscious mind determines our day to day behavior more than our conscious mind does. Much of the time our conscious mind just goes along for the ride.

I wrote in one of my blogs that the subconscious actually determines the content of the conscious. For instance, when my consciousness thinks a thought, that thought is actually conceived in the subconscious. Who thinks the thought that thinks the thought? If my consciousness is actually the origin of thought, I would consciously have to think the thought that constructs the thought I want to think.

So, when a new thought occurs in my conscious mind, it has already been conceived in my subconscious mind and forwarded to my consciousness. My conscious mind, fool that it its, considers that thought to be original to itself, when it is really a way for my subconscious to get me to do something it wants me to do.

• Like 3

I consider the conscious as the observing mind. Information from senses is processed consciously. Stored and sorted in the subconscious, where it can then be consciously recalled. Depending on the experience and/or repetition some actions/thoughts become sub/unconsciously performed.

• Like 3

When your neurology is inbetween wake, and asleep; information (processes) meant for somewhere else can go where it normally wouldn't. 

microsoft-powerpoint-classification-of-s

I've had auditory hallucinations before in this state. It can sound real because it's being inserted through the same pathway you sense such stimulus. Being from the subconscious adds to the mystic just by the very nature of the subconscious. 

You can hallucinate something you don't even remember, or abstract concepts that form thoughts not put together yet.

• Like 2

To whom it may concern,

I should never have brought up a sore familial conflict within this setting to invite the types of misunderstandings common to this medium, e.g. an undirected reply appearing under an unrelated comment that results in everything else's being misconstrued.  I'm sorry, XenoFish, that circumstance caused me to second guess something whereabout you had previously been clowning.  

Peace be with y'all.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2016 at 10:56 PM, susieice said:

I've heard what sounded like someone calling me when I wasn't home or going to sleep. I've heard it when walking down the street, and no one is there that would know my name. I've heard it at work too. I even went to my coworkers and asked them if they called me and they said no. I swore someone called my name. I don't know why this happens, but other people have told me it happens to them too. Maybe it's something to do with our subconscious minds. It's just playing tricks on us.

I have this a lot. I'm doing my business and then I hear my mom called me. I come down and asked if she called me and she says no. I wasn't even going to sleep! It's really werd and since this is happening a lot I'm wondering if I have psychosis or not. That might explain why my thoughts are always hell when I'm at unease, even with the little things, and I feel like there's a spear going trough my chest. Or maybe that's just my anxiety going over the top again ;^; 

I'm an idiot

5 hours ago, Aly Momo said:

I have this a lot. I'm doing my business and then I hear my mom called me. I come down and asked if she called me and she says no. I wasn't even going to sleep! It's really werd and since this is happening a lot I'm wondering if I have psychosis or not. That might explain why my thoughts are always hell when I'm at unease, even with the little things, and I feel like there's a spear going trough my chest. Or maybe that's just my anxiety going over the top again ;^; 

I'm an idiot

Nah, you are not an idiot.  You sound pretty normal to me.  I'm always hearing people talking...not schizo or anything...it's just noise that sometimes sounds like voices...and today I heard my daughter call out my name...in Wal-mart of all places...she wasn't even there.

Anxiety...it can mess with your head.   Anxiety is born of fear.   Find your fear.   Deal with your fear.  The anxiety will dissipate. :)

Welcome to the forum!