Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid Impact Emergency Planning Exercise

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA and FEMA Conduct Asteroid Impact Emergency Planning Exercise

What would we do if we discovered a large asteroid on course to impact Earth? While highly unlikely, that was the high-consequence scenario discussed by attendees at an Oct. 25 NASA-FEMA tabletop exercise in El Segundo, California.

The third in a series of exercises hosted jointly by NASA and FEMA -- the Federal Emergency Management Agency -- the simulation was designed to strengthen the collaboration between the two agencies, which have Administration direction to lead the U.S. response. “It’s not a matter of if -- but when -- we will deal with such a situation,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, Associate Administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “But unlike any other time in our history, we now have the ability to respond to an impact threat through continued observations, predictions, response planning and mitigation.”

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 1

I do understand that asteroids are a real thing and can be a real threat but every time i hear about it I cant help but think of Aaron Russo's purported conversation with a Rothschild family member in which he told Russo that Once the cold war was over the new threat would be terrorism and that once the public stopped buying the propaganda about terrorism that the military industrial complex would move on to claiming threats from outer space  in order to ensure its revenue streams. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I do understand that asteroids are a real thing and can be a real threat but every time i hear about it I cant help but think of Aaron Russo's purported conversation with a Rothschild family member in which he told Russo that Once the cold war was over the new threat would be terrorism and that once the public stopped buying the propaganda about terrorism that the military industrial complex would move on to claiming threats from outer space  in order to ensure its revenue streams. 

At least FEMA isn't doing a Zombie emergency exercise this time around LOL

• Like 1

Thank God. For the first time in human history, we have the technology to actually help ourselves...let's not squander the chance

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jpjoe said:

As long as it's used to attack china

If we do that, you'd not have much of what you do now.  There is very little that we have in this country anymore, that some part of it doesn't come from China. 

Would be interesting to see the model used to translate the mass and velocity of the asteroid to the consequential physical damage. Nonetheless, perhaps worthy preparation for the fallout from the US presidential election.

Shouldn't we be just as worried about the Moon creeping closer to us in its orbit?  That would be a whole lot harder to get rid of or shove a bit to change its path, not to mention the effects of it's gravitation forces.  Of course I'll be long gone.  I'll let someone else worry about it.

9 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Shouldn't we be just as worried about the Moon creeping closer to us in its orbit?  That would be a whole lot harder to get rid of or shove a bit to change its path, not to mention the effects of it's gravitation forces.  Of course I'll be long gone.  I'll let someone else worry about it.

The moon isn't moving closer, it is moving away from us a wee bit every year.