Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your favorite speeches of all time?

spartan max2

Hey there , im just curious what peoples favorite speeches of all time are. Be it from moviea, shows, presidents, leaders etc.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

That's an interesting choice. What lead you to pick it?

It contains more wisdom condensed into 35 seconds than most politicians say in a lifetime. :unsure2: 

• Like 1

Eleanor Roosevelt's speech in response to the Pearl Harbor attack.

I watch the Sportspalast speech of Goebbels every few months, I try to comprehend what being in the world at a time when this nazi machine of derangement was operating would have been like... Hitler and Goebbels were spellbinding orators, there's energy in abundance around their speeches (a lot of what was around them artificially augmented such as the carefully chosen participants at the Sportspalast one but they were talented public speakers all the same). Goebbels had charisma coming out of his pores and the content of his rhetoric whilst florid and passionate, is always rather disturbing and hard to square with the fanfare and flow of the oily illusion it represented, these people truly believed in what they were attempting even though it was utterly unacceptable to the majority of the world.

The ''total war'' sermon from Goebbels was an inspiring speech on the surface, I appreciate that if little else. This was made after the ungodly battle of Stalingrad where the germans were finally repelled on the eastern front, this is where things started looking grim for them and Goebbels demands a total war from the public to try and claw back the sense of majestic dominance they'd cloaked themselves in when they'd started expanding across a stunned europe. There is no possibility of losing the conflict in his mind whatsoever despite odds looking increasingly shorter, the speech is fascinating against the backdrop. I also read he was attempting to persuade Hitler to give him more control of the war economy.

Edited by DancingCorpse
  • Like 2

George W Bush - State of the Union Address

(the one he gave in the after-hours, when C-SPAN was turned off)

4 hours ago, DancingCorpse said:

I watch the Sportspalast speech of Goebbels every few months, I try to comprehend what being in the world at a time when this nazi machine of derangement was operating would have been like... Hitler and Goebbels were spellbinding orators, there's energy in abundance around their speeches (a lot of what was around them artificially augmented such as the carefully chosen participants at the Sportspalast one but they were talented public speakers all the same). Goebbels had charisma coming out of his pores and the content of his rhetoric whilst florid and passionate, is always rather disturbing and hard to square with the fanfare and flow of the oily illusion it represented, these people truly believed in what they were attempting even though it was utterly unacceptable to the majority of the world.

The ''total war'' sermon from Goebbels was an inspiring speech on the surface, I appreciate that if little else. This was made after the ungodly battle of Stalingrad where the germans were finally repelled on the eastern front, this is where things started looking grim for them and Goebbels demands a total war from the public to try and claw back the sense of majestic dominance they'd cloaked themselves in when they'd started expanding across a stunned europe. There is no possibility of losing the conflict in his mind whatsoever despite odds looking increasingly shorter, the speech is fascinating against the backdrop. I also read he was attempting to persuade Hitler to give him more control of the war economy.

That can be translated as "we badly underestimated the opposition, which has put us in a perilous situation. Get ready to die in droves at the front "

:D 

• Like 2

A novel staging of the iconic American political speech, Lincoln's Gettysburgh Address

• Like 1

Plenty of great orators and memorable speeches by leaders of nations and politicians ... but in the end most of them are merely mouth pieces with some notable exceptions like Sir Winston Churchill ...

I have a soft spot for one that was never meant for the public by Jeffrey Katzenberg ... which inspired Cameron Crowe when he wrote Jerry Maguire's mission statement

~

~

The original memo :

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Some Thoughts on Our Business

20 years ago, in January of 1991, a very critical 28-page internal memo — written by the then-head of Disney's film studios, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and distributed to his fellow executives in an effort to refocus their approach — was leaked to the press, and instantly became talk of the industry. The recent release of the big-budget Dick Tracy movie had been a disappointment and, as a result, Katzenberg was desperate to recapture the magic of old and rid his studio of their extremely costly "blockbuster mentality." This fascinating, highly quotable memo was his mission statement. Its subsequent circulation in Hollywood caused a huge stir.

• letter of note link

~

The JFK speech. dunno if its my favorite but it is captivating.

Does this count?

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! — I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Patrick Henry