Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Wall

Sweetpumper

And if they put them on top of the wall they'd serve as spikes to prevent people climbing over! And they could light them up internally, that'd look cool. :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

And if they put them on top of the wall they'd serve as spikes to prevent people climbing over! And they could light them up internally, that'd look cool. :D 

I doubt they would be consider spikes, they are pretty big and heavy, which means you could climb over them without any problem. If they were smaller scale, then I could see them used as spikes.

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Like a castle, we could build a moat too...

moat not mote. 

Edited by Ellapennella
edit

On 2/8/2017 at 5:29 AM, acidhead said:

Well I suppose as long as we're allowed to vote we're going to vote in statists as a whole.   But I'm optimistic through the use of tech and speed of communication eventually individuals will see the light and harness the power of the market.  See through the hurdles of beauracracy and a more efficient society emerge.

Reg. Technology  it's also replacing humans in the workplace. I do not utilize self service checkouts as tempting as they may be because they replace jobs. Amazon I heard has opened or is opening a grocery chain store that is completely self service. 

2 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

I do not utilize self service checkouts as tempting as they may be because they replace jobs.

Nor do I, not because they're placing humans but because they're so ********** annoying. "Unexpected item in bagging area. Remove this item immediately." (There is no item, so you put an item there and then remove it to satisfy it. Then it goes "Place items in bagging area." So you place the items " in the baggage area. Then it goes "Unexpected item in bagging area.". So you throw a can at it and stomp out in a huff, leaving your shopping behind. :angry: 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Nor do I, not because they're placing humans but because they're so ********** annoying. "Unexpected item in bagging area. Remove this item immediately." (There is no item, so you put an item there and then remove it to satisfy it. Then it goes "Place items in bagging area." So you place the items " in the baggage area. Then it goes "Unexpected item in bagging area.". So you throw a can at it and stomp out in a huff, leaving your shopping behind. :angry: 

lol

All that time shopping,  wasted. There are fast food places that say they're going  to replace workers with machines. 

Edited by Ellapennella
typo

The biggest problem with finding a useful solution is that the border is just so freakin huuuuge.  And there is really nothing that can be justified at that scale.

No, there is one thing, that i mentioned before.  In my youth, I arrogantly (in all fairness, that's the only way I know how to) proposed a new "Panama Canal" running the entire border.  I intended a massive, modern, double-wide system capable of managing not just modern cargo ships, but future ones as well.

Unfortunately, it was a class on planning and logistics, and i rapidly discovered that (technological limitations aside), there was no way in hell a 2000 mile long trench was going to ever be economical, no matter how many ships used it.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

The biggest problem with finding a useful solution is that the border is just so freakin huuuuge.  And there is really nothing that can be justified at that scale.

No, there is one thing, that i mentioned before.  In my youth, I arrogantly (in all fairness, that's the only way I know how to) proposed a new "Panama Canal" running the entire border.  I intended a massive, modern, double-wide system capable of managing not just modern cargo ships, but future ones as well.

Unfortunately, it was a class on planning and logistics, and i rapidly discovered that (technological limitations aside), there was no way in hell a 2000 mile long trench was going to ever be economical, no matter how many ships used it.

A 2000 mile wall is just as uneconomical.  Remove "economical" from the equation and a 2000 mile new canal is feasible.  Remember when we had the petition to build a "death star"?  The whole logic behind that could be applied to the construction of the wall or canal : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/White-House-Petition-Death-Star,20431.html

From the Death Star petition: "the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense."  (The wall or canal wouldn't be space exploration of course)

Feasible, sure (although my engineering professor later pointed out I was in distinct danger of flooding 2/3rds of Arizona).  But yeah, if we are going FDR-style new economy, I would just as soon have them fix up America's crumbling infrastructure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aquatus1 said:

Feasible, sure (although my engineering professor later pointed out I was in distinct danger of flooding 2/3rds of Arizona).  But yeah, if we are going FDR-style new economy, I would just as soon have them fix up America's crumbling infrastructure.

The SW does have a water shortage....  And this way you can sell fixing some of the infrastructure as "National Security". 

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Why I don't shop at Wal-mart.   If you think the automated checkouts are bad you should checkout the human employees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I have to admit, self-served checkouts are not what those expected them to be, in my area. Years, when they started, there were three super market companies or more, I believe that had them. Now, only one chain decided not to get rid of them, like the other companies. And to make sure or at least not give customers the incentive not to steal, there are random checks and such that the one chain left has done.

Either way, I sometimes switch whether I want to see a cashier or use it myself. I do feel, make the cashier, who is personable and dependable in helping you, be of service. As a head cashier, I sometimes also feel, I have the skills to use the self-checkout. Other times, if I'm in a hurry, a lot of the self-checkouts are open, where there are lines in other registers. 

• Like 1

I guess my point is: If we are going to engage in grand uneconomical projects, instead of focusing on medieval technology (a wall) we should do a grand high technology project.  A wall is probably as disastrous to the ecology as a canal possibly flooding a good chunk of Arizona. So a canal like you described with desalination plants and purposeful flooding to create artificial beachfront property sounds like a good waste of money to me.

• Like 1

technology fails, walls not so much,  i agree we must use tech in addition to walls, but not instead. 

i too think canal would be waste,  we build walls for 1000s of years, they seem to be doing the job in vast majority of cases/

• Like 1

It is demented thinking to actually think (actually believe) that:

1. The drugs and rapes we have to worry about are those which come from Mexico.

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence

2. The only terrorism we have to worry about is that which comes from radical Islam.

http://media2.wcpo.com/photo/2015/04/19/okc_bombing_20100419104740_640_480_1429451000112_17037316_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

3. The only violence we have to worry about is that which comes from someone else.

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/

You can tell some people that murder rates are at a 47 year high, and they still won't stop believing in a liar.

Add something that's newer technology to the medieval technology?   Just skip the medieval technology!   It's a non-solution to a hyperinflated problem that was used to garner political support in an election.  Why even give it the time of day?

• Like 2

not only but in addition, yes we have terrorists in the house , drug dealers in the house, same for violence, however it is not a reason not to try to stop more of them coming from abroad.

i do not get it, here i see many say wall is stupid, ban is stupid, so that should make not doing anything smart in their mind, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

not only but in addition, yes we have terrorists in the house , drug dealers in the house, same for violence, however it is not a reason not to try to stop more of them coming from abroad.

i do not get it, here i see many say wall is stupid, ban is stupid, so that should make not doing anything smart in their mind, 

It should politically, in a black and white world where it's a wall or nothing, where it's a ban or nothing.   The wall is stupid.  The ban is unconstitutional.  

Maybe we can think of something else, just as soon as Donald Trump does.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

right we could, so what stopped us from doing it before?

The American Psyche.  We politicize a problem and then politicize the solution. Non-partisan and practical ideas are alien to us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

right we could, so what stopped us from doing it before?

Politics.  It's always politics.   Or what Gromdor said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

The American Psyche.  We politicize a problem and then politicize the solution. Non-partisan and practical ideas are alien to us.

You're kinda doing that too when you surrender to the wall idea by attaching something else that's arguably-smarter to it.   Stop the wall cold!  

If however we want the fedgov to micromanage our factory farms, there's a lot to be said there already.

You're engaging in the classical bipartisanship of compromise which makes all our giant federal wastes of money possible.   You get some of what you want, they get some of what they want, everyone's happy, and the debt goes to the moon. 

Enough!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

in that case,  thanks god for trump breaking this political cycle,  and actually doing something, even thou not all agree on effectiveness.

Obama was a virtual libertarian now that Trump's in charge, or so the spin goes.

• Like 1