Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Wall

Sweetpumper

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

I guess my point is: If we are going to engage in grand uneconomical projects, instead of focusing on medieval technology (a wall) we should do a grand high technology project.  A wall is probably as disastrous to the ecology as a canal possibly flooding a good chunk of Arizona. So a canal like you described with desalination plants and purposeful flooding to create artificial beachfront property sounds like a good waste of money to me.

How about a force field? Has anyone thought of that? That'd be one for the boffins at the Pentagoon to have a go at.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

technology fails, walls not so much,  i agree we must use tech in addition to walls, but not instead. 

i too think canal would be waste,  we build walls for 1000s of years, they seem to be doing the job in vast majority of cases/

You need something really clever to get round a wall. Something like this perhaps.

Image result for trojan horse

Watch on on the border for Mexicans bearing suspiciously large wooden horses!  

• Like 1

lol, i think mexicans are light years ahead of trojan horse builders, the way they smuggle people in dashboards, seats  of cars, and engine compartments,  they are pros at smuggling.

however  modern tech helps a lot, my simple  thermal vision i use at work, will spot a person hidden behind 99% of materials.  i can see wires\pipes beams behind walls, i can even see foot steps for a minute or so. i can only imagine what military stuff can see,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

Feasible, sure (although my engineering professor later pointed out I was in distinct danger of flooding 2/3rds of Arizona).  But yeah, if we are going FDR-style new economy, I would just as soon have them fix up America's crumbling infrastructure.

They could build a road along the top. The speeding traffic would prevent anyone from reaching the other side. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Gromdor said:

The SW does have a water shortage....  And this way you can sell fixing some of the infrastructure as "National Security". 

On the plus side, it would drain off ocean water, and reduce the amount of sea rising caused by Global Warming. Win-win!!

5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

They could build a road along the top. The speeding traffic would prevent anyone from reaching the other side. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, it would drain off ocean water, and reduce the amount of sea rising caused by Global Warming. Win-win!!

I'd suggest a monrail, or a maglev, like they have in China. 

Think what fun that'd be. Admittedly, it mightn't necessarily go anywhere that people want to go, but they could market it as a theme park ride. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I'd suggest a monrail, or a maglev, like they have in China. 

Think what fun that'd be. Admittedly, it mightn't necessarily go anywhere that people want to go, but they could market it as a theme park ride. 

OOOOOOooooo....... Yeah, I like it. Maybe with an electrified rail to prevent barefoot intruders from crossing the rails? The solar spikes could power the whole thing..... :tsu:

This is three years old, but it's not just Hispanics walking in. An eclectic variety of nationalities from over 75 countries enter illegally every year along our very porous frontier.                                                https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/18857-immigrants-from-over-75-countries-illegally-crossing-us-border

Edited by Hammerclaw

41 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

This is three years old, but it's not just Hispanics walking in. An eclectic variety of nationalities from over 75 countries enter illegally every year along our very porous frontier.                                                https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/18857-immigrants-from-over-75-countries-illegally-crossing-us-border

I remember about a year ago they caught six Pakistani young men coming across the desert into Arizona.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/19/exclusive-6-men-from-pakistan-afghanistan-busted-illegally-entering-arizona-from-mexico/

The FBI grabbed them up quick, so little news came out about if they had any violent connections or not.

Edited by DieChecker

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I remember about a year ago they caught six Pakistani young men coming across the desert into Arizona.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/19/exclusive-6-men-from-pakistan-afghanistan-busted-illegally-entering-arizona-from-mexico/

The FBI grabbed them up quick, so little news came out about if they had any violent connections or not.

Pshaw.  If they were dangerous, then Afghanistan/Pakistan would have been on Trump's banned list....

Edited by Gromdor
autocorrect
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

OOOOOOooooo....... Yeah, I like it. Maybe with an electrified rail to prevent barefoot intruders from crossing the rails? The solar spikes could power the whole thing..... :tsu:

That is inhumane. Expect lawsuits.

7 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

It's not inhumane, climbing the wall would be voluntary. Plus the energized rails would have a wall on both sides, thus implying danger. Then all the Feds need do is post a sign (In Spanish) to stay off the wall. Fair disclosure, no lawsuits.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Pshaw.  If they were dangerous, then Afghanistan/Pakistan would have been on Trump's banned list....

And there are no CIA drones loaded with hellfire missiles flying over Pakistan. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

They would throw a mat over the rail and walk across.  I'd be more worried about getting hit by the train.

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

They would throw a mat over the rail and walk across.  I'd be more worried about getting hit by the train.

Excellent. That's the kind of thinking that I'd want in my illegal immigrants. Thinkers welcome. Hearing about dead bodies and people wandering in the desert makes me wonder how many smart people come across in this fashion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

Excellent. That's the kind of thinking that I'd want in my illegal immigrants. Thinkers welcome. Hearing about dead bodies and people wandering in the desert makes me wonder how many smart people come across in this fashion.

That's just it.  Someone who travels thousands of miles across deserts, foreign countries, can scale our walls, evade our border patrol, and then take away a job from an American can't be that dumb/incompetent. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

If they didn't want to potentially get injured or shot or whatever, why not not try to enter the country illegally? 

32 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

You have no problem with someone who doesn't agree with your views being assaulted at a snowflake melt-down, but God forbid someone entering this Country (ILLEGALLY) gets shocked. Right.  Your warped.

Here is an idea. Make the wall out of solar panels and have the sun pay for it :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am a proponent of the Wall but at the same time, I am not all that keen on the need to build an actual wall (perhaps segments in key areas).  My concern is with the manning of the Wall or just simply the Southern Border.  Anything built by Man can be defeated and without it being actively manned, is no barrier.  I have no problem with the hype to build the Wall because ultimately, whatever we can get won’t be turned away.  And I could care less if Mexico pays for it.

In the clip below, you’ll see trucks that have arms with surveillance cameras on the end extended up into the air.  Sometimes when a crossing occurs, they end up chasing the illegals and they will forget to retract the arm when they pass under an overpass.  The equipment takes a beating.  My wife used to repair those cameras.  She knows the need for resources.  When I was in the Marine Corps, we participated in an exercise along the Southern Border in California.  I was with a Recon unit and we would take Border Patrol with us to show them our patrol techniques.  Needless to say, we were all rabbits and mountain goats when it came to going through terrain and the BP would have difficulties keeping up with us.  But we were constantly cutting across trails and running into signs of people having been in the area very recently during the day or even in the dead of night.  We were sure some were still around but just out of sight.  It takes people to root out these hiding spots.

A fortress-like wall is effective but perhaps over kill as such a structure is best to defeat a frontal assault (which we are not facing).  The Point-of-Entrys are where the majority of smuggling occurs but that can easily change.  When we become more efficient at stopping the smuggling at the PoEs, other places will become more attractive.  Here in New Mexico, we can use our open space to defeat smugglers and infiltrators.  Whatever the actual barrier it turns out to be, you still need the manpower.  That’s why I’ve suggested modifying the Selective Service and utilize that resource.  But the report below, I think is a good objective look.  At least from my experiences.

http://www.kob.com/politics-news/border-patrol-technology-personnel-needed-more-than-fortified-wall-new-mexico-president-donald-trump-politics/4412799/?cat=500

• Like 3

On 2/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, thedutchiedutch said:

Here is an idea. Make the wall out of solar panels and have the sun pay for it :D

That’s really not a bad idea.  Whatever the barrier becomes, just mount solar panels on top.  How much energy would that produce?  Some of that could be used to feed the Wall defenses.

12 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

That’s really not a bad idea.  Whatever the barrier becomes, just mount solar panels on top.  How much energy would that produce?  Some of that could be used to feed the Wall defenses.

There are no plans for wall defenses.

They would not be allowed as we are not at war and they would kill civilians. Human rights violations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

They would not be allowed as we are not at war and they would kill civilians. Human rights violations.

Comeon though you know thats where this is going. I imagine once the reichstag burns (which based on this AM's news about sessions will probably be soon) it will be blamed on someone crossing the border and the majority will rush to demand that the border is militarized. 

I would love to be wrong BTW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

First, I don't think the wall should have defenses, merely armed patrols.  However, how do you reconcile the use of deadly force to stop trespassers at Area 51?  If someone doesn't heed warnings, they can be shot...  no war, what about human rights?  I would expect the same goes here... if you don't heed the warnings you can be injured, or even killed, trying to cross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

If there is going to be a Wall, there will be wall defenses.  That doesn’t mean that these defenses are going to be used to kill people.  Wall defenses would be battery packs, recharging stations, lights, sensors, cameras, drones, power, etc.  With a renewable energy resource, the Border Patrol could replace their vehicles with electric.

• Like 2