Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mummy found in Luxor

seeder

Millennia-old mummy belonging to a servant of warrior king Thutmose III's household is discovered in 'very good condition' in Luxor

The find was in a tomb probably dating from between 1075-664 BC
    The mummy had been bound with linen stuck together with plaster
    It was in a brightly coloured wooden sarcophagus
    The tomb was likely to have belonged to a nobleman named Amenrenef
    Found buried near a temple from the era of warrior king Thutmose III

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3931978/Millennia-old-mummy-belonging-servant-warrior-king-Thutmose-III-s-household-discovered-good-condition-Luxor.html#ixzz4PubHTkUD

• Like 7

Millennia-old mummy belonging to a servant of warrior king Thutmose III's household is discovered in 'very good condition' in Luxor

If Amenrenef lived between 1075-664BC, it means he lived several hundred years after Thutmose III, who reigned 1479–1425 BC. So Amenrenef could not have been a servant of Thutmose III.

Edited by Black Monk

3 hours ago, Black Monk said:

If Amenrenef lived between 1075-664BC, it means he lived several hundred years after Thutmose III, who reigned 1479–1425 BC. So Amenrenef could not have been a servant of Thutmose III.

So what you're saying is this is not in fact a find of Thutmose importance?

• Like 8

Perhaps we should ask Kmt-Sesh...sounds like one of his relatives.

6 hours ago, Hanslune said:

You meant descendant right?

2 hours ago, Jarocal said:

You meant descendant right?

Why no while Kmt-Sesh might live like a Pharaoh I would not consider it an overly decadent life style....okay the 40 resident priests is bit over the top but I do like his Volkswagen re-imaged as a solar boat.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:45 PM, Calibeliever said:

It looks amazingly well preserved.

I noticed that, too.  It surprises me have well the pigments used in ancients paints hold up to the ages.  true the paints weren't exposed to the elements, but 3000 years is one long time.

• Like 2

It was probably painted with ocher (yellow and red, you make red but heating yellow) and Egyptian blue.

Ocher is what they paint Lascaux with, it's forever. Or at least, humanity will die out before your art change hue.

Egyptian blue is another lasting pigment which was discovered in Ancient Egypt.

• Like 1

On November 14, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Hanslune said:

On November 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Hanslune said:

Why no while Kmt-Sesh might live like a Pharaoh I would not consider it an overly decadent life style....okay the 40 resident priests is bit over the top but I do like his Volkswagen re-imaged as a solar boat.

I've never met Mr. Amenrenef and don't think we're related, although perhaps we were neighbors at some point.

I also dubt there's any connection to Tuthmosis III. Amenrenef's coffin is of the cartonnage type, and would date to Dynasty 22 or 23; I personally would hazard a guess of early to mid-Dynasty 22, based on the design. That's Third Intermediate Period, whereas Tuthmosis III reigned in Dynasty 18 of the New Kingdom. Whatever the case, it's a beautiful coffin. Due to the plaster base and varnish, pigments on cartonnages often preserve really well.

I've never owned a Volkswagen but, funny you mention it, because I've always kind of wanted to drive one.

• Like 2

On a separate and unrelated note, I might as well use this moment to apologize for my extended absence. I spent the last week in the hospital and am now on dialysis, which sounds awful and does indeed suck, but because of treatment I'm already feeling better than I have for quite some time. I'm back home now.

Let me know if anyone has a spare kidney. That's probably the only way I'll get off dialysis. I don't think our mummies' kidneys at the museum will be of any use (if they even still have theirs).

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 3

Here I am again. This is what happens when I haven't posted in a week, and there's something ancient Egypt to discuss.

I think I understand the mistaken connection with Tuthmosis III. The little tomb was found by the Tuthmosis III Temple Project, which is in Deir el Bahri. This is also where you find the sprawling temple-tomb of Montuhotep II (Dynasty 11) and of course the massive mortuary temple of Hatshepsut (Dynasty 18). This specific area is filled with tombs and burials dating from the Middle Kingdom through the Late Period, and probably beyond (I'm pulling from memory). Some even date back to the Old Kingdom. So Amenrenef has nothing to do with Tuthmosis III but was one of many officials buried in or near his mortuary temple. Chalk it up to internet media writers with limited knowledge trying to increase reader interest.

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

On a separate and unrelated note, I might as well use this moment to apologize for my extended absence. I spent the last week in the hospital and am now on dialysis, which sounds awful and does indeed suck, but because of treatment I'm already feeling better than I have for quite some time. I'm back home now.

Let me know if anyone has a spare kidney. That's probably the only way I'll get off dialysis. I don't think our mummies' kidneys at the museum will be of any use (if they even still have theirs).

I was worried it was something. Your absence was noted, and your presence missed. 

Give a day, and I'll scrounge up a kidney. All I need is a short dress, some alcohol, and tool.

• Like 4