Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pluto 'has slushy ocean' below surface

Waspie_Dwarf

Pluto 'has slushy ocean' below surface

Pluto may harbour a slushy water ocean beneath its most prominent surface feature, known as the "heart".

This could explain why part of the heart-shaped region - called Sputnik Planitia - is locked in alignment with Pluto's largest moon Charon.

A viscous ocean beneath the icy crust could have acted as a heavy, irregular mass that rolled Pluto over, so that Sputnik Planitia was facing the moon.

The findings are based on data from Nasa's New Horizons spacecraft.

arrow3.gif  Read More: BBC News

Yes, Pluto is looking more interesting than Mars right now.  It's a shame it takes so long to get there.

14 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Yes, Pluto is looking more interesting than Mars right now.

Define "interesting".

Different scientists with different specialities will be interested in very different worlds.

To make the blanket statement that Pluto is more interesting than Mars is blatantly nonsense.

3 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Yes, Pluto is looking more interesting than Mars right now.  It's a shame it takes so long to get there.

I think they are both very interesting but for very different reasons.  I would say that Pluto is the bigger surprise as I can't think of anyone predicting how very different that planetoid is than what we all expected; it will certainly provide years of research and is, even now, changing the way we think about KB objects.  Mars is interesting because it is far more likely to have humans roaming it, maybe in some of our lifetimes, than anything in the KB.   It is far more earth-like and there fore provides a relatively close planet that we can test exoplanets against.  The more data we have on Mars the better we will be able to judge the characteristics of distant exoplanets and the Curiosity rover has been invaluable to that field of study. A truly incredible machine with years more service.

23 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Define "interesting".

Different scientists with different specialities will be interested in very different worlds.

To make the blanket statement that Pluto is more interesting than Mars is blatantly nonsense.

why so harsh bro .

Was an innocent statement. in my view all space related stuff is interesting.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2016 at 9:18 PM, AdealJustice said:

why so harsh bro .

Was an innocent statement. in my view all space related stuff is interesting.

He's not harsh, he's just drawn that way