Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Europe Could Place Carbon Tax On U.S. Goods

rashore

The world is plotting how to push back against the climate change-denying future Trump administration. Apart from continuing on with the Paris agreement, which is now legally active, Nicolas Sarkozy – the former French president – has touted a rather interesting idea.

As reported by Grist, Sarkozy told French television channel TF1 that, should he be reelected, he would demand that the entirety of Europe place a carbon tax “of 1 to 3 percent for all products coming from the United States, if the United States doesn’t apply environmental rules that we are imposing on our companies.”

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/europe-carbon-tax-american-goods-trump/

More silly anti-Trump spite. That source sounds from its sarcastic tone about as unbiased as the Washington Psot. 

• Like 9

Note that M. Sarkozy, who's angling for power once again, and hoping that everyone will forget that he was largely responsible for the successful Libyan intervention, is the one behind it, and hoping that he can ride the wave of anti-Trump sentiment. Vindictiveness that he defeated his old pal H. Clinton, who was his ally during the Libyan adventure, has nothing at all to do with it of course. 

• Like 6

so france wants to punish us for electing trump, and get rich from it.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

More silly anti-Trump spite. That source sounds from its sarcastic tone about as unbiased as the Washington Psot. 

Yesterday I had to actually change settings to limit the deluge of negative Trump stories from that rag.  I heard a report yesterday that 119 articles had been written on Trump's win/transition and that not ONE was in any way positive.  My guess is that this will continue even if he makes positive changes.  Of course, the same would have probably been true from the Right, had HRC won.  I really hope Trump might get behind a Convention of States and help it to advance.  The Republicans will delay and even fight him along the way if he deviates from any of their plans so I hope he gets things done as quickly as possible.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aztek said:

oh, please he is not denying climate change, he is denying global warming, not the same thing.

When he does away with the EPA and any environmental regulations, and he signs off on all the pipelines that are running through our water...when he outlaws any research that links fracking to earthquakes, and when Republican states disallow anyone to use climate science in creating environmental policy...what friggin' difference will it make what the wording is? 

Same effect. Just like oh...no one's really a racist, but...somehow all these polling places magically shut down in minority areas, and they got illegally pulled off the voting rolls in large numbers. 

Same difference.

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

When he does away with the EPA and any environmental regulations, and he signs off on all the pipelines that are running through our water...when he outlaws any research that links fracking to earthquakes, and when Republican states disallow anyone to use climate science in creating environmental policy...what friggin' difference will it make what the wording is? 

Same effect. Just like oh...no one's really a racist, but...somehow all these polling places magically shut down in minority areas, and they got illegally pulled off the voting rolls in large numbers. 

Same difference.

dear lord, your paranoia is getting to higher and higher levels. I should really find something else to look at on youtuve than liberal conspiracy websites (also known as every single media outlet). 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

dear lord, your paranoia is getting to higher and higher levels. I should really find something else to look at on youtuve than liberal conspiracy websites (also known as every single media outlet). 

I haven't said anything that hasn't literally come from his mouth, or already been done by Republican controlled states. You can easily check it all out.

Oh...and about all that anti-Wall Street for the working class Joe business...he wants to do away with Dodd Frank. Get everyone losing their houses again. 

Edited by ChaosRose

See this is what he does. He convinces everyone that they can't believe anyone else but him...and maybe Breitbart. Lol. So whenever you encounter actual news, you shut your eyes and ears. Although he is constantly lying to you. 

• Like 1

This already happened in 2012. It has the actual House Bill for ya, although you'll still try to call it liberal media bunk.

A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue had until Thursday to act on the bill known as House Bill 819, but she decided to let it become law by doing nothing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjN6_SgjbDQAhXGyVQKHY04BaIQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FUS%2Fnorth-carolina-bans-latest-science-rising-sea-level%2Fstory%3Fid%3D16913782&usg=AFQjCNHUM6BKms_KeYuR7u4TRuK_19DdFw

44 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Same difference.

when did he say he would do any of that.  right now the sioux are fighting to keep a pipeline from running through standing rock.  the company is operating without permeates or licenses and obama does nothing.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 2

Everyone seems to want a piece of the poutrage and whining and sore loser-dom going on here, even Europe.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

This already happened in 2012. It has the actual House Bill for ya, although you'll still try to call it liberal media bunk.

A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue had until Thursday to act on the bill known as House Bill 819, but she decided to let it become law by doing nothing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjN6_SgjbDQAhXGyVQKHY04BaIQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FUS%2Fnorth-carolina-bans-latest-science-rising-sea-level%2Fstory%3Fid%3D16913782&usg=AFQjCNHUM6BKms_KeYuR7u4TRuK_19DdFw

this way if nothing happens she can sayu she didn';t stand in its way and if something does happen she can say she didn't support it.

Europe may want to examine who buys more goods from whom and then realize that tariffs can go both ways.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Everyone seems to want a piece of the poutrage and whining and sore loser-dom going on here, even Europe.

Nothing to do with being sore losers. Your government (finally) made a commitment to cut emissions and actually tackle this problem. Your incoming government wants to go back on that promise. You can't make a decision to mess up our atmosphere and our countries and not expect us to respond.

Good for Sarkozy. Hope other signatories follow his lead.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Setton said:

Nothing to do with being sore losers. Your government (finally) made a commitment to cut emissions and actually tackle this problem. Your incoming government wants to go back on that promise. You can't make a decision to mess up our atmosphere and our countries and not expect us to respond.

Good for Sarkozy. Hope other signatories follow his lead.

You're very trusting of the motives of Europe's political leaders. How anyone can trust anything Sarkozy says is a very great mystery.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

You're very trusting of the motives of Europe's political leaders. How anyone can trust anything Sarkozy says is a very great mystery.

I'll be honest, I don't really care if his motive is the same as mine. So long as someone has the guts to take Trump to task over this. This is probably the most important issue he hasn't a clue about and people need to put pressure on him to stop being an idiot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Setton said:

/facepalm

Just now, Setton said:

Wow. Not sure I can match that level of intellectual debate.

I only needed to post to your level.  Because I seriously doubt that you'd handle an actual debate without resorting to your usual fanaticism.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I only needed to post to your level.  Because I seriously doubt that you'd handle an actual debate without resorting to your usual fanaticism.

Sure. That must be it. Couldn't be a lack of substance on your side :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

Sure. That must be it. Couldn't be a lack of substance on your side :rolleyes:

/facepalm

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I haven't said anything that hasn't literally come from his mouth, or already been done by Republican controlled states. You can easily check it all out.

Oh...and about all that anti-Wall Street for the working class Joe business...he wants to do away with Dodd Frank. Get everyone losing their houses again. 

you mean those who lost their houses after dodd frank went bankrupt.  sounds like they're heading down that road again.

9 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Dodd/Frank caused US banks to give loans to people who could NOT AFFORD them.  That may seem racist to you but the bottom line is that is the truth.  The banks knew they would take a beating when those loans failed so they made lemonade by using every shortcut the law allowed  - and many it didn't to make billions.  I think you may be correct about us revisiting that stupidity though.  It boggles the mind.

• Like 1