Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
fresno1011

Precognition

27 posts in this topic

fresno1011

Alright, so I'm going to admit something: sometimes, I'll see things, whether in dreams or just a passing thought, that will later come true. For example, I once talked to a girl I never knew before and knew she was going to be pestered by a classmate after lunch. There are other things, but that's a big example.

My problems is that most of the time, I'll think of these things and think nothing of it until the event comes to pass. And by then, it seems sort of a useless thing.

Anyone else have stories like this, or have any insight to what's up with this?

• Like 2

ellapenella

There is a gift that I have but I don't like to say it. I feel like when I say it , it doesn't feel as humbling  to me, as the gift really is.

fresno1011
3 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

There is a gift that I have but I don't like to say it. I feel like when I say it , it doesn't feel as humbling  to me, as the gift really is.

Now I'm curious as to what this gift is! But if you don't want to share, that's alright.

• Like 1

MissJatti

I also have dreams, that happens, a few days later in real life

• Like 1

ellapenella
14 minutes ago, phantom189 said:

Now I'm curious as to what this gift is! But if you don't want to share, that's alright.

Well, I knew that you would be in like that sense because you're also wanting to understand more of yours.

fresno1011
Just now, Ellapennella said:

Well, I knew that you would be in like that sense because you're also wanting to understand more of yours.

Yep, but I'm ok with what information is given to me willingly, rather than being annoying and pestering people :) 

ellapenella
Just now, phantom189 said:

Yep, but I'm ok with what information is given to me willingly, rather than being annoying and pestering people :) 

Can I ask you something about you? do you beat yourself up about it? like, you knew but didn't listen to how or why you knew something? if that makes any sense to you...

fresno1011
34 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Can I ask you something about you? do you beat yourself up about it? like, you knew but didn't listen to how or why you knew something? if that makes any sense to you...

Well, it hasn't been anything too big yet, so not really. I mostly try not to pay attention to it, makes me feel like I'm living in a book or something.

And like I said, usually I don't realize it was anything more than a passing thought or idea until it becomes reality. Mostly it's a bunch of deja vu. 

ellapenella
18 minutes ago, phantom189 said:

Well, it hasn't been anything too big yet, so not really. I mostly try not to pay attention to it, makes me feel like I'm living in a book or something.

And like I said, usually I don't realize it was anything more than a passing thought or idea until it becomes reality. Mostly it's a bunch of deja vu. 

yeah... the doubt in self awareness of it though, like ignoring it, brushing it off as not much of anything at all to pay attention to is something that a lot of people do. I've done it & I wish that I hadn't . I let distractions of everyday life take priority over something that i could have,  maybe prevented...

• Like 1

oldrover
3 hours ago, phantom189 said:

Alright, so I'm going to admit something: sometimes, I'll see things, whether in dreams or just a passing thought, that will later come true. For example, I once talked to a girl I never knew before and knew she was going to be pestered by a classmate after lunch. There are other things, but that's a big example.

My problems is that most of the time, I'll think of these things and think nothing of it until the event comes to pass. And by then, it seems sort of a useless thing.

Anyone else have stories like this, or have any insight to what's up with this?

Two stories that stand out. 

First, I was at a wedding, early 2000's, I was a minor guest, but a friend and ex partner (business partner) of the groom, so I knew the family too. To cut it short, one of the bridesmaids walked into the chapel, and I was bowled over, she was (up until I met my mrs) the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life, no doubt.  

At one point in the reception, I was sitting at an outside table, and the bride's maid was at another some distance away. I had a strong, sudden, premonition that she was going to come over and say 'are you a....... (insert my job title here)?, to which I knew I'd reply, 'an ex......', then she'd say, 'why, what do you mean ex?', which would lead to a conversation, and so on. 

Within I'd say a minute of that thought, she walked up to me and asked, 'are you the .... who smokes to much?'. I said 'ex...', other than the smoking reference it played out exactly as I imagined.

Bear in mind I hadn't ever heard of this woman before, let alone seen or met her, and when she approached me was the first time I'd either spoken to her, or anyone had ever mentioned her to me.

Second story happened about two years ago. I was in my local supermarket totally focused on a work issue, which was completely occupying me at that time. Suddenly I started to wonder how I'd explain to someone what Stellar's sea ape* was. I'm guessing I don't have to emphasis that that's a bit of an obscure subject, and one that had absolutely nothing to do with what I was thinking about. 

* An obscure, and almost certainly misidentified animal, described by the naturalist Georg Stellar, from one observation. Would have been forgotten, but Stellar is famous for other discoveries. Most notable of which is that he was the man who gave his name to extinct huge northern Pacific sirenian known as Stellar's sea cow. 

I got home from the supermarket and happened to check my e-mails after putting the shopping away. Whilst I'd been out (total of 40 minutes or so) I'd had an E-mail titled 'The sea-cow man, back in the limelight'. It was about his sea ape sighting. My thought about the subject, and the arrival of the e-mail enquiry on the same topic coincided in time by no more than 20 minutes difference.

The person who sent it and I had never discussed it previously, we'd both have known the other would have been aware of Stellar, but as the E-mail explained, he'd never heard of the sea ape until recently. 

Would you say, that either of these stories would be likely to suggest that I'd got some sort of precognitive abilities? 

Edited by oldrover

fresno1011
57 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Would you say, that either of these stories would be likely to suggest that I'd got some sort of precognitive abilities? 

Wow, the first one, probably. I'm not so sure about the second one, you did say you were aware that the other was aware of the sea ape (unless I'm reading that wrong). I'm not sure what how many people in the world have these sorts of abilities though, so perhaps you do at some level.

oldrover
37 minutes ago, phantom189 said:

Wow, the first one, probably. I'm not so sure about the second one, you did say you were aware that the other was aware of the sea ape (unless I'm reading that wrong). I'm not sure what how many people in the world have these sorts of abilities though, so perhaps you do at some level.

He'd recently become aware of the sea ape, but, he'd have known that I was aware of the man who named it Georg Stellar, because we'd both have been aware that the other would know about the sea cow. 

The point not being that he e-mailed me about the sea ape, rather that at almost exactly the same time as he E-mailed it to me, I suddenly went from what I was thinking about to the sea ape. 

I think me constantly typing sea ape is confussing this, especially for me. So, put it another way. I went from thinking about something intently, to suddenly thinking about a very obscure subject, within about 20 minutes of a E-mail arriving on that exact same subject. Which I discovered on my return. 

Edited by oldrover

fresno1011

@oldrover wow, that's fascinating

XenoFish

So coincidence is consider precog now?

• Like 1

oldrover

@ Phantom189. The thing is about both of them, is that although they might seem to be strange and almost impossible to explain, they're perfectly mundane. You, quite rightly, spotted the flaw in the second story earlier. 

They're both basically coincidences, the second much more so than the first, but nothing else. It's a question of context, and how you perceive it. 

Both stories are true. Obviously though, in both cases, but the first particularly, lots of details about what's happening around us, that we notice and process, but don't necessarily realise at the time. Go on to influence us and lead us to assess how likely it might be that something may happen, later on when we get it right, especially in detail, we tend to think of it as prophetic. And forget the details. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

oldrover
13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So coincidence is consider precog now?

Not by me.

Edit: my point being that coincidence may be the main part of apparent precognition, but there are other factors too, which tend to get overlooked. Especially when we look back at an event, and again, particularly if we attach some importance to it.

Edited by oldrover

XenoFish

So do you believe people can see the future or just some facsimile of it? Because I can run through a dozen+ possible scenarios about tomorrow and only one of them might be true. 

oldrover
10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So do you believe people can see the future or just some facsimile of it? Because I can run through a dozen+ possible scenarios about tomorrow and only one of them might be true. 

Sorry, do you mean me?

XenoFish

For all those who claim to have some psychic gift it never seems to do anything provable.

Edited by XenoFish
Fixed to end confusion.
  • Like 1

oldrover

You and anyone else in this thread. For all those who claim to have some psychic gift it never seems to do anything provable.

Yeah, but if read what I posted I clearly said that I had no such gift. I cited two examples which may have been mistaken for something like precognition, to illustrate the point I was making. Which was that in fact, there's a perfectly mundane series of events which, when combined with coincidence can produce a pretty compelling, but false, impression that such psychic abilities exist. 

I'd have thought that was fairly clear to be honest. 

• Like 1

XenoFish

And I asked an open ended question address to anyone.

oldrover

And I asked an open ended question address to anyone.

About which I asked if you meant me, to which you replied

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You and anyone else in this thread. For all those who claim to have some psychic gift it never seems to do anything provable.

So, you can see my confusion. If you didn't mean me, replying to a question of mine with the word 'you' was a little misleading. 

XenoFish

There I've changed my post. That should end confusion.

• Like 1

Thorvir

There I've changed my post. That should end confusion.

I had a vision of this happening.

• Like 2

XenoFish
Just now, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I had a vision of this happening.

I've had a lot of visions, but the beer goggles aren't in full effect.

• Like 1