Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man injected with genetically-edited blood

Still Waters

A world where DNA can be rewritten to fix deadly diseases has moved a step closer after scientists announced they had genetically-edited the cells of a human for the first time using a groundbreaking technique.

A man in China was injected with modified immune cells which had been engineered to fight his lung cancer. Larger trials are scheduled to take place next year in the US and Beijing, which scientists say could open up a new era of genetic medicine.

The technique used is called Crispr, which works like tiny molecular scissors snipping away genetic code and replacing it with new instructions to build better cells.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/11/20/new-era-of-cut-and-paste-humans-close-as-man-injected-with-genet/

• Like 4

When he turns into a zombie, perhaps!! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NorthenerON said:

I'm voting best comment I've seen in 2016 MissJatti.

Awwwee that's so sweet ^^

Very exciting stuff. I can't wait to hear the results of the trial.

• Like 1

I hope this works.  I hope the T-cells don't attack everything after the protein has been "turned off".  There are a few new cancer drugs out there that claim that as a side effect.

• Like 1